new to buying wool - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-24-2010, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anybody willing to share there secrets on finding the deals? Looking for all different kinds from felted wool to make little people as well as roving. I would like to know a decent price per weight??
#2 of 5 Old 03-24-2010, 07:59 PM

Well, I get a great deal on my wool b/c I'm dear friends with the momma who dyes & combs it. But a good price is probably anywhere from $4-$6 an ounce depending on what kind.

You're probably best looking for a small local shop with local fibers as opposed to online. When I was just getting started at felting, my local yarn shop carried "ends bags" from the woman I now get all my wool from. It was all the leftover bits & pieces from spinning and dying. A big bag of great variety of color & fibers ran me about $35.

For wool felt, your local Jo Anns might carry some wool blend felt that's not too expensive. Mine has some 70/30 and 80/20. 100% is a special order. I like to get mine from Wiers. Sometimes they have cheap scrap bags that give you a good selection of colors for little projects. Good luck!
#3 of 5 Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

I'm new to it too... so I look forward to seeing everyones replies. I have been getting mine from Handpaintedyarn.com but they are slow slow slow to ship
#4 of 5 Old 04-15-2010, 12:49 AM

The best price on wool batting is from West Earl Woolen Mill. Last time I checked it was $6.40/lb. the phone number is 1-717-859-2241 There is no website, that I know of. It's a small family run business, so please be nice!

I'm not sure if West Earl sells roving, since I don't use it, myself but you could ask. They are uber helpful on the phone.
#5 of 5 Old 04-15-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.V. Lowi View Post
The best price on wool batting is from West Earl Woolen Mill. Last time I checked it was $6.40/lb. the phone number is 1-717-859-2241 There is no website, that I know of. It's a small family run business, so please be nice!

I'm not sure if West Earl sells roving, since I don't use it, myself but you could ask. They are uber helpful on the phone.
They do! I believe last time I ordered it was $1.40/generous oz. Awesome stuff too. And shipping is actual ups rates.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page