Easy DIY Valentines for Preschoolers? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We need to make Valentines for DS to hand out at preschool. I'm looking for cute, easy ideas that we can make together.
#2 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits & Gravy View Post
We need to make Valentines for DS to hand out at preschool. I'm looking for cute, easy ideas that we can make together.
My 3 yo DD and I are taking squares of cardstock, she'll trace a heart using a stencil we have. Then "paint" glue inside the heart shape and glue on small squares of tissue paper, kind of overlapping. I'll write her classmates names, she'll "write" hers (we're not quite there yet ) and DONE! We're also starting today and doing a few each day so as not to get overwhelmed.

~~Kristina~~ Mama to DS(10/30/01), DD1(VBAC 3/28/04) and DD2(HBAC 5/21/06)
#3 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
My 3 yo DD and I are taking squares of cardstock, she'll trace a heart using a stencil we have. Then "paint" glue inside the heart shape and glue on small squares of tissue paper, kind of overlapping. I'll write her classmates names, she'll "write" hers (we're not quite there yet ) and DONE! We're also starting today and doing a few each day so as not to get overwhelmed.
I am doing a similar thing with my 5yo. She traced a heart onto cardstock and cut it out. We picked out a Bible verse about love that she put on each one (wouldn't do this with a 3yo). She is decorating each one as she wants using some glue, hearts, a couple different types of ribbon, some glitter glue, and some markers if she wants. She works on them a little each day.

Beth wife to Tom and mommy to Therese 11/4/04 Anna Mary 6/15/07 and Veronica 10/20/09
#4 of 14 Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 PM

We're using pre-folded white cards. Will decorate with glitter and glue and foam heart and monkey stickers. I'll write a 'roses are red, violets are blue' poem inside and he'll write his name at the end.

One happy mama to 1/06 , 3/10 , and married to my best friend
#5 of 14 Old 02-04-2010, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
My daughter is four and I have a lot of extra craft stuff to use up.

I cut some card stock into post card sized pieces and cut out a bunch of hearts in some cute printed craft paper (no idea why I have a big fat pad of craft paper sitting around, but this is the second round of cards I've gotten out of it). She's glued the hearts to the paper.

I'm planning to punches holes around the edges because she LOVES lacing and let her lace around the edge and tie a bow in the corner (again, I have extra that's not being used for anything).

For the back, I think I'm going to write "LOVE, HER NAME" on the back in glue and let her glitter over it...because apparently I just love sweeping?
#6 of 14 Old 02-04-2010, 09:20 PM

Last year we did heart shaped potato stamps. I cut out small rectangles of card stock and dd stamped them with poster paint and wrote her name on them. We also sprinkled some sparkles on while the paint was still wet.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#7 of 14 Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 PM

So glad others are doing hand made valentines for preschool. My not quite 3 year old just had his class list sent home today. They specifically say that it is not necessary to do valentines at all, but if we do, to include every child, which I totally agree with. Anyway, I was thinking it would be a fun art project to make them ourselves. I love the idea of little cards with potato stamps and glitter. I have some old scrap book paper (from pre-baby days ) that would look perfect cut into little cards that he could glitter up. One question though, do you make an envelope for them too? Or just send them in as is?

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#8 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 01:54 PM

I just sent them as is.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#9 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
For the back, I think I'm going to write "LOVE, HER NAME" on the back in glue and let her glitter over it...because apparently I just love sweeping?
Hey, me too!

We do the cardstock thing too, though Martha Stewart Living has some cute and easy Valentine projects for kids: http://www.marthastewart.com/photoga...r-kids#slide_1 They always have great ideas!
#10 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 05:48 PM

Great thread. Thanks!

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#11 of 14 Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh, the Martha crayon hearts are SO cute.

I just the internet!
#12 of 14 Old 02-06-2010, 03:10 AM

Hi,
I just want to share my blog with you--it is full of great artsy crafty ideas for little ones. Hope you visit soon!
Gail
http://alwaysarting-colorcolorcolor.blogspot.com/

Mommy of 2 sweeties, staying warm and making things!
#13 of 14 Old 02-08-2010, 05:13 PM

DH and I spent Sunday afternoon making cards with DS. He's 3.5 and has 16 classmates. I cut construction paper into small cards, while DS used a large heart-shaped paper punch on pink, red, and purple paper. He glued one heart on the inside and one on the outside of each card. He also wanted to punch out a heart on the card, so we let him. Then we came back and using a $1-bin stamp from JoAnn that said "Be Mine", added the stamp to the front of each card. Meanwhile, DH made paper envelopes for each card. DS signed his name with mommy's help in the cards. Then I stuffed the cards in the envelop and DS glued valentines stamps on each card, which I down-loaded and printed from here: http://www.thetoymaker.com/Holidays/...alentines.html (I love this site!).
#14 of 14 Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Ideas I have used/are using for Valentines with the boys are:

1. Various heart stamps on plain white cardstock squares

2. Glitter glue in assort colors to draw designs or using a heart stencil

4. Foam hearts (walmart $4) that are basically peel and stick

5. cut out small 1x1 squares of tissue paper and scrunch them up and had them glue them around some construction cut out hearts.

I've seen white cardstock cut out shapes in hearts/squares/rectangles in craft sections or you can do your own with cardstock or construction paper.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page