Building a nb stash - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-30-2010, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm sure you guys get this question a lot, but I can't find a thread. So here goes ..

I started CDing DS when he was 4 months. So I have 24 infant indian prefolds, a few size small fitted diapers & covers, a whole bunch of medium fitteds & covers, and premium prefolds that DS is in now (he's skinny so he may PL out of these diapers).

Anyhow, I have a bunch of fabric, have made several diapers for DS, and would like to build a stash for our new bean before he/she is born. How many should I make and what size? Any particular pattern recommendations? I'll be making fitteds and using covers. Oh, and DS was born at 7lb 13oz and I doubt DC2 would be much, if any, smaller.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 02-01-2010, 05:45 AM

I'd get/make some more smalls or even OS dipes. My little guy can pee right through a PF and wool at this point (picture him sitting on my knee and urine is hitting the floor), but he's still too small for Meds in most brands - heck, most of his smalls still fit on the smallest or 2nd snap setting.

Right now though I'm definitely preferring OS dipes though - they give us a better customizable fit and they're far more absorbent than most SM dipes.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 6 Old 02-06-2010, 10:49 AM

I'm making my newborn stash right now. My boys were born at 8 lb and 7 lbs 12 oz, but both had skinny little chicken legs. I am making some of the free smaller ddnb diaper pattern--I have 16 cut out which just need to add snaps and serge. I will also be making a ton of fattycake newborns which run a bit bigger, and then round out my stash by making a few diapers from all the other patterns I have--I'm a pattern junkie, lol. I don't want to have to wash everyday so I plan on having at least 3-4 dozen newborn diapers, if not more. I am strictly making fitteds--pocket and quick dry with covers-pul and wool, for the newborn stage for extra protection. Might be overkill, but a friend of mine had over 50 newborn diapers and said it wasn't too many, especially with all the breastmilk poo. To save me from sewing a stash of each size, I plan on making a bunch of one size diapers for after the newborn stage. I will still use some sized diapers, as I have put away my boys small and medium diapers and covers until this one can use them.

I didn't cloth diaper my 1st until he was 18 months, I cloth diapered my 2nd from birth, but just did prefolds and covers for the first 1-2 months since I had hardly any nb diapers made, and the ones I did have gapped in his legs since they were so skinny.

If you want some great tips and reviews on patterns and much more, I'm a member of this awesome diaper sewing board-- http://www.diaperdivas.proboards.com Would love to see you there!!

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#4 of 6 Old 02-06-2010, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!

My little guy is also pretty skinny. I've made VeryBaby and Rita's dipes for him. The medium VB is fine for him circumference wise (at 24 months) but they pinch the top of his legs. The one large I made is too big around. Same pinching problem with the Rita's except they're supposedly OS. I haven't made new dipes for him in a while since I'm expected to PL in the next few months but if I did I would modify the VB pattern to increase the rise and modify how I add the elastic. And the snaps. I like the front closure but the single row of snaps just isn't that great.

Anyhow, I've been thinking about getting a Fattycakes pattern since the ones I've bought for DS have been awesome, even though I do prefer front closure. What is a ddnb? I'm not familiar with that pattern. Also, thanks for the link to the sewing board. I'll take a look at that too.

I've been thinking for after the NB phase, I might buy some FuzziBunz for overnights. Right now we're using BG3.0 for overnights but I'm really not liking the velcro.

Loving DH geek.gif, raising DS1 learning.gif(01/08) and DS2 bfinfant.gif(10/10), caring for cat.gif x 3 .
#5 of 6 Old 02-07-2010, 07:59 AM

The ddnb is the darling diapers newborn free pattern. She makes the darling diapers unlimited pattern which is a paid pattern with tons of variations and instructions. She provided her old pattern for free, which is listed at www.darlingdiapers.com There is a link at the bottom to the free pattern. She has 2 versions on the pattern--one a smaller ddnb and the regular size. I am personally making about 16 of the smaller one, just because even though both my boys were decent sized, they had the skinniest chicken legs, so I think this will fit better right at the start.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
#6 of 6 Old 02-10-2010, 06:28 PM

Here is a link to a pic of the beginning of the new beans stash. 16 ddnb quick dry fitteds and one lonely fattycake pocket fitted--all knit outers and velour inners. http://tinyurl.com/yhlzef3

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page