PUL alternatives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2010, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would love to use PUL to make some diaper covers, but absolutely can't afford it. I've seen some patterns for recycling wool sweaters and blankets into covers and am going to try those. Does anyone have any suggestions for other thrift store type items that I could recycle into waterproof (or at least water resistant) diaper covers? Would changing pads or waterproof crib covers work? Where can I find lanolin super cheap to treat the wool sweater covers with? I am not an advanced sewer by the way. TIA for any suggestions!

Homeschooling, homebirthing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, APing, UC, super crunchy mom to Ezra(9), Adrian(5), and Lily(May 15) : Non-vaxed mom and babes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 01:41 PM

For lanolin, if you have any Lansinoh hanging around, use that. 1/4 inch-1/2 inch of lansinoh, mix with a bit of baby soap(I use some stuff I got at the dollar store) and some water, microwave for about 30 seconds, and then mix into the tub of water you're going to do your lanolizing in.

I don't know if I'd use the changing pads or mattress protectors though. They're rather thick and stiff. I've had great luck with wool sweaters myself, it's pretty much all Ds wears during the day.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Cool. Thanks.

Homeschooling, homebirthing, co-sleeping, breastfeeding, cloth diapering, APing, UC, super crunchy mom to Ezra(9), Adrian(5), and Lily(May 15) : Non-vaxed mom and babes
Old 02-04-2010, 05:02 AM

Wool is great because it can be used over and over, unless it gets poo on it of course. Knit acrylic can also work as a diaper cover but it has to be washed every time. Fleece works great as a diaper cover too but also must be washed every time.

Rebecca, CPST, Navy wife to Chris, furmama to Fenway
Old 02-06-2010, 10:37 AM

I love using recycled wool! I've bought tons of sweaters from the thrift store since they are so cheap. I wash and dry on hot once to felt and then cut and sew. The covers I've made from wool sweaters have been much better than my pul covers. I over lanolized mine which has made the time between lanolizing last longer. You could also try using poly fleece blankets to make covers, using probably 2 layers, or an extra layer in the wetzone.

For a lanolin source, you could use the lansinoh nipple cream, but I've seen a huge jar for only $5 at health food stores which had at least 3-4 times the amount than the lansinoh tube has.

Michelle , wife to Ray, mama to Anthony(12/20/05), Bryant(01/08), Carisma (08/21/10) , step ma to Amber(12/13/94), : :
Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 PM

I wouldn't use the mattress pad covers. The thing with pul is that the holes from sewing it seal when you dry it it the dryer. The mattress pads covers won't ~ so you will have leakage. I would go with wool or even use some fleece. If you happen to find some fleece pants from some of the high end stores ~ Lands End, Old Navy, etc ~ those would work as fleece diaper covers without having to do anything. If you have some fleece laying around the house or find a thicker fleece blanket at the thrift store you can use that to make fleece covers, too.

~Charlene~ Mama to 6 wonderful kiddos and one more on the way!

User Tag List