Love your sewing Machine? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-12-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm in the market for a new one and am looking for recommendations. I have a super basic Babylock that is about 13 yrs old and is just falling apart. I'd like to find something with that I can have some fun with, will last, and I can progress with and do more sewing. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, but don't want to get a cheapo that won't last either.
Any thoughts of where to begin looking?
Thanks!!!
#2 of 9 Old 03-12-2010, 01:15 PM

what's your budget?

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
#3 of 9 Old 03-12-2010, 01:20 PM

I have a Janome and i do love it and will never buy any other brand. I have been looking at many Janome machines on Overstock.com; they have quite a few, from basic bare bones mechanical to computerized, etc, and at amazing prices. There is one for only $223 (i think; its definitely around that price) that does a blanket stitch and has an alphabet (its small though). And you can get a mechanical all metal model for well under $100. They also have deals on both of the threadbanger models (last i checked); the higher end of those machines (think its the 30; not the 12) looks pretty bad@ss.
I really recommend Janome. All their machines have an easy needle threader and the 1 step automatic buttonhole is an awesome feature available on many of their machines.
I am saving to buy a Janome serger; the 1100d has a blanket stitch and coverhem and i can't wait to get it.

Mama to 3 boys 

#4 of 9 Old 03-12-2010, 04:43 PM

Moved from Arts and Crafts to Sew, Serge, Embroider

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#5 of 9 Old 03-12-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
I have a Janome and i do love it and will never buy any other brand. I have been looking at many Janome machines on Overstock.com; they have quite a few, from basic bare bones mechanical to computerized, etc, and at amazing prices. There is one for only $223 (i think; its definitely around that price) that does a blanket stitch and has an alphabet (its small though). And you can get a mechanical all metal model for well under $100. They also have deals on both of the threadbanger models (last i checked); the higher end of those machines (think its the 30; not the 12) looks pretty bad@ss.
I really recommend Janome. All their machines have an easy needle threader and the 1 step automatic buttonhole is an awesome feature available on many of their machines.
I am saving to buy a Janome serger; the 1100d has a blanket stitch and coverhem and i can't wait to get it.
I've played w/ the TB-30 @ my local shop. It is awesome. I want one badly. The guy at the shop told me that they're (Jannome) phasing them out in favor of a newer model that he dosen't think is as nice. He has them on sale till the one he has in the shop are gone. So it sounds like if you want one you need to get it soon.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#6 of 9 Old 03-13-2010, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

I took the plunge and bought one of the Janome 115110 refurbished machines from overstock. It's gotten good reviews on other sites as well, so keeping my fingers crossed that I love it without seeing or trying it in person. It is going to be a world of difference from what I've been using!
#7 of 9 Old 03-14-2010, 03:47 AM

Love my Bernina

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#8 of 9 Old 03-17-2010, 02:43 PM

I love my old Bernina's from the 70s- still going strong, but I would never purchase another new Bernina. IMHO, the quality isn't there anymore like the good old days when the machine were Swiss built.

These days, I love the Janome. I have the Memorycraft 2000 that is 12 years old and still going strong. I also have a serger that is about 10 years old. Janome makes great machines.
#9 of 9 Old 03-21-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
took the plunge and bought one of the Janome 115110 refurbished machines from overstock. It's gotten good reviews on other sites as well, so keeping my fingers crossed that I love it without seeing or trying it in person.
So....how do you like it? You must have gotten it by now....

Mama to 3 boys 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page