need rec for tie dye kit/method for young kids - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-25-2010, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
Can anyone recommend a tie dye kit for young children (with help from parents, of course)? I think for my daughter's 4th birthday party we are going to make tie dye tshirts as the main activity. I'm looking for a kit or a method that would be best suited for 6 children between the ages of 2 and 7. I know there will be great potential for mess, but we will be outside, the kids will have gloves and aprons, and there will be lots of adults to help.

Also, what should I do in advance? I guess depending on the kit/type of dye I use, I want to have the shirts prepped before hand, like already tied and ready to start dying. I have never done this before, so I'll do a test run before the actual party to make sure my method works. TIA!

Jess, married to awesome hubby Tim, mom to DD1 (6-06), DD2 (2/08)
****5****10****15***20****25****30****35 ****40
#2 of 3 Old 04-25-2010, 10:58 PM

I've done tie-dye with little ones and big ones. It's fun!
I suggest a kit from Dharma Trading.

As for what do do in advance, I suggest mixing the dye and pre-soaking in the soda ash solution the shirts the night before. I know you were thinking of tieing the shirts the night before but it doesn't take much for the kids to do it themselves and they really love it. I usually let them tie them how the want, scrunched up or try to "guide" them with their ties.

Desert Dyeworks Hey, we like color and silk!
Check out our 10% multiple items discount!
#3 of 3 Old 04-29-2010, 04:17 AM

You could put the dye in swirt bottles to make it easier for them to dye it, less mess maybe too.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page