Dyeing sofa covers - removing colour...with bleach? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-16-2010, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have these horrid terracotta coloured sofa covers. They are horrid because our carpet is wine red - so they don't go! They are unused - so are the 'spare' set...but our current set has seen the last of its days. I am hoping to save money and not have to buy a new sofa - but just make sure that these sofa covers are a better colour than they currently are!

Dylon pre-dye - which is for removing colour seems to work okay. But it hasn't removed enough for me to feel that it is okay to then dye them - I am going for beige. As the carpet is already dark, I do not feel that dark sofa covers will work.

So - I was wondering if I could further use bleach for these covers (they are cotton) and how much I would need to use in the washing machine for them to do the job? They don't need to be white - just a bit lighter than they are! They are sorta a darker buttercream once the pre-dye has been used. I have never used bleach before so have no idea what I am doing! lol

Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated! - TIA

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#2 of 3 Old 03-16-2010, 11:42 AM

Hmmm...I have a bleach phobia and don't really use it much. I have never used it as a part of my 'creative process'.

My one concern for you in your situation is that the amount of bleach and the time needed for the cover to sit in the solution will be harmful to the actual fiber. The other concern is if the bleaching will be splotchy, causing uneven dyeing. Is it possible to by a yard of similar fabric and do a test?

If you do decide to go ahead with the bleaching, you will need to neutralize the bleach at the end of the process. Oxyclean would do this.

Sorry I couldn't be of much more help.

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#3 of 3 Old 03-16-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

I suppose I really should just continue to stay way from bleach lol

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page