What do the different quilting terms mean?? - Mothering Forums

What do the different quilting terms mean??

JessicaS's Avatar JessicaS (TS)
03:11 PM Liked: 34
#1 of 3
03-03-2010 | Posts: 42,897
I don't know what some of this stuff means.

What is the difference between a "jelly roll," "charm pack," "honey bun," and a "layer cake"

It seems like "fat quarter assortments" are much more expensive than "jelly rolls"

Is there some sort of standard?
sabrinat's Avatar sabrinat
12:47 PM Liked: 11
#2 of 3
03-04-2010 | Posts: 1,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I don't know what some of this stuff means.

What is the difference between a "jelly roll," "charm pack," "honey bun," and a "layer cake"

It seems like "fat quarter assortments" are much more expensive than "jelly rolls"

Is there some sort of standard?
I'm no expert so I'm not sure on all of them. You could check a site like "allpeoplequilt" too. But, a jelly roll is 2.5" strips, usually containing fabrics from the same collection. A charm pack is 5" squares from a collection. A layer cake is 10X10 squares from a collection. I'm not sure about the honey bun though. FQ pack should cost more because it's more fabric, it's 18 X 22 I believe.
Smokering's Avatar Smokering
07:19 PM Liked: 1614
#3 of 3
03-05-2010 | Posts: 8,316
I got a "dessert roll" once - that was 5-inch by 44-inch strips. I think a layer cake is a bunch of fat quarters, folded into squares? You can also get apple turnovers, which are triangles of fabric.

I find some of the pre-cut stuff a bit gimmicky, but other cuts - particularly jelly rolls - have a lot of tutorials and quilt patterns specifically designed for their use. I have a jelly roll currently waiting in line to be used up, after I've completed my 247 other projects-in-waiting...

Fat quarter bundles are great for making baby and toddler clothes! They all mix and match, so you can use plainer fabrics for the "base" of tops, dresses etc and use the floral/printed stuff for accents. If you do it right you can get a whole coordinating throw-anything-on wardrobe.
Reply Subscribe Arts & Crafts