wool soaker question for sizing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 02-11-2010, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello ladies,
I'm preparing for our little one who is due in May. I have decided to use wool soakers with some of the cloth diapers we'll be using. I found some patterns online and have been learning all I can about the joys of wool soakers in recent weeks. Since I don't know how to knit yet (but will be learning through all this!), my mother knit one soaker that stated it was size 0-6 months. It's absolutely huge...I would say it would fit a one year old or even bigger. So I soaked/lanolized it thinking the hot water would shrink it a bit to the size it's meant to be...still the same size. We could use it later on, as the baby will grow I know. But since this is the pattern we have, I wondered if there was a way to shrink it a bit, so they would have a slightly tighter weave (unless a 'normal' weave is good) and it would fit for these first 6 months. My initial method was to put it in hot water with a bit of lanolin for 30 minutes. I then dried it by the wood stove. What if I soak it longer, keeping the water hot, then put it in the drier? anyone know what would happen? We did use 100% wool.
I think there may be a pattern for newborns, which would maybe fit 0-6 months...so we have a backup. Just trying to figure out what's going to work before we continue with the knitting.
Thanks!
Renee

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In my experience wool covers look quit a bit bigger off than on, once you actually put them on they are filled out nicely. Also, cloth diapers take up a decent more amount of space than disposables. You may be surprised when you try it on, it may not be as big as you thought.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page