Doll ~ wig making help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-20-2010, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am *trying* to crochet a Waldorf doll wig. I suck at crocheting, I am knitter. Is there a knitting pattern out there for wigs? Also, the yarn I have for the hair and the wig is the loopy yarn type. That makes it even harder for me work with. So, can I make the cap out of a different color yarn or will the cap show through? Any ideas or suggestions?

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
#2 of 9 Old 03-20-2010, 05:18 PM

The cap does show through but as long as the yarns match fairly well in color, they don't have to be the same type. I always use a straight mohair for the cap when I'm using the loop or boucle yarn for the long strands. Use ing the loop for the cap would make the cap too thick, if it was going to be completely covered with another yarn and there is also the added expense. I would use the boucle for a cap only if it were going to be left uncovered.

As for knitting a cap, I do believe this topic has been discussed here and maybe you can still find the old threads if you do a search. Sorry I'm not much help (as I'm not much of a knitter). You could also post your question in the yarn crafts forum. They are very helpful. Good luck with it.
#3 of 9 Old 03-22-2010, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Could I use just an acrylic yarn for the wig as long as it matched the color of the hair I am using? I can not find any wool or mohair in a color similar to what I am using... well, I can't find it locally. Looks like my only option is acrylic if I am going to get this done this week.. is there a down fall to acrylic?

#4 of 9 Old 03-22-2010, 11:21 PM

The term "Waldorf" doll inherently means all natural fibers based on Rudolph Steiner's spiritual philosophy "Anthroposophy". For a Waldorf purist it would be an issue, but if it doesn't bother you, I don't see any reason not to use acrylic if you want to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rudolf_Steiner
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthroposophy
#5 of 9 Old 03-23-2010, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you E.V. I ended up fighting with this stinken llama yarn (the only similar color yarn I could) find and have manged a decent start. I don't know how this cap is going to turn out but I figure it is going to be covered in hair so perfect isn't that important. Llama yarn is considered to be a natural fiber, right? I am wanting make a Waldorf doll and not a knock off.

#6 of 9 Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 AM

Yes llama is a wonderful natural fiber.

I wouldn't worry about the appearance of the cap as long as it doesn't have large open holes or bald spots.
#7 of 9 Old 12-14-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

I am resurrecting my old thread to say FINALLY DID IT!!  energy.gifSure it took me a few months (I did have a premature baby) but I finally got it.  I did teach my self to crochet but I still couldn't make the cap with the boucle yarn.  So I decided to try to make a cap with the knifty knitter.  Now I am not a fan of the knifty knitter (it bores me) but after 20 minutes I had a perfect cap!!  I only wish I would had done this sooner.  Just thought I would pass the info on!

#8 of 9 Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_mommy View Post

So I decided to try to make a cap with the knifty knitter.  Now I am not a fan of the knifty knitter (it bores me) but after 20 minutes I had a perfect cap!!  I only wish I would had done this sooner.  Just thought I would pass the info on!

Hmm, I  am not familiar with the knifty knitter.  but the cap is knit?  does that mean its stretchy?  I ask because someone on here recently asked if they could knit a cap rather than crochet and I advised against it based on what I've read about the difference between knitting and crochet.  crochet is sturdy and thick (think potholder) whereas knits are stretchy.  I would think you wouldn't want a stretchy cap, because the hair would pull it and stretch it..... Are you attaching hair to your cap?  Is it working out?

I agree crochet is annoying, so thats why I'm asking ;)  (although I don't know how to knit either.).  I fumbled through crochet with my first doll, and sewed a wig for the second (using chunky rasta yarn).

XOXO

B

mama to Milena Anjali (4/26/06) and Vincent Asher (4/13/09) ~ married to the love of my life since 2002.
#9 of 9 Old 12-31-2010, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BethSLP View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by chase_mommy View Post

So I decided to try to make a cap with the knifty knitter.  Now I am not a fan of the knifty knitter (it bores me) but after 20 minutes I had a perfect cap!!  I only wish I would had done this sooner.  Just thought I would pass the info on!

Hmm, I  am not familiar with the knifty knitter.  but the cap is knit?  does that mean its stretchy?  I ask because someone on here recently asked if they could knit a cap rather than crochet and I advised against it based on what I've read about the difference between knitting and crochet.  crochet is sturdy and thick (think potholder) whereas knits are stretchy.  I would think you wouldn't want a stretchy cap, because the hair would pull it and stretch it..... Are you attaching hair to your cap?  Is it working out?

I agree crochet is annoying, so thats why I'm asking ;)  (although I don't know how to knit either.).  I fumbled through crochet with my first doll, and sewed a wig for the second (using chunky rasta yarn).

XOXO

B

Knit can be stretchy as can crochet.  I found my knit hat isn't much stretchier than the crochet one I made for DS1 for Christmas.  I sewed the cap all around the hair line and then in a spiral all the way around to the crown.  It turned out perfect.  I haven't added long hair yet as DD wants a baby.  I did tug on the wig a good bit and it is all staying in place.  I am very happy with the results and not at all worried about the hair pulling out once its added.

Tags
Arts Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page