Lets start thinking DECEMBER!!!! Make the season HOMEMADE!!! - Page 11 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#301 of 603 Old 09-16-2010, 11:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am making homemade 'poppers' for my BIL today. Super delicious and super easy and cheap. He will love them since he is a jalepinio (sp?) nut too! I am starting with 10 lbs! of peppers- not all of them are for him though.... Most are for me!

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#302 of 603 Old 09-16-2010, 11:51 AM

Still haven't started anything and it turns out the beer won't be ready in time for the holidays! I am so bummed! Now I have to revamp the list
#303 of 603 Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
Still haven't started anything and it turns out the beer won't be ready in time for the holidays! I am so bummed! Now I have to revamp the list
That sucks!

I haven't done much of anything honestly. This week I had great plans to do all this crafting but I've seemingly been BUSIER since ds started school...not to mention more tired more stressed more irritable ECT ECT LOL

I did get a pack of crayola fabric crayons that I'm thinking of getting the kids to make gift bags w them. Draw a picture on paper then iron them onto gift bag totes. I think it'll be super cute

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#304 of 603 Old 09-16-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

I've ben on Martha..OH DEAR LOL

http://www.marthastewart.com/article...ffers#slide_21
I'm a reallybig fan of these fish in a bag soaps but wonder how the bag wouldnt melt or if the soap would stick to the bag and I would need to rip the bag off the soap?

http://www.marthastewart.com/photoga...-gifts#slide_9
Not sure this is goig to be a Christmas present but I thought it would be a super cute thing for ds's room

I'm thinking of making one of these for both children
http://www.marthastewart.com/photoga...-kids#slide_21

I'm thinking of getting this book to make these dolls for all the little ones on my list. They look fairly simple and really cute.
http://www.marthastewart.com/photoga...-kids#slide_11

Might make these for ds's class
http://www.marthastewart.com/photoga...al-breadcrumbs

#305 of 603 Old 09-19-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
I've ben on Martha..OH DEAR LOL

http://www.marthastewart.com/article...ffers#slide_21
I'm a reallybig fan of these fish in a bag soaps but wonder how the bag wouldnt melt or if the soap would stick to the bag and I would need to rip the bag off the soap?

http://www.marthastewart.com/photoga...-gifts#slide_9
Not sure this is goig to be a Christmas present but I thought it would be a super cute thing for ds's room

I'm thinking of making one of these for both children
http://www.marthastewart.com/photoga...-kids#slide_21

I'm thinking of getting this book to make these dolls for all the little ones on my list. They look fairly simple and really cute.
http://www.marthastewart.com/photoga...-kids#slide_11

Might make these for ds's class
http://www.marthastewart.com/photoga...al-breadcrumbs
Cute ideas!

I made the fish soaps a few years ago as party favors.I didn't have any trouble with melting bags and the bags peel right off the soap no problem.The hardest part is getting the fish to stay upright especially because if it's not upright it looks like a dead fish in a bag.

#306 of 603 Old 09-19-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post
Has anyone seen this?

http://plainandjoyfulliving.blogspot...made%20holiday

It's a link to Handmade Holiday 2010.

Enjoy!
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beansricerevolt View Post
Uhg!Can you be way ahead for next year?We have a friend who makes beer and I know some of them sit for a really long time(or at least they're better if they sit for a really long time).

Today,I WILL make something...and if not today,tomorrow.

#307 of 603 Old 09-19-2010, 05:58 PM

Wooo Hooo!Made another bucket!Still haven't fixed the original one but we don't need to talk about that.Who knows maybe tonight will be the night that I rip it apart for the THIRD time so I can fix it.

#308 of 603 Old 09-19-2010, 06:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
holy crapoli! This thread was started in MAY????? You mamas are crazy!!
In my little world people are like, "whoa, you started your Halloween costume already?"

I knew this thread had to be around, I just didn't know for how long! I seriously doubt we had all of out xmas stuff packed up in may

Anywho, I'm definitely not doing all handmade but I have some ideas. I have a new sewing machine with the embroidery attachment so I plan on making lots of embroidered dish towels, pillow cases, and bath robes (well, probably only one robe.)

I also fixed up an old wood lathe so I wanted to do some projects with that but I'm thinking there won't be time. I'm taking 25 units and it's probably only getting busier from here out.... sigh, maybe next year.

Subbing for more ideas!
#309 of 603 Old 09-19-2010, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolip View Post
holy crapoli! This thread was started in MAY????? You mamas are crazy!!
In my little world people are like, "whoa, you started your Halloween costume already?"
And I keep thinking I should start in January.

#310 of 603 Old 09-20-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
And I keep thinking I should start in January.
No kidding!! But, hey, you can get lots of good deals on holiday notions like fabric and yarn for cheap!

I have been busy making items for my dc's school auction and for a birthday present. So, no holiday gift making here!

I am also thinking of doing a craft fair in December. Maybe. We'll see.

Good to hear what you all are up to!
#311 of 603 Old 09-23-2010, 09:19 PM

Kali (pka Michelle) ~ crunchy wife to Cory (09/06) ~ Mama to H (03/90) & I (06/92)--bothnocirc.gifbf.jpg BF for 35 consecutive months ~ angel1.gif x 4

#312 of 603 Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 AM

I think I am going to make DD a doll house. I spoke with my mom who ahd one made for us when we were small and she never finished it- never slowed us down though- we had fun even in a plywood house. But she is going to give it to me to do for DD. I seriously hope she loves it as much as we did. Then my mom is going to try to make her a bunch of furniture to go in for Christmas and her birthday!

I did make DS2 a new minkee blanket for Christmas.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#313 of 603 Old 09-24-2010, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

I've been SLACKING!! Well slacking on holiday stuff. I've been making my 17 year old cousin and his friend Fred and Barney Halloween costumes...wouldn'thave been such a big job except his friend is a REALLY big boy! It's taken some major planning.

And tonight I start a 10 day work stretch <sigh> I need to buy some brown wool TODAY so I can start the Reindeer hats for dc while traveling for work and on lunch ect

#314 of 603 Old 09-25-2010, 11:33 PM

3 months till Christmas!

Time to get serious!
#315 of 603 Old 09-26-2010, 12:15 AM

I just came up with an idea for a mobius cowl in chenille - really quick with a single skein of thick and quick chenille ($1.50 on sale over the summer!!!) I think everyone at work might be getting a new cowl...my SIL who lives in NYC might too.

Victim of Birth Rape & Coerced ribboncesarean.gifUnnecesareanribboncesarean.gif What makes people think they can cut up someone else's genitals? nocirc.gif
#316 of 603 Old 09-26-2010, 02:08 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
3 months till Christmas!

Time to get serious!
I just looked at the calendar and needed my anti anxiety meds... (almost)... How on earth did it get to be this late in the year??

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#317 of 603 Old 09-26-2010, 02:58 AM

I'm not feeling that great today (darn baby number 3 is really not my favorite right now.. kidding, kidding) but I thought Id put a list up so I can start thinking.. between now and Christmas I have 6 birthdays(DHs, Mine, DD2, FIL, SIL Niece), 2 anniversary(mine and my in-laws), Halloween, Marine Corp Ball, Thanksgiving and of course Christmas. I have another birthday right after Christmas (Brothers), DD1's birthday is in January and Im due in Feb.. Ok, Im tired now! Luckily Halloween I decided to reuse last years costumes so no work there, Thanksgiving we go to a church sponsored dinner so all I have to provide is a side dish (whole lot better than the whole meal!).. that leaves the rest to plan/make/decide on etc. DH is of course being a pain (love him but honestly long distances and marriages are HARD and he travels ALOT) so what I was originally planning wont work.
Heres the list so I can get organized
Originally I wasn't planning on making birthday gifts for extended family but FIL asked me for something for his birthday (well, implied he would like) and since my husband family lives really close together Id feel bad if I did something for him and not the others. So birthdays:
DD2- dress with apron over (the pattern Im making it from the apron is more show than useful but she will be excited over it), polka dot birthday cake with something to do with a monkey.. We are debating having me make her a doll. This changed from our original plans since DH and I agreed what we originally planned isn't something we really wanted to do.
DH- hes been asking for a good toiletry bag. Since he never tells me what he wants that so thats all hes going to get.
FIL- Hes been saying he wants an apron for BBQing but can't find one that isn't girly. "Now if only I knew someone who sewed" haha I love that man, hes so funny.
SIL- No idea, any ideas for someone whos favorite things are drinking and partying? I don't drink so Im clueless what to do. I thought about working on my knitting and knitting her a scarf because shes always cold.
Niece- again, no idea. Maybe Ill do a "art" bag. Shes only 8 but she is totally not a kid that I know what to do with (she has NO age appropriate interests... she does like art though so maybe Ill do something with that)
Brother- again no idea
DD1- she wants a new baby doll but I already got her something big for her birthday so I don't know if Im going to do it. DH thinks I should because Im due the next week and then she has something special made by mommy when the new baby comes. A new dress as well, she wants a Minnie Mouse dress, Im thinking of getting red polka dot material and making a "minnie inspired" dress since theres no way Im paying 50-75 on a costume!!
Anniversary
-DH and mine Im thinking of making curtains. Should probably explain this one, we have been married for almost 5 years and have NEVER owned curtains. I tacked up sheets when we needed a window covering. DH has said many times he wants curtains so we can be a "normal family" but since we move so much Ive never made it a priority. I know its probably silly but it would mean alot to him to come home to curtains hanging in the windows.
In-laws- we are talking with the rest of the kids (my DH has 4 siblings) about doing a weekend retreat for them. If we do Ill probably be asked to make slippers and other small things for it.
Christmas-originally I had planned on just doing cards with pictures for family but DH wants to do something more than that.
DD1- Still talking about her, for her stocking I know I'm making: A crayon wallet, a roll up chalk board and an apron. Shes saw me looking at a little felt Scotty dog and asked if I could make her one so I might make that to put on top. A dress and PJs as well.

DD2 Still talking about her, for her stocking I know I'm making: A crayon wallet, a roll up chalk board and an apron. She is monkey obsessed so I might make a little stuffed monkey for on top. A dress and PJs as well.

Baby- DD1 made me promise I won't forget the baby during the holidays. So, I have to figure out something for him/her as well. Ideas: little shoes (I found a cute pattern), blanket, finish of the homecoming outfit (DH picked a onesie for each gender but its going to need pants/skirt, booties, hat and blanket), a small toy.. or something else. No idea.
DH- scripture tote (Ill get him a new set of scriptures to go in it since the girls got a hold of his scriptures and ate part of them)

MIL- Journal, scripture bag (I need to see if I can get the fabric anymore that I was going to, I found some on sale but I haven't been back to look).
FIL- Journal, scripture bag
SIL1- Journal, scripture bag
SIL2- Again, no clue. Im totally clueless what I can make for her. Only thing shes asked for I found out we can't ship out we can only take in luggage and we aren't making the trip over there. (she wants a bottle of Japanese Sake).
SIL3- Journal and maybe a throw, she gets cold easy and lives in a cold place.
BIL- I found a tutorial for a tie snake and BIL loves snakes. I know he would love it, specially if my girls help make it.
Niece- again no idea, a purse maybe or a scarf. She lives with her Dad but will be spending Christmas with her mom this year.
SIL2s baby- Not due until Feb but when I was pregnant with DD1 she made a point of sending a Christmas present for her.. so, Im thinking of doing some balls or other soft toy. I found a tutorial on making a ribbon animal and I have some minky I haven't used.. I just don't know what to do if its a boy since the minky is purple.
Dad- framed picture
Brother- no idea
Grandma B- journal, scarf maybe
Grandma M- Journal, scarf maybe
Grandma J- Shes a double amputee and is always complaining about how cold she is but the blankets don't work well so I'm thinking of making her a special blanket that wouldn't get caught in her wheelchair.
Grandpa B- Journal, scarf maybe
Grandpa F- No clue, he lives in a nursing home and has dementia. Last time we sent him a picture he had to be sedated because in his mind I was still 9, he couldn't understand why my mom was with another man and having babies with him. I might not send him anything because his doctors worry about a shock like that causing a heart attack/stroke/other serious problem.

We also host a party for single Marines every year and Im sure we will do it again this year. If we do Ill probably make cookie trays for them to take back to the barracks with them.
The Marine Corps Ball is in November so I have to make a dress for that. For some reason I can't find a maternity dress appropriate and modest enough to work. I already ordered the pattern, just have to make the dress.
I also have a laundry list of things that need to be done for the baby and we might be moving before December, we don't know yet.
I just remembered I also need to make something for my DDC craft swap and my SIL is having her baby shower in December.. I won't make it but I want to try to send her something.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#318 of 603 Old 09-26-2010, 03:15 AM

Rere- I was just looking through your photos and WOW your projects are great. You are giving me some good ideas that Im sure my DH isn't going to appreciate.. My girls will though

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#319 of 603 Old 09-26-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post
Rere- I was just looking through your photos and WOW your projects are great. You are giving me some good ideas that Im sure my DH isn't going to appreciate.. My girls will though
Thanks!

Wow,you have a lot on your plate.I love the curtain idea for your husband.I think that's really sweet.And for the grandma in the wheelchair,what about a blanket like the ones they make for strollers?Also,I think a cute bag is a good idea for the niece.I think it's thoughtful and good for all ages.So even if she's not into age appropriate stuff,a bag will still be appropriate.What about some etched sake glasses for the SIL?or some sort of drink coasters?

#320 of 603 Old 09-26-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
3 months till Christmas!

Time to get serious!

Time to get serious! 1st step, redo my list!
#321 of 603 Old 09-26-2010, 11:38 AM

Just looked at my list and boy did I mess up! See, thats the problem with starting early. I can't wait! Made DD her sketchbook tote and she has it now. I canned a bunch of my special pico de gayo recipe and have already eaten half and given away the other
#322 of 603 Old 09-26-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

Wow,you have a lot on your plate.I love the curtain idea for your husband.I think that's really sweet.And for the grandma in the wheelchair,what about a blanket like the ones they make for strollers?Also,I think a cute bag is a good idea for the niece.I think it's thoughtful and good for all ages.So even if she's not into age appropriate stuff,a bag will still be appropriate.What about some etched sake glasses for the SIL?or some sort of drink coasters?
Thanks for the ideas! November and December are always really busy times for us, thats why I originally decided not to do Christmas presents for family this year. However, MIL and GMIL asked DH if I had started the Christmas sewing yet becuase they always love what I make them and he told them yes I had so if I don't do it now.. yea, that wouldn't be good. My in-laws would totally understand (My MIL had 5 children in 6 years so she knows what its like running around after children and being pregnant) but Id feel bad.

SIL Im stumped, Im not that crafty outside of sewing, a little bit of knitting and cooking. Since we live in a different country than our families I don't feel comfortable sending food (Ive had people send me food, it doens't necessarily always make it). Shes very picky/anal about her belongings so I don't know what to do. I thought about doing like a bag to carry wine in since she goes to people's houses for dinner and likes to bring wine. Id just have to get measurements for a wine bottle. I don't even know what they are Seriously, Ive never drank alcohol (I come from a family of alcoholics so it never held interest, also its against my religion) so Im sitting here tapping my fingers. I really want to do something nice for her though because sometimes I feel like she doesn't feel like part of the family since her lifestyle is so different and I want her to know we love her no matter her life style.

#323 of 603 Old 09-26-2010, 08:05 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
OkiMom- for your Sil , the 'party gal' can you make her a small purse? When I used to go out I hated taking my big huge purse...
I think this book had some cute 'clutches' in it
http://www.amazon.com/One-Skein-Quic...ef=cm_cmu_pg_t

This book had a cute doll

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Weekend-C...5542546&sr=1-1

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#324 of 603 Old 09-27-2010, 04:23 PM

Joining in a little late too, and I have a decent sized list.

Dh: no ideas yet, but I know I'll find something
Cy: knit eyeball juggling balls, wooden mailbox to share with Jax, face plate
Jax: above mailbox, face plate, and ???

Mom, Grandma, Grandma, & MIL: fingerless mitts, and tea towels maybe
FIL: knit hat

Mom: Felt glasses case
Oldest brother and SIL: ???
Middle brother: Incognito maybe?
Other middle brother: Mandrake if I have enough time
Youngest Brother and new SIL: Bella mitts for her and ? for him

Nephew 2yr old: Face Plate, mailbox
Nephew 15yr old: no ideas
Niece 8 yr old: no idea

Grandpa: dirty knit deer hat
Men's exchange: dirty knit deer hat
Womens exchange: knit scarf

I think thats it, I'll take another look later when J isn't trying to climb me.

*ETA: red ones are finished :eyeroll:
#325 of 603 Old 09-27-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusmama View Post
Joining in a little late too, and I have a decent sized list.

Dh: no ideas yet, but I know I'll find something
Cy: knit eyeball juggling balls, wooden mailbox to share with Jax, face plate
Jax: above mailbox, face plate, and ???

Mom, Grandma, Grandma, & MIL: fingerless mitts, and tea towels maybe
FIL: knit hat

Mom: Felt glasses case
Oldest brother and SIL: ???
Middle brother: Incognito maybe?
Other middle brother: Mandrake if I have enough time
Youngest Brother and new SIL: Bella mitts for her and ? for him

Nephew 2yr old: Face Plate, mailbox
Nephew 15yr old: no ideas
Niece 8 yr old: no idea

I think thats it, I'll take another look later when J isn't trying to climb me.
I MUST make those face plates!!!!!If I hadn't already started on favors for my daughter's birthday party I would consider giving those out.

#326 of 603 Old 09-28-2010, 05:18 AM

I love the faceplate as well!
I also like this she had on her site: http://christyrobbins.blogspot.com/s...abel/Christmas. We live a long distance from family and my oldest has started to ask for her own photo album of everyone. Maybe this would be a good stocking stuffer for her. I have a laminator so I could laminate the sheets so none of them rip. Also, I could add in a few pictures of Daddy so she stops asking to get on the computer when my DH is away training to look at pictures of him.
I found a cute tutorial on how to make an advent calendar, I think my DH would appreciate it. Hes been wanting to get one for a while but we haven't found one kid friendly enough that is also reusable. I don't want to re-buy one every year. Ill have to show him the picture of it when he gets home and see what he thinks. He comes home tomorrow!! The girls made him cards today, they are excited Daddy is coming back.

Oh inspiration just struck with my SIL. Her and her daughter (the niece I was talking about) travel ALOT back and forth to see each other and they are both kind of OCD about germs. My SIL mentioned how cold/uncomfortable flying is because they are cold and won't use the pillows/blankets provided because of the germ risk and I don't blame them, I won't use them either.. Soo, I was thinking doing a travel pillow/blanket set for both for Christmas then for birthdays a travel doodling set for the niece (she loves to draw so I figured a place to put color pencils and a doodle pad would be nice and then she wouldn't have to worry about something getting messed up) and for my SIL a wine cozy or I can get her an apron from out in town since she loves to cook. She mentioned to me once how she wished she could cook without getting her clothes messed up. The aprons are inexpensive over here (900 yen so around 10.50) and nicer than what I would be able to make on my budget (I love them, they last well too.. I have several).

#327 of 603 Old 09-28-2010, 08:16 PM

Some great tutorials I have to share! These could make some lovely gifts ya'll!

Princess and the Pea set
http://sewingin-nomansland.blogspot....-tutorial.html

Lunch Money Cuff
http://www.oneshetwoshe.com/2010/09/...-christie.html

Firewood tote
http://whipup.net/2010/09/19/2010-gu...firewood-tote/
#328 of 603 Old 10-01-2010, 02:42 PM

I started making favors for my daughter's birthday party but I thought they would be cute stocking stuffers so I thought I'd share the tut that I used.

#329 of 603 Old 10-01-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
I started making favors for my daughter's birthday party but I thought they would be cute stocking stuffers so I thought I'd share the tut that I used.
adorable!!
#330 of 603 Old 10-02-2010, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Sooo cute!

I am almost done with my holiday gift making. I need to make an ornament for my brother and SIL. I am going to make something from this book I just got -- http://www.amazon.com/Fa-Felt-Handma...5990233&sr=8-1 I love working with wool felt and this book has some super cute ideas.

I'm glad I'm almost done with gift making, because I decided to do a craft fair in December and that is keeping me super busy crafting. Am loving it, though!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page