upcycled steampunk for kids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-12-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any ideas for quick/easy steampunk clothing for children? I'm thinking of upcycling (so less sewing overall) but am having a massive creativity fail.

It would need to be sturdy, comfy, and washable. Maybe some sort of pinafore?

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2010, 02:21 PM

How about some sort of arm warmers / arm bands out of a stretchy material (maybe even gold or copper colored?)

If you make a pinafore, how about using a thick brown belt with a big copper buckle instead of a tie? You could make the actual pinafore out of either lace, or a fabric that you can drape and gather well, for the base part - you want a lot of excess fabric draped there.

Fun!
Old 04-12-2010, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Oooohhhh.... like the idea about the belt! I know how to make pinafores, but they felt more lolita than steamy and that's not what I'm looking for. We getting back into the steampunk and browncoat "lifestyle" but making nursing friendly stuff for me has kind of used up my creativity. DD1 made herself a bustle skirt she wears over jeans but my brain has up and wandered off.

I did score the perfect steampunk diaper bag at the thrift store today... this should be perfect with just a little tweaking. (I paid nowhere near the original price and it's barely used, I'm thinking of adding a few more toggles, rings, and snaps but even if not it's still pretty nice!)

Be pretty! Be practical! Be Pagan! Visit Pagan Hearth & Home!
 mama to lady.gif(4/05), hearts.gif(6/07vbac), diaper.gif(8/09vbac), and babygirl.gif (9/11vbac)

Old 04-13-2010, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Newsboy hats! With cogs on. Kids always look cute in them.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

Old 04-17-2010, 02:46 PM

Kids khaki/cargo pants or capris can be easy to find second hand, and could be painted, patched, and accessorized.
If you're looking for a softer look, adding some ruffled lace to the hems of capris can make cute pantaloons.
Add a brown tank top and stripey arm warmers made out of old knee-high socks, and they're good to go!

Canvas aprons can be fun, and practical too.

Sometimes army surplus stores sell patches that say things like "navigator" on them, or have small canvas bags that are a good size for kids to carry, as well.

Have you ever painted clothes with freezer paper stencils? It would be a great way to add gears, dirigibles, or even floral/vine designs.

The hard part with kids is finding good shoes, especially for warm weather.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!

User Tag List