What do the different quilting terms mean?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-03-2010, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know what some of this stuff means.

What is the difference between a "jelly roll," "charm pack," "honey bun," and a "layer cake"

It seems like "fat quarter assortments" are much more expensive than "jelly rolls"

Is there some sort of standard?

Not all those who wander are lost 
#2 of 3 Old 03-04-2010, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by abimommy View Post
I don't know what some of this stuff means.

What is the difference between a "jelly roll," "charm pack," "honey bun," and a "layer cake"

It seems like "fat quarter assortments" are much more expensive than "jelly rolls"

Is there some sort of standard?
I'm no expert so I'm not sure on all of them. You could check a site like "allpeoplequilt" too. But, a jelly roll is 2.5" strips, usually containing fabrics from the same collection. A charm pack is 5" squares from a collection. A layer cake is 10X10 squares from a collection. I'm not sure about the honey bun though. FQ pack should cost more because it's more fabric, it's 18 X 22 I believe.

Sabrina , mom to 4 fab kids!

#3 of 3 Old 03-05-2010, 06:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I got a "dessert roll" once - that was 5-inch by 44-inch strips. I think a layer cake is a bunch of fat quarters, folded into squares? You can also get apple turnovers, which are triangles of fabric.

I find some of the pre-cut stuff a bit gimmicky, but other cuts - particularly jelly rolls - have a lot of tutorials and quilt patterns specifically designed for their use. I have a jelly roll currently waiting in line to be used up, after I've completed my 247 other projects-in-waiting...

Fat quarter bundles are great for making baby and toddler clothes! They all mix and match, so you can use plainer fabrics for the "base" of tops, dresses etc and use the floral/printed stuff for accents. If you do it right you can get a whole coordinating throw-anything-on wardrobe.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page