Hemming knits? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-27-2010, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
How do you get a nice looking hem on a super stretchy knit? I am shortening a knit dress into a blouse, and my first attempt flares out funny because it got stretched going through the machine. I serged around and turned under for a narrow hem. I used the differential feed on my serger and the fabric didn't look stretched out after serging, just after the hemming part. I am pretty new working with knits, so maybe I'm missing something basic?

Mommy to DS1 July '09 and DS2 Oct '12 and someone new in May '15

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-28-2010, 02:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Couple of things you can do. Iron on a strip (about 1" wide should do) of tricot interfacing (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd14459) to the hem, fold up and stitch. The interfacing keeps the knit from stretching too much as it goes through the machine but allows the knit to stretch after it's been hemmed. This works for a hem that is 3/4" deep or deeper.

For a 1/4" hem, try seams great (http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...RODID=prd10299). Serge it on the wrong side of the knit. Then fold up and top stitch with the sewing machine. Seams great works for any size of hem.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#3 of 3 Old 03-29-2010, 02:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't tried it yet, but someone posted a tip about using a roller foot when sewing knits. DH bought me one and I can't wait to try it

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page