Does this exist? Iron on Fabric... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-04-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking to do a craft for my son's birthday that involves making robot t-shirts. I'm thinking about making the robot on the t-shirts ahead of time and then they can do the face and buttons, on front, etc. They could paint, but they're all about 2.5-3 years old and I'm thinking if I could find something that I could cut into shapes, they could assemble the shapes on the robot and they I could iron it, that that would work out pretty well.

Does that kind of thing exist pre-made? Kind of like iron on pant patches, but in larger quantities/more colors?

Thanks!
#2 of 3 Old 02-04-2010, 09:18 PM

What i've done with projects like that is use double sided fusible interfacing. The interfacing comes with plastic film on one side and paper baking on the other. I peel off the plastic and fuse that side to pieces of fabric. Felt works well as it doesn't fray. Then I cut out shapes. I can draw the shapes on the paper first but remember it will be the reverse side that shows. Then I peel off the paper and iron it on just like the iron on patches.

Let there be beauty and strength, power and compassion, honor and humility, mirth and reverence within you.)0(
#3 of 3 Old 02-05-2010, 05:47 PM

Wonder Under is a fusible interfacing that works "wonders"!

I have fused one side to random pieces of fabric (cut into shapes I wanted) with an iron, then fuse that to the main item (in your case, the t-shirts).

You could make pieces ahead of time (first step above completed) and let the kids arrange whichever pieces they like, then you could iron it on while another adult entertains the kids. Each child could go home with their very own handmade shirt.

You need the t-shirts (or you could use pillow cases or canvas bags or anything you want that can withstand high heat from the iron), Wonder Under, random pieces of fabric, iron, muslin (or scrap piece of fabric large than the finished "robot"), and samples for the kids to see.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page