If I were going to make cloth nursing pads... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-06-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter
LZP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What fabric(s) should I use? I'd like to use scraps of material I already have.

should they be just a flat disk, or do I add a dart or something to make then more of a cup-like shape? I dont want cone boobs!
Also, I have a serger and a regular machine. should I serge, or T&T? I would think T&T would leave a funny "ring."

Fabrics I have on hand are:
baby flannel (100% cotton)
bamboo velour
suedecloth
1/8" thick bamboo/organic cotton batting
PUL
an old VERY thick cable knit sweater
t-shirts

TIA for any help/advice/BTDT!!

x-posted in Breastfeeding.

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#2 of 7 Old 04-06-2010, 01:48 PM

considering the fabric you have i would choose bamboo and i wouldnt do a cone shape and i would serge. i EBF and never use these btw...i guess only some women actually leak? i never do

Young born-again mama and loving wife peace.gif to DH jammin.gif and SAHP to two crazy girls dust.gifwehomebirth.jpgfly-by-nursing2.gifslinggirl.giffamilybed1.gif and believe gd.giflactivist.gif  signcirc1.gif !

#3 of 7 Old 04-06-2010, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter
LZP

Thanks anielasmommy - you're LUCKY! I'd like to be prepared, so I'm not leak-a-saurus when we have visitors or go out and about. I was thinking the velour would be really nice and soft too... I wonder how many layers?

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#4 of 7 Old 04-08-2010, 09:32 AM

I would use the velour and/or t-shirt material. I made mine when pregnant with my first ds and used hemp jersey and hemp fleece. I had to ask my sister to measure her nursing pads because I had no idea of the size and then I cut out circles and sews 4-6 layers together. I centered two smaller circles together with the bigger circles so that there was more absorbency in the center but they also tapered down to my skin level so they weren't so thick all the way to the edge and showed through clothes. I just sews around about 1/4 inch from the edge. I didn't serge or turn them or anything since they were knit material they don't ravel just as your t-shirt and velour material won't.

Urban homesteader married to my high school sweetheart, mama to V(4/07) and H(6/10)

knit.gifblogging.jpghomeschool.gif   chicken3.gif

#5 of 7 Old 04-09-2010, 03:52 PM

nak, but just wanted to post a neat nursing pad tutorial. I would have used this one to make my own pads if I had seen it when I needed it. I made pads tear-drop shaped with velour, hemp and birdseye in various combos.

http://www.pamperedcheeks.com/nursing_pads_pattern.php

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#6 of 7 Old 04-12-2010, 10:28 AM

I just shared how I made nursing pads in this post
http://www.mothering.com/discussions...191&highlight=
and there are some other ideas there too.
I liked my contoured ones better than the flat, they didn't look cone shaped at all. I might have made the pie shaped cut go only partway to the center to keep it from being too cone shaped. It was really a slight contour and very comfy.
I would suggest out of your fabrics:
flannel absorbancy layers (or maybe bamboo, I've never worked with it, but I hear its nice.)
inner staydry suedecloth layer
outer PUL
I just used the same concept as an all in one diaper.

Cherie: Ex-pat Mama in France to Chiara (Mar 08) and Adrian homebirth.jpg(Aug 2010) . cd.gifsewmachine.gif,winner.jpg
#7 of 7 Old 04-13-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnfairy76 View Post
I would suggest out of your fabrics:
flannel absorbancy layers (or maybe bamboo, I've never worked with it, but I hear its nice.)
inner staydry suedecloth layer
outer PUL
I just used the same concept as an all in one diaper.
nak, i did this too, loved them, was the perfect combo. i used birdseyes in the middle b/c i had it in hand, but the pads were great.

i made fairly lge circles and serged. the serging pulled it in a bit and gave a little contour.

Carson, living life with my 3 boys: DH, DS Dec '09 blahblah.gif  and newbie DS Sept'12baby.gif

always two in my heartbeat.gif 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page