Lets start thinking DECEMBER!!!! Make the season HOMEMADE!!! - Page 13 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#361 of 603 Old 10-10-2010, 01:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Coffee wearing off...allergy attack starting...becoming less optimistic...

#362 of 603 Old 10-10-2010, 06:45 PM

I was feeling quite optimistic yesterday as well but I ended up exhausted by 11am and taking a 4 1/2 hour nap. I didn't get anything done. Wait! I made the seams for the pockets for my daughter's apron.. then figured out why my machine was messed up. I need to go get different thread and this time Im ignoring the person at the store. She told DH I grabbed the wrong thread got him another type, I knew something was off (the feel and look was all wrong) but I can't read Japanese.. Turned it over last night realized the other side was in english and it was polyester thread. My machine always jams and the bobbins gets messed up easily using polyester thread. Ughs.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#363 of 603 Old 10-11-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
Ok,today I'm going to try to make some bean bags for my nephew,finish one more icecream cone party favor and fix and finish that original fabric bucket that is trying to end my crafting career.That might be too much considering my house is a total wreck.It's early and I just finished a giant cup of coffee though so I'm feeling optimistic.
Quote:
Coffee wearing off...allergy attack starting...becoming less optimistic...
I made 2 bean bags.Oh well at least my house is in better shape.

#364 of 603 Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post
I was feeling quite optimistic yesterday as well but I ended up exhausted by 11am and taking a 4 1/2 hour nap.
Sounds like your body needed a nap.Glad you listened to it.

#365 of 603 Old 10-11-2010, 11:01 AM

gonna jump into the thread (better late than never, right?)

I am going to be making banana bread and blueberry jam for aunts/teachers/bus driver this year.

The problem: I have never made jam or canned anything ever.

I have been googling blueberry jam and am trying to locate the easiest, no fail recipe. if anyone has any suggestions, let me know!!

It's the canning part that kind of freaks me out. I don't have any canning equipment. how important is that stuff? Or can I use a huge pot?
#366 of 603 Old 10-11-2010, 11:52 AM

I think I finally have my kids figured out. DD is getting a doll house. My mom has the frame assembled- so I just need to get it the next time I see her and then of course decorate the thing cause it is just plywood now. I think this will be a fun project though. Can't I decopoge (sp?) like scrapbook paper for wallpaper? Then for the boys I am going to make them a wooden barn for the little one and a wooden machine shed for the bigger one. I have some plywood cupboard doors that I think will make probably one of them. I want them big enough that they can drive in a tractor and wagon though.... I need to make a pattern I guess. My DH just shakes his head at me......

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#367 of 603 Old 10-11-2010, 11:56 AM

Is anybody here making stuff for Holiday Helper?

I was just thinking of all the stuff I was going to make. And every year I do HH. And then I thought why not just tack an extra one onto a bunch of projects?
I used to sell dolls and felt food and I sent those I had already made to some families last year along with other stuff.

That way you only have to do the prep work once, yk?

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#368 of 603 Old 10-11-2010, 12:58 PM

Hi, I'd like to join this thread! Thanks for all the wonderful ideas I found here

Here's my list:

Ds1:
Nature Bag: drawstring bag filled with felt pencil roll, sketchbook, and wildlife guide.

Ds2:
Nature Bag: same as above

Cousins (4):
Nature Bags

Sister 1: Felted soap and knitted hand towel

Sister 2:
Knitted hat and felted soap

Mom and MIL:
Felted soap and knitted hand towels

Dad:
Knitted hat

FIL:
Oven Mitt w/ chili salt
#369 of 603 Old 10-11-2010, 04:04 PM

Made some bean bags for my nephew and found a cute bucket to put them in!

#370 of 603 Old 10-11-2010, 07:12 PM

rere- I rarely crash like that so I figured I needed it. I wonder if the baby is going through a growth spurt because even my husband mentioned I look bigger (not in a bad way but in a "wow theres a baby there" way, hes one that it has to be staring him in the face for it to really hit him) this week than last and now my prematernity clothes definetly don't fit. Before I could still wear them.
by the way, those bean bags are soo cute! A lot cuter than what Im planning on doing for DD2s bean bags.

DH has volunteered to watch the girls, go grochery shopping and clean the house today so I can knock out some sewing. I need to finish all DD2's birthday presents today (got the purse, hair pins, dress/apron and blanket to do). We changed the playset I was going to make to a blanket instead becauuse DD2 asked me for one. I got the minky to back it (had her pick it out) yesterday so all I have to do is wait for it to dry then I can sew it. The apron for the dress is 1/2 done, the dress is cut out. Im redesigning the bag becauuse i couldn't find the right snap for it so Im making something slightly different. If I get all that done Im goign to do DD1's blanket for her birthday and the baby blanket that is going into the baby's stocking (Im still trying to figure out how DD1 convinced me to do a stocking for a baby not even born!). If I get all that done Im doing the aprons for the girls and the one for FIL. I found some camo mickey mouse fabric that I know he will love.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#371 of 603 Old 10-11-2010, 07:16 PM

mouso- there are a bunch of mamas in need of different things crafted on the holiday helpers forum! There is a master list of needs you could sort through or just PM the person in charge of whatever you are looking at crafting and they can match you up with a family in need.
I would try to craft something but I have so much to do between baby, household stuff Ive put on the back burner for way to long and Christmas/birthday sewing that I dont' think I could manage another thing right now.

#372 of 603 Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Made some bean bags for my nephew and found a cute bucket to put them in!
rere -- those are darn cute! You are so creative!

Even though I'm done making holiday gifts, it's fun to keep up with this thread and see what you're all doing! What fun!

#373 of 603 Old 10-11-2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softmama View Post
gonna jump into the thread (better late than never, right?)

I am going to be making banana bread and blueberry jam for aunts/teachers/bus driver this year.

The problem: I have never made jam or canned anything ever.

I have been googling blueberry jam and am trying to locate the easiest, no fail recipe. if anyone has any suggestions, let me know!!

It's the canning part that kind of freaks me out. I don't have any canning equipment. how important is that stuff? Or can I use a huge pot?
I make blueberry jam out of this book -- Blue Ribbon Preserves by Linda Amendt -- http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ribbon-Pr...6850581&sr=8-1

You really don't need special equipment. I use two stock pots when I make jam. One for the jam itself and one to boil the jars in once I've packed them.

Making jam is so rewarding. I love it. Enjoy!
#374 of 603 Old 10-12-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post
I make blueberry jam out of this book -- Blue Ribbon Preserves by Linda Amendt -- http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ribbon-Pr...6850581&sr=8-1

You really don't need special equipment. I use two stock pots when I make jam. One for the jam itself and one to boil the jars in once I've packed them.

Making jam is so rewarding. I love it. Enjoy!
awesome, thank you!!
#375 of 603 Old 10-12-2010, 10:07 AM

I got DD2's dress and apron done!
Since I couldn't find the right color felts anywhere and don't want to trust shipping over here (sometimes it takes a week to get here, othertimes it can take a couple of months), I talked to the girls about what else DD2 might like for her birthday. She wanted a monkey blanket thats really soft.. So, I did a monkey blanket with monkey fabric on one side and minky on the other. DD1's birthday isn't until January but since I was already in blanket mode I made her a minnie mouse/minky blanket and did a mickey mouse cammie/minky blanket for the baby.

So, only things I have left for DD2's birthday is to make the purse and clips.. and trust amazon to get out here quick enough to get her the DVD I was ordering (she doesn't watch TV pretty much at all but with the baby coming I thought one or two DVDs might be a good thing). I also need to do the banner but its just going to say "Happy Birthday" so its not going to be that hard. I figured that way I can reuse it. Oh I almost forgot, I agreed to make a vest for her stuffed monkey as well and a blanket to match the one I made her (otherwise the stuffed monkey will get wrapped in the blanket and she will look at me like I forgot her- nothing like an almost 2 year old to give you a guilt trip).

Tomorrow Im hoping to get the clips and purse done then work on the banner. I have a ton of cleaning to do and DH won't be home to play with the girls so they will need mommy playtime (a lot of Mommy playtime).

#376 of 603 Old 10-12-2010, 10:59 AM

Ok yarn people,will you help me out?

Is there any sort of decent yarn that can be bought at a place like Joann's?How does one determine a decent quality in yarn?Is it just preference?As in when I go fondle the yarns and go "OOOOOO"is that enough or should I be looking for something in particular?

Thanks for any help!

#377 of 603 Old 10-12-2010, 11:13 AM

rere- it depends on what you are making. Patons is fine for felting and you can get that there.

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#378 of 603 Old 10-12-2010, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
rere- it depends on what you are making. Patons is fine for felting and you can get that there.
Oh,yes,I should have been more specific.I'm not making anything.I'm considering buying some for a friend.She's a recreational knitter who would enjoy some of the more quirky yarns that I see there but I don't know if they're just total crap.What makes a good yarn good?

Thanks for the Patrons tip because I think I might give knitting/felting a try.

#379 of 603 Old 10-12-2010, 04:42 PM

Couldn't sleep last night so I finished up the monkey's vest and apron then took pictures of the projects I finished.
DD2's dress with apron
Dress without apron
All 3 blankets
Monkey in vest sitting on top of his blanket

#380 of 603 Old 10-12-2010, 04:44 PM

For yarn, I found that the stuff I can get from a regular crafting store works ok for generic items (scarfs, hats etc) but anything specific (like soakers) I try to get 100% wool. You could also look at places at fabric.com. They are having a sale right now on yarn (or was last time I looked).

#381 of 603 Old 10-12-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Oh,yes,I should have been more specific.I'm not making anything.I'm considering buying some for a friend.She's a recreational knitter who would enjoy some of the more quirky yarns that I see there but I don't know if they're just total crap.What makes a good yarn good?

Thanks for the Patrons tip because I think I might give knitting/felting a try.
I don't know- I think it is more of a personal preference more than anything. I personally think novelty yarns are so difficult to knit with- but I have used them on occasion. If you think she would like the yarn (and they do have some really fun ones there) I am sure she would love you for it!

#382 of 603 Old 10-12-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Couldn't sleep last night so I finished up the monkey's vest and apron then took pictures of the projects I finished.
DD2's dress with apron
Dress without apron
All 3 blankets
Monkey in vest sitting on top of his blanket
Cute!

Quote:
For yarn, I found that the stuff I can get from a regular crafting store works ok for generic items (scarfs, hats etc) but anything specific (like soakers) I try to get 100% wool. You could also look at places at fabric.com. They are having a sale right now on yarn (or was last time I looked).
Thanks!

#383 of 603 Old 10-12-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowaorganic View Post
I don't know- I think it is more of a personal preference more than anything. I personally think novelty yarns are so difficult to knit with- but I have used them on occasion. If you think she would like the yarn (and they do have some really fun ones there) I am sure she would love you for it!
Thanks!That helps.

#384 of 603 Old 10-13-2010, 01:31 AM

I got the purse and headband done while DD2 was napping (excuse the crabby face, she just woke up and didn't want her picture taken)

#385 of 603 Old 10-14-2010, 08:09 PM

Well, I have decided to make my dh a ribbed scarf as part of his holiday present. I am making it in brown alpaca yarn.

I got the idea from this book -- http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Knitting-...7097821&sr=8-1

I was just browsing through the book and the ribbed scarf really caught my eye. It is begging to be made!

Also, for my family I want to make this advent calendar that was posted here at MDC sometime earlier this year -- http://linaloo.typepad.com/linaloo/2...mment-92142056

I love it!

Hope everyone's gift making is coming along as you'd like!
#386 of 603 Old 10-14-2010, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyfulheart View Post
Well, I have decided to make my dh a ribbed scarf as part of his holiday present. I am making it in brown alpaca yarn.

I got the idea from this book -- http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Knitting-...7097821&sr=8-1

I was just browsing through the book and the ribbed scarf really caught my eye. It is begging to be made!

Also, for my family I want to make this advent calendar that was posted here at MDC sometime earlier this year -- http://linaloo.typepad.com/linaloo/2...mment-92142056

I love it!

Hope everyone's gift making is coming along as you'd like!
My friend learned to knit from that book.

I love that advent calendar too!That's the type of thing I need to work on in January so I don't rush through it and have the time to put all those cute details into it.

#387 of 603 Old 10-14-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I got the purse and headband done while DD2 was napping (excuse the crabby face, she just woke up and didn't want her picture taken)
Sweet!

#388 of 603 Old 10-14-2010, 11:13 PM

I got the girls capes done this morning and did one of the snake ties. im working on the other one right now

eta- Oh I found more rice! Second one filled and sewed up. Im "test driving" them right now, you know I have to make sure they work well. I might have to make one or two of these for DH's and my stockings..

#389 of 603 Old 10-15-2010, 02:39 AM

I am deeply inspired by all of you who are so cleverly creating your gifts for your family.

I have always wanted to do this...for the entire holiday gift giving season, but I tend to wait till the last minute, which causes me so much stress.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED the felted soap and the avent calendar. I have picky family members. No one wants anything knitted. I love to knit. I haven't done any felting but practice felting. I love the kidea of the felted soap. Seems like a luxury to me, but I don't know about my picky family.

My children are much older than most of your children. What I am looking for are ideas for my 14 year old son. I am not going to have time to knit a sweater for him. Hat and scarf...he already has. He is a very neat teenager and he would accept anything I would make him, but I want to surprise him.

I think I could make my two 10 year old daughters some fun clothing, but I need to get my sewing machine fixed. I broke my bobbin winder last year during a crazy last minute gift making frenzie! I still haven't gotten it fixed, and I don't know if it can be fix...my worst fear.

So... it may be down to sewing glue. Anyone use that on any gifts? what kinds? What have you made for your teenager male relatives?
A wallet is what my son wants. I thought I might check out etsy and copy a wallet and make my own pattern ( I love Little Ellie's wallets!). But honestly, it looks complicated without a pattern. Does she sell patterns?

I need to finish the girls hats from last year. They already know about them, so they would be happy to get them...but it wouldn't be a great gift! : )

DD1 loves drawing more than anything. Art supplies would be her most fav gift. But I am wondering if I should decorate some cans with fabric and ric rac? Rere, I need some suggestions. What do you think?

Then after the kids, I have:

Mother:
Father:
Sister:
Brother:
Sis in law:
Bro in law:
21 yr neice:
13 yr neice:
18 yr nephew
I'm completely lost. Okay...please, suggestions everyone!

Vegetarian Hindu, mother to L,P and R. 
#390 of 603 Old 10-15-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
I got the girls capes done this morning and did one of the snake ties. im working on the other one right now
what is a snake tie?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page