Lets start thinking DECEMBER!!!! Make the season HOMEMADE!!! - Page 17 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#481 of 603 Old 11-15-2010, 07:32 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4evermom View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post

I'm also a gluten for punishment so it works out well.winky.gif

Try making a gluten free doughnut, next time.  :lol

ROTFLMAO.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolansmummy View Post

Next year (right after the holidays) I'm going to make that advent calendar someone posted.

I swear I'm starting in January next year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post

So I've finished the car playmat I was working on. Finally.

It's for DS and was going to be for Christmas but I am terrible at waiting and he is 15 months old, so I figured he wouldn't notice. winky.gif

Plus, we are traveling before and over Christmas so I want the kids to have them when we go back east. 

I uploaded a pic below, more detailed pics on my blog if you want to see: http://sadie-cakes.blogspot.com/2010/11/car-playmat.html

Next up, a fairy mat. And a build a snowman kit for the cousins. And ankle bells!

car playmat.jpg

AWESOME!

I finished up the dry erase marker board,for my sister,this morning.

#482 of 603 Old 11-15-2010, 03:00 PM

DH is off! Im so excited, hopefully I get some of the stuff done. Hes been gone so much and leaves again for Guam next week so half of me wants to just hang out with him and not do anything. With his work schedule we get almost no time together. But he took the leave specifically so I can get some of these projects done so I think I should work on them. Today Im going to work on doing the journals and cutting out the dresses for DDs and myself.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#483 of 603 Old 11-16-2010, 12:26 PM

Bought some really soft white velvety yarn to put some drizzle icing on the giant doughnut!Now I just have to muster up the energy to sew it on.winky.gif

Oh,and last night I find out that my brother doesn't like chocolate.?What?I've known this man for 37 years.How could I not know that he doesn't like chocolate?Who doesn't like chocolate?So anyway,I guess hot chocolate mix isn't a good gift idea for him.I'll have to think of something else to go along with his slippers.

#484 of 603 Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

DH is off! Im so excited, hopefully I get some of the stuff done. Hes been gone so much and leaves again for Guam next week so half of me wants to just hang out with him and not do anything. With his work schedule we get almost no time together. But he took the leave specifically so I can get some of these projects done so I think I should work on them. Today Im going to work on doing the journals and cutting out the dresses for DDs and myself.

Glad you have some time but I know that can be a tough choice.My husband is gone right now.

#485 of 603 Old 11-17-2010, 06:39 AM

#486 of 603 Old 11-17-2010, 06:55 AM

Quote:

Finished the doughnut!

I love the stripes!

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#487 of 603 Old 11-17-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouso View Post

Quote:

Finished the doughnut!

I love the stripes!

Thanks!

#488 of 603 Old 11-19-2010, 12:40 AM

mouso - I love love LOVE your car play mat!! How fun is that! I especially like the dimension that you added to it.

OkiMom - Good luck in getting some gift making time in, I hope you can concentrate better than I! biggrinbounce.gif

rere - The stripes look great! I think you made the right choice. I kind of wish I had a doughnut pillow now...

Christmas crafting is going real slow for me! I keep starting other projects shake.gif In order to be able to craft more easily, I though DD2 could use a play quilt, so I've been working on that, have 3 out of 6 - 9 squares done, although at this point I'm starting to think I should make a 4th and call it good. lol.gif Better off smaller, done, and in use than larger and ambitious and never finished. I'm getting to know myself! blush.gif We also made an experimental bouquet of felt flowers which turned out really nice, I think. I'll try posting a pic of those later. I can't open the folder with those pictures in it right now because I need to make some hard drive space bigeyes.gif Numerous other crafts and activities have distracted me from getting what I need to done, too. It's fun now, but it's going to hurt in the weeks before Christmas mecry.gif This coming weekend is my little brother's birthday party and I decided to make him a kitty hat. But I've never made a hat before, so I thought I had better try one out first. So I made a hat for DD2 with some white fleece I had. It was a bit clumsy, but I think it came out cute.. Let's see, I'll try out this adding a picture to a post thing.

Kitty Hat

Okay, it's really big. Sorry. Anyway, I am glad I did because while I am happy enough with it's cuteness factor, it really doesn't look like a cat. Well, upon seeing the hat, DD1 needed one too, very badly. orngtongue.gif So that's what I spent my precious post-baby-bedtime couple hours doing tonight. I made the ears pointier and moved them down the head a bit and also made the band about half the size. It was so much less confusing for me this time and I was pretty pleased with myself on how I managed to whip out a pattern and get it all cut out between nursing DD2 back to sleep again 4 times, hehe. Making my own pattern for the hats was a serious stretch of my sewing abilities so I am really happy that they came out hat shaped. orngbiggrin.gif I think the second one came out much neater and definitely in a fraction of the time, yay! I have the face fused on and just need to stitch those all down and I'll be done. Now I just need to run out tomorrow morning before DH leaves to work with our car to pick up black fleece for my brothers, argh. Er.. it will be considerably less baby girl-ish winky.gif I also feel like maybe I could make them for a couple of the kids on my list instead of whatever it was I was going to try to make. I just don't have very much time and I feel like I could get these done and have my youngest nieces be very happy with them, and maybe my nephews as well. Maybe I could make them matching hat and scarf sets and put paw prints on the ends of the scarves or something. Maybe I will make the boys' foxes. I like foxes. Sorry, it's 3:30 in the morning and I really ought be be in bed so I am rambling instead.dizzy.gif

I have, however, gotten 5 out of 6 of the birds all paper mached and ready to paint when they all finish drying in a day or two, hopefully I will finish the other tomorrow so it can dry while we're away over the weekend as well. I made the teacup candle for DH's Grandma today, and DD1 and I also dipped all of the green pine cones. We threw some acorns in there, too, for good measure. nod.gif Man was that so much more of a hassle than I expected it to be. You have such a small window of time that the wax is an okay temp to dip in, and that window is not nearly long enough when a 2 y/o is doing the dipping. shake.gif I am not really looking forward to doing the green.

Okay, I am going to go to bed now. Goodnight. Hope everyone is getting more of their real list done than I am. ROTFLMAO.gif

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

http://thejuicery.blogspot.com/

#489 of 603 Old 11-19-2010, 05:15 AM

I have made 12 wool dryer balls for 3 gifts (and some for me).. I melted all the kids broken crayons into star shaped multiple color crayons for gifts.

The other items I really have to wait to get closer since its mostly food.

I love the doughnut pillow, so cute! and the car mat is awesome (will consider making that next yr for ds but not enough time to do it this year!)

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#490 of 603 Old 11-19-2010, 07:02 AM

I just made these paper evergreen trees for decoratations around our home but they would make sweet gifts too: http://www.frontierdreams.blogspot.com

Waldorf mama to Autumn DD 9/05 and my Spring DD 4/08 Winter baby due 2/11
#491 of 603 Old 11-19-2010, 07:48 AM

Thanks for the car mat love! It was fun to make. love.gif

Juise: Cute hat! I have a nice or nephew coming in June. 

counterGOP- I like those trees. So simple but they look really pretty!

Was it this thread where I saw these? Another paper craft that could really be any time of year: http://themagiconions.blogspot.com/2009/12/make-hanging-christmas-stars.html

I love them! We will be gone for much of Christmas but I have them saved in case we get around to it. 

My daughter decided she's rather have this for fairies instead of a flat mat like the car mat: http://uklassinus.blogspot.com/2008/08/fabric-dollhouse-tutorial.html

And I was going to crochet those ankle bells but my daughter and her cousin LOVE sparkly things- the gaudier the better :lol - so last night I started sewing bells onto stretchy sequin bands that I made. So very shiny and not as "nice", but easier and I know they will like it better.

Mama to a sweet 12/06 girl fairy.gif and a squishy 8/09 boy biggrinbounce.gif
#492 of 603 Old 11-20-2010, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post

rere - The stripes look great! I think you made the right choice. I kind of wish I had a doughnut pillow now...

Thanks!Now my daughter and sister want doughnut pillows too.

I think  hats would be great gifts for the kids on your list.Super cute!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meksmama View Post

I have made 12 wool dryer balls for 3 gifts (and some for me).. I melted all the kids broken crayons into star shaped multiple color crayons for gifts.

The other items I really have to wait to get closer since its mostly food.

I love the doughnut pillow, so cute! and the car mat is awesome (will consider making that next yr for ds but not enough time to do it this year!)

Thanks!

I made star crayons last year but most of them broke when I tried to get them out of the mold.Uhg.What kind of mold did you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by counterGOPI View Post

I just made these paper evergreen trees for decoratations around our home but they would make sweet gifts too: http://www.frontierdreams.blogspot.com

Nice!

I made some "sample slippers"(for me)yesterday.They turned out good except that one is bigger than the other.redface.gifSo now I have a sweater in the machine getting nice and felted up.Hopefully when it's done it will still be big enough for a pair of slippers for my brother.

#493 of 603 Old 11-20-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:

I made star crayons last year but most of them broke when I tried to get them out of the mold.Uhg.What kind of mold did you use?

Silicone mold for the stars. I used a non stick one for the mini muffin ones and they were harder to get out.  I tried to find other shapes with no luck... 

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#494 of 603 Old 11-20-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meksmama View Post

Quote:

Silicone mold for the stars. I used a non stick one for the mini muffin ones and they were harder to get out.  I tried to find other shapes with no luck... 

Dang!That's what I used too but  not much luck.

So I sorta forgot about the slippers and made a table runner for a grab bag present.Having trouble taking a pic of it though.

Off to get the felted sweater out of the dryer so maybe I can get motivated and start the slippers.Maybe coffee will help.

#495 of 603 Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Started the slippers last night but spent the morning working on a funky little sweater for my girl.She was too sweet when she asked for it,I couldn't resist.Trying to motivate again...more coffee?

#496 of 603 Old 11-21-2010, 10:23 AM

Is there anything to make a 14 yr old boy?So frustrated...

#497 of 603 Old 11-21-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:

Been lurking since day one working on my own list.... but I am the proud mom of such a beast :).  Depending on the boy - long stocking cap, hat with ear flaps, journal cover, pencil roll, FOOD, a dop kit - for razor, deodorent, manpoo, a bag for hobby supplies, skate blade covers, microfiber towel with cool back to dry off skate blades before they go in bag.........

#498 of 603 Old 11-21-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34me View Post

Quote:

Been lurking since day one working on my own list.... but I am the proud mom of such a beast :).  Depending on the boy - long stocking cap, hat with ear flaps, journal cover, pencil roll, FOOD, a dop kit - for razor, deodorent, manpoo, a bag for hobby supplies, skate blade covers, microfiber towel with cool back to dry off skate blades before they go in bag.........

Thank you!I was actually considering some of the things you listed.I was thinking some sort of hat paired with a scarf with pockets to hold his phone etc.I was also considering a journal or food.

And I'm over here laughing that you called them beasts and the term manpoo is cracking me up.

Oh yeh...I made some napkins to go with the table runner that I made yesterday!But those slippers...yeh...ummm...

#499 of 603 Old 11-22-2010, 08:09 AM

Finished the slippers!

#500 of 603 Old 11-22-2010, 11:30 AM

rere- did you follow a pattern for those slippers?  so cute!

#501 of 603 Old 11-23-2010, 01:42 AM

I umm haven't gotten much done. Im so exhausted all the time. Im going to force myself to do things tomorrow since Im going to be out in the living room/kitchen area making food for Thanksgiving (tomorrow is Wednesday here). Hopefully i get some stuff done.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#502 of 603 Old 11-23-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softmama View Post

rere- did you follow a pattern for those slippers?  so cute!

Thanks!No,not a pattern but I cut up an old falling apart pair of mine and traced them.

#503 of 603 Old 11-23-2010, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkiMom View Post

I umm haven't gotten much done. Im so exhausted all the time. Im going to force myself to do things tomorrow since Im going to be out in the living room/kitchen area making food for Thanksgiving (tomorrow is Wednesday here). Hopefully i get some stuff done.

It takes a lot of energy to grow a human(especially when you're also taking care of other humans).Rest.smile.gif

#504 of 603 Old 11-23-2010, 09:17 AM

lurk.gif

Mama~Blogger~Artist~Homemaker. Family = DH (married 6 years), baby Elinor, and our puppy Frances.
novaxnocirc.gif    dog2.gif  homebirth.jpg    mdcblog5.gif

#505 of 603 Old 11-23-2010, 12:28 PM

Rere- thanks, I keep forgetting how much energy it takes just to be pregnant. DH reminded me last night that I go in waves when Im pregnant, one week I have tons of energy and the next I have none. He figures when the baby is growing he saps all my energy from me. Wouldn't be surprised, little stinker!

Last night the girls were having meltdowns from DH not being home at his usual time so I had them help me make Christmas crayons..
Snowmen

002.JPG

And Gingerbread men

001.JPG

I put them aside and Im going to print out some Christmas coloring sheets to entertain them while Im cooking tomorrow (tomorrow is Thanksgiving here).

#506 of 603 Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 PM

Rere - A note on the scarf pocket... I have a scarf with a pocket on the tail. Although I was very excited about it at first, I don't use the pocket anymore because if I put anything in it, it makes the tail.. uh.. we'll make up a word here and hope you understand, "pendulate." Which is a bother on its own, but also causes the scarf to tighten until I'm being strangled. I used it for awhile anyway because it was cool, but the novelty wore off and I was tired of getting choked and it dragging on me. crap.gif Although it held a pack of cigarettes and a lighter just fine in college when I smoked, lol. rolleyes.gif Anyway, I just wanted to suggest not putting the pocket too low on the tail. I think if the pocket had been farther up the scarf it would have been a lot better. Not sure where you were going to put yours, but mine was at the end, and it was not a good place for it.

In other news, I made the hat for my little brother, and I am very happy with how it came out! It has huge, anime style eyes. It's hard to see the shape of the ears in this picture because the black fabric blends into the background, but if you look hard you can see it. They're my favorite ears yet. orngbiggrin.gif Unlike my girls' hats, this one is fully lined with a soft, fuzzy white fleece, and has ear flaps and ties. I also picked up a perfect brown fuzzy material for the fox hats, and will line and have ear flaps with ties on those, too. 

Fall '10.jpg

Have crayon "cookies" done - Here's one batch, we made a few.

Winter 09 - 10 1151.jpg

And I have all the wire legs / feet done for the birds and on, and a base coat down. Kaia will paint them tonight when they dry. They are so cute!

rainbow1284.gifJuise - stillheart.gif Vegan-organic greenthumb.gif food-growing mama to dust.gif Kaia Hanako - 8 Feb 08, babyf.gif Katalin Reiah - 13 July 10, flowerkitty.gif 4x Little Furry Kitty Friends, chicken3.gif 11x Chickens, goldfish.gif Assorted Aquatic Life, and Wife to malesling.GIF Lee. computergeek2.gif

#507 of 603 Old 11-23-2010, 02:52 PM

OkiMom- Nice way to keep the kids calm!

Juise- Thank you!I had planned to put the pockets a little further up but I was really worried about the strangulation feeling thing.And the hat is sooooo cute!

I just can't think of an idea that I really like for this 14yr old boy.My husband,who will from now on be referred to as Scrooge,says "he's a teenage boy and he doesn't want any of that stuff".Isn't he horrible?I can't believe he's right.Especially not for this boy who is a bit on the funky/eccentric side.Part of the problem is that I've already made him so much stuff.

#508 of 603 Old 11-23-2010, 04:51 PM

Rere - Does this boy have any particular interests or hobbies we could work from? Gamer, geeky, preppy, sports, art, science, activities, area of study, etc..?

#509 of 603 Old 11-23-2010, 05:07 PM

Oh, also, I forget who else was making the marbleized glass ornaments, but have you tried it yet? She says to use only a few drops, and cautions over and over in the tutorial not to use too much paint. I put in maybe 5 or 6 drops of paint per globe yesterday, and it didn't move at all. I had intended for Kaia to make these for her grandparents, but, needless to say, she got bored real fast with the lack of anything happening. I turned them and left them for an hour or so, and 2 of the 3 colours moved a little bit, the 3rd not at all. It didn't even spread out, it's a lump in there. Think I should water down my paint a little bit? I misted the insides of the globes to see if I could get anything to happen, and I think it helped some, but not enough. I'm afraid of the paint cracking and peeling off like some of the comments in the tutorial had happen.

#510 of 603 Old 11-23-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juise View Post

Rere - Does this boy have any particular interests or hobbies we could work from? Gamer, geeky, preppy, sports, art, science, activities, area of study, etc..?

He plays video games but I wouldn't put him in the gamer category.He really likes music.He plays piano and has just started playing drums.He's the kind of guy who's not afraid to be a little dorky and therefor is kinda cool.Tonight I was thinking of making him something that has to do with the Beatles.He's a fan and I'm not and he always teases me about it.He has a magnet board on his bedroom door so I was thinking Beatles magnets but what else?

My husband,aka Scrooge, finally came around and decided to try to help me.He said I should decorate a t-shirt or a hoodie with some band that our friend likes.But I've made him a t-shirt in the past.Scrooge says that's not a problem.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page