how do you decide how much to charge for knitting something? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 02-08-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I knitted a blanket and baby hat for a friend - not a good enough friend that I'd "give" it to her, but good enough that I willingly spent about 3 weeks making it.

If I were to count the hours, it would be cost prohibitive. So, what does a person do?

thanks!

http://philhyde.smugmug.com/gallery/...76897168_vnbL3

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#2 of 14 Old 02-08-2010, 07:23 PM

How much did the yarn cost? If you're not going to charge what your time is worth, then the rule of thumb I've heard is to triple the cost of supplies. But, if you used cheap-ish yarn, that may not be that much at all. Triple the cost of supplies if it's at least what you'd pay for something like it at Target (IOW 3x a skein of Red Heart is too cheap, but 3x a skein of Malabrigo wouldn't be).

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 14 Old 02-08-2010, 07:28 PM - Thread Starter

hmm. the yarn cost $31. wow. I bought the yarn on clearance, and I thought I was getting an awesome deal (which I was), but when I add it up an triple it, it sounds like a lot!!!

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#4 of 14 Old 02-08-2010, 07:32 PM

ooooo - oooo! I know the answer. It was posted - somewhere else here and apparently comes from a sig of someone else on Ravelry.

Knitting is like sex: If I like you, it's free, otherwise, you couldn't pay me enough!

OK not helpful, but applicable. I would say 2-3x the cost of your materials if you think an hourly rate is cost-prohibitive.

Third generation WOHM. I work by choice.
#5 of 14 Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 PM

is she totally going to freak at a $93 baby blanket? It is beautiful by the way.... you going to post a link to the pattern?

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#6 of 14 Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 PM

Isn't this something you discuss when the person asks you to knit for them?
#7 of 14 Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM

For a friend, if she agreed beforehand to pay supplies and labour, I couldn't go more than 2x the supplies, in this scenario anyway. If she had no clue you were making it though, I'd only ask her to cover the supplies if she wants it.

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#8 of 14 Old 02-09-2010, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

thanks, y'all. yes, she offered to pay - each time she asked how much, though, I'd be reminded that I have no idea!!!

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#9 of 14 Old 02-10-2010, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would go about $50-$60 unles it is something like cashmere.

people really underestimate how much materials are on stuff like this.

ask your friend what she was expecting to pay....

next time be sure you set a price before buying the materials and spending the time doing it. I don't have a problem saying "here is how much/how much more materials/special materials you requested cost and here is how long it takes to make it so here is how much i am going to need to make it worth my time."

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#10 of 14 Old 02-25-2010, 02:29 AM

Ive sold knit things many times and often after i don't regret it but don't feel satisfied. i don't like knitting for others especially if they don't value it like i do so make sure you ask what you think its worth if she does not want it for that orice she wont treat it for its worth

bfinfant.gifcd.giffamilybed1.gifnovaxnocirc.gifmomsling.GIFsewmachine.gifknit.gifMama to Gavin, Lily, and Soren 
#11 of 14 Old 02-25-2010, 12:29 PM

First off, that blanket is really lovely.

In regards to how much to charge? It depends on the garment and the materials. Say if you are making a sweater out of cascade 220. Generally speaking you would use like 1200 yrds. At lets just round up to 7 a skein that would be 42 dollars for the materials. But say it takes you a month to knit it. $126 isn't enough money for you time AND materials to make a decent profit. I would charge AT LEAST $175 for the sweater. See what I mean?

What I would do for you friend is charge her double the materials. Explain to her that you gave her a rather deep discount because she is your friend. Tell her that normally this blanket would be around $100 because of the yarn you bought and the time it took you. Really stress the time. The reason I say to explain this to her is because say if someone sees her out and asks her where did she get it. If she tells someone she bought it off of you because you made it for $60, then that person is going to expect that you do the same blanket for the same amount of time. And that is just shooting yourself in the foot. Also, I make it my personal mission to educate the masses about what really goes into knitting and the quality of the product. The thing is that we live in a society where you can go to target and get a "knitted" baby blanket for 30 bucks made out of acrylic and people think that is great!.
If you plan on doing this again, make sure you charge for your time and the materials appropriately. You knitting is worth it!

lady Mummy to Smoosh, 8-2005. Waldorf inspired homeschooler and crazy knitter!
#12 of 14 Old 03-09-2010, 07:21 PM

I have heard the cost of materials + 1.5 x's cost of materials. If you bought the yarn on sale, I'd go with the original cost of the yarn.
#13 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 PM

hmm that is a toughy- since she is a friend...Also it would depend on if she is aware of knitting, the time it takes and the quality of yarn material used etc... Also is it gonna be a heirloom type of blanket? Clueless friends probably wouldn't want to spend more than $40-$45? But a person who is aware of the beauty and labor of love that goes into such a thing would not balk at more $.
It is pretty much up to you and how comfortable you are in asking _____ price.
GL!

SAHM to 2 girls Born 8/2004 and 10/2007. Happily married. California living. Also on Diaperswappers, TBW and Ravelry.
#14 of 14 Old 03-18-2014, 05:44 PM

check out the web site etsying.  That is how I figure how much to charge.  I also don't use complicated patterns.  I use patterns that work up fast.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page