Anyone suffer from YIS? (yarn inadequacy syndrome) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 04-27-2010, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello fellow yarn crafters-

My name is Julie and I have yarn inadequacy syndrome. I have been knitting for over 25 years, but just started in earnest (beyond garter stitch scarves) about 3 years ago. I started with Red Heart acrylic. Then I ventured to some Lion's brand cotton and wool. I have bought organic cotton for babies stuff. But that is about as far as I'll go. I'll buy a skein or two here or there at my LYS, but never enough to do a project. For my projects (more than 2 skeins) I always go to Michael's or another craft store.

My knitting is getting really good. (IMO ) But I hate posting it or showing it because I don't use cascadia or handspun or knit picks, or whatever the expensive yarn is. I don't want to say, well, this is TLC's cotton, or something like that. I feel like I am not an actual "knitter" because I don't use the "good stuff." Does this make sense?

Does anyone else feel this way?

Julieknit.gif, DP to modifiedartist.gif, mama to DD (7)dust.gif , and DS (5)joy.gif

#2 of 22 Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM

I just received my first order of Cotlin (cotton/linen blend) from Knitpicks. I'm making something special for my Mom's birthday and I finally decided to order some nice yarn for her.

Most of what I knit with is some kind of acrylic blend from Michaels, Joann's or AC Moore. I just can't justify the cost of the fancier yarns. Especially when knitting for my rambunctious little ones.

I also find achievement in using up the hand-me-down yarn that other 'failed' knitters pass on to me. Why buy new yarn when I can whip up some little things with the yarn I already have for free? It's a tricky balance for me.

I am gradually moving towards more natural yarns and some of the less expensive brands are starting to market cotton, linen and bamboo...I've only used Red Heart once in the past couple of years and that was to make a "bag holder" for the plastic bags that collect in my pantry.

Pregnant and/or Breastfeeding since 2005
Mama to two girls: 5/06 and 3/09
#3 of 22 Old 04-27-2010, 04:24 PM

ME! It's really hard to spend more than $6 on a skein of yarn. And even that's a lot.

Mindful Spirit Expo is on April 21 and 22nd. Raise your consciousness!

Intuitive Encounters business merger means discounts for a limited time.

#4 of 22 Old 04-27-2010, 04:41 PM

I'm the same way. I can't imagine spending that much money on yarn, especially because I like to do shawls and afghans. It would get very expensive. I prefer Lion Brand yarn, and I only buy it on sale or with coupons.

joy.giflurk.gif

#5 of 22 Old 04-27-2010, 04:45 PM

My MIL is like that...I try...but fail....miserably. I am of the thought that if I am putting my time, parts of my life and all of my energy into something then it is worthy of the best I can afford (which isn't a lot).

I don't know.

But then I have seen some inexpensive yarns that were really really nice. I absolutely love the Sugar and Cream cotton yarns. Also Lion brand makes the Wool Ease which I think is nice too. I picked up some of the Vanna's Choice acrylic to make a hat for one of my children and I loved how it worked out for me....

But then I go to the local yarn store and my heart just goes giddy for that alpaca hand-spun, or that to die for Merino that is so ultra soft and hand painted ...and yeah ok....out comes the check book. Every time.

It's my DH who is like "What! Don't you have enough?!" I have to always remind him to mind his own business and to go count his guns/bullets or whatever he's into a the moment.

Crazy mom of 9. grouphug.gif  A wife to one.  flowersforyou.gif

-Life is a long lesson in humility.-

James M. Barrie

#6 of 22 Old 04-27-2010, 04:51 PM

I can't afford to buy lots of luxury yarns either, but I've been having fun exploring different brands and seeing what I like. My main criteria these days is that it be a majority of natural fibers.

I decided to see what the fuss was about regarding some yarns, and splurged on some Noro - I'm decidedly unimpressed...

My absolute favourite yarn right now is Elann Bamboo Fusion, and it's really not much more expensive than Bernat cotton: It's incredibly soft and squishy! http://www.elann.com/Commerce.web/pr...tID=&id=124278

Yarn has to feel good running through my fingers - acrylic sort of makes me itch.

ETA: My favourite project is this hat, and it only cost about $3 in yarn (single ply soft wool from Elann): http://www.ravelry.com/projects/Drea...-a-boyfriend-2

http://www.elann.com/Commerce.web/pr...tID=&id=123683

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

#7 of 22 Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have a serious texture aversion to acrylics, so I buy cheap wool. I can't imagine paying over $6 for 100g right now, knitpicks does have some in that range but I'd have to get $50 worth to avoid shipping. Right now I'm trying hard not to buy anything at all...though DH has $60 sitting in his wallet I'm about ready to swipe and run down to hobby lobby if he's not careful. Maybe if any of my or the kids' clothes cost over $4 an item I could justify the yarn by the FO. I mean $35 worth of yarn for a sweater is fine if you spend that much or more on sweaters anyway right?
#8 of 22 Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Julie, I think you'd be doing the world and all the beginning knitters in it a favor if you posted pics of your finished stuff and id'd the yarn.

One of the things that I struggled with as a beginner is the feeling that, in order to get good results, I had to replicate the pattern designer's details *exactly*. Seriously, my first sweater, I would have used the pattern designer's dye lot if I could have. There's this worry that if you don't use pricey yarn, you won't get good results, and it really absolutely is not true. Ravelry has done a lot in terms of letting people show off their yarn substitutions, but even most of the substituting I see involves kinda pricey stuff. I'm always psyched to see projects done in Red Heart or Caron.

Finally, good handwork is good handwork no matter what fiber it's done in. You totally deserve to show yours off.
#9 of 22 Old 04-28-2010, 09:06 AM

I have to say, I also really like some of the yarns available at Hobby Lobby. I really enjoy Lion Brand. I hate with a passion the Red Heart brand though. To me that stuff is acrylic at it's worst. But Lion Brand does now carry several naturals. I was even eyeballing some bamboo/silk combo from another brand at Hobby lobby that I think I'm going to use for my first shirt I'm making.

Actually if anyone can lead me to an online LYS that takes paypal I would appreciate it. I don't want to use cash right now for yarn, but I'd be willing to try some more expensive yarn if I could find somewhere that takes paypal!!!

#10 of 22 Old 04-28-2010, 01:41 PM

I'll start by pointing out that Knitpicks is most definitely not an expensive yarn. They're actually pretty cheap.

That being said, most of my stash is made up of craft store finds also. And most of those I bought on sale. I have a few skeins of LYS expensive stuff that I splurged on, and several skeins of pricier stuff I bought on clearance (webs is great for this). A good chunk of my wool is Lion or Patons, both of which I get at Michaels.

I have a drawer full of Lion brand Homespun in my stash, and another full drawer of various acrylics.

I refuse to apologize for using what I can afford. I couldn't afford woolies for my little guy if I was paying $15/skein when a pair of pants takes over 100g. But at $4 or $5/100g, that I can manage.

In fact, I think the only thing I've made with "expensive" yarn was a shawl for great-grandma I made out of fingering weight alpaca. And even that was only $8/skein for 2 skeins. Far less than I would normally spend on a present for her.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#11 of 22 Old 04-30-2010, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntuitiveJamie View Post

Actually if anyone can lead me to an online LYS that takes paypal I would appreciate it. I don't want to use cash right now for yarn, but I'd be willing to try some more expensive yarn if I could find somewhere that takes paypal!!!
This is my LYS- (not mine- I don't own it- but the one closest to me- I just used my paypal up on her too!)

http://stores.ebay.com/Ewe-Phoria-Yarns?_rdc=1

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#12 of 22 Old 04-30-2010, 07:08 PM

I was just thinking this while browsing Ravelry last night! I try to remind myself that I am putting lots of love into what I knit, if not lots of money. Not only are expensive yarns not in the budget, but I have received Lion Brand and Red Heart yarn as gifts from my family, and I want to be able to make things from what they've given me. (Though I must admit, that Red Heart feels awfully scratchy...)

I've been keeping an eye on my local Craigslist, hoping to find a good deal on some nice yarn, but no luck yet.
#13 of 22 Old 05-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I use red heart and it seems fine, but then again I probably dont know any better. I've also used the Vanna White yarn and that stuff is wonderful but $$ IMO so I need to collect coupons or wait for a sale. I dont care for the texture of Caron brand. Patons was great when I found a bunch on sale.

Mainly I crochet to keep my mind foucsed so right now cheap yarn is fine. I do have to say Hobby Lobby is my down fall though.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#14 of 22 Old 05-06-2010, 05:46 PM

I'm too poor to spend alot on the really good stuff BUT I find it's almost betterto use the cheap stuff since the majority of people I knit for DO love my knitting BUT they don't understand how to care for it ie-throw it into the washing machine ect.

I do buy from the wool shop during sales but mostly buy from Michaels sales...I love the vanna white line and can get it 2 for 6 on sale...2 balls is enough for a baby sweater thats more then likely going to get destroyed between spit up and washing

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#15 of 22 Old 05-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Banned

I have a hard time spending a lot money, but I also have decided that Im done with acrylic. IMO it just doesn't compare to wool in feel. And also, after spending about 50 hours making an afgan for my dd, I heard acrylic is made from petroleum.

My most recent yarn splurge was from here:
http://www.juliasyarn.com/yarn.html

and I am very happy with the yarn
#16 of 22 Old 05-13-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntuitiveJamie View Post
If you are on Ravelry, look around at what people have listed on their Sale/Trade pages. Or if there is a nice yarn you'd like to try, look for it on those pages. Most people prefer to use pp, and you'd get it similarly priced or cheaper than a LYS. That is how I got my first nice yarn - that, and co-ops, for Peace Fleece, 100purewool, and Three Irish Girls.

Sharon FF/Medic DH 3 DD's 2/98, 4/01, 11/05
~*The days are long, but the years are short.*~
#17 of 22 Old 05-14-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerstar View Post
If you are on Ravelry, look around at what people have listed on their Sale/Trade pages. Or if there is a nice yarn you'd like to try, look for it on those pages. Most people prefer to use pp, and you'd get it similarly priced or cheaper than a LYS. That is how I got my first nice yarn - that, and co-ops, for Peace Fleece, 100purewool, and Three Irish Girls.
I am in my first swap on Ravalry right now!!
I've done a couple here (not yarn, but other swaps) and really enjoyed them.
I thought this might be a good way to get more involved in Ralvary. Crocheting is quickly becoming my new obsession. I sucked at it for awhile, but am paying attn to what Im actually doing now and am getting much better. I also love that I can take it anywhere, unlike my sewing machine. So I've been visiting Ralvary a lot more.

Also I just ordered a bunch of yarn from here: http://www.littleknits.com/
They take paypal and I'm really excited to get my new yarn!

Off to look on Ralvary's sale/trade stuff..haven't checked that part out yet. THanks!

#18 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 01:04 AM

i can't afford to knit with fancy yarn. i use lots of tlc cotton and lion wool. i don't apologize for it at all.
#19 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 AM

I have been known to buy yarn 1 skein at a time from Michaels so I can buy it all with a coupon
#20 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 02:34 AM

I am allergic to wool, so that takes care of a lot of the nicer yarns right there

I generally use Simply Soft for my blankets. It is pretty cheap. I get my yarn at AC Moore.

I own a few skeins of fancy yarn, but the name escapes me now. A friend bought it for me and told me to use it for my own baby's blanket, but so far, no baby, and no prospect for a baby So it is hidden away at the moment.

ribbonpurple.gif  "And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more than the risk it took to blossom." Anais Nin

#21 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 12:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
The price of yarn was a real eye-opener for me when I started knitting. One of my first projects was a baby blanket. I went to an LYS, and the employee helped me pick out some yarn. I didn't even think to check the price. When she rang up an $88.00 price tag, I sheepishly apologized and walked out of the store yarnless.

If I get a lot of use out of something or I'm making a super special gift, I can justify the price. But I'm getting a shocking bite of reality--knitting is NOT a frugal hobby!

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#22 of 22 Old 05-16-2010, 12:34 PM

Most of my knitting and crocheting is for charity projects. So, I'm in the enviable position of not feeling bad for buying cheap yarn.

I do a lot of NICU and baby loss items, so Caron Simply Soft is the yarn of choice.

I will splurge on the good stuff for some items. I also do a lot of swapping for the good stuff . Then there is a good deal now and then at Smiley's.

I

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page