Lets start thinking DECEMBER!!!! Make the season HOMEMADE!!! - Page 5 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#121 of 603 Old 07-10-2010, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wow, awesome, rere! I looked at an apron set, felt foods, and a barn bag....and all three were just absolutely darling. I am excited to get started on felt foods next week.

Mama to 3 boys 

#122 of 603 Old 07-10-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.shell View Post
Wow, awesome, rere! I looked at an apron set, felt foods, and a barn bag....and all three were just absolutely darling. I am excited to get started on felt foods next week.
Thanks!

Felt foods are super fun to make!

#123 of 603 Old 07-12-2010, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Haven't been working on many gifts but I just grabbed some 100% bernet felting wool on sale for 1.60 a ball..so Im going to make something for a friend with it. Im thinking a purse.

mommy daddy son daughter = our family
#124 of 603 Old 07-14-2010, 12:57 PM

i've started christmas gifts here too. i plan on making an assortment of mittens, slipper socks, scarves, hats, and pot holders. i also LOVE the newspaper box someone psoted here. i will definitely be trying that!

homeschooling mama to DD 10 & DS 7 blogging.jpg

#125 of 603 Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 PM

I made 2 purses last night, for my s-i-ls. I made a matching glasses case for one of them so far, but would like to have a set of accessories in each bag.
I used the pattern for the Folklore Bag and posted pics on my blog. Plan to make more, smaller, bags today. I need to go back upthread and find my list to check and edit. It feels GREAT to be crossing names off the list, doesn't it!

Mama to 3 boys 

#126 of 603 Old 07-16-2010, 02:36 AM

I made 4 more gifts today; they were all zppered bags. One is like a wristlet small purse, one is like a make up bag, one is for a man for toiletries for travelling, and one is a little zip bag for legos.

Mama to 3 boys 

#127 of 603 Old 07-16-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I made 4 more gifts today; they were all zppered bags. One is like a wristlet small purse, one is like a make up bag, one is for a man for toiletries for travelling, and one is a little zip bag for legos.
Nice!It's so great to hear your progress.

#128 of 603 Old 07-17-2010, 01:55 PM

Just finished another oven mitt.I would like to finish them all today but now it's 90+ degrees in my attic(where I brought the sewing machine after the flood).I think I might take my daughter's suggestion and move the operation to the dining room for a bit.

#129 of 603 Old 07-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Only one more oven mitt to go!I don't have any fabric right now that I liked for that last person so it will have to wait until I find something good.

I'm starting to have the"it's not enough's"creep in.As in this stuff I make is not enough of a gift.Uhg!Do you all experience any of that?How do you fight it?UHG!

#130 of 603 Old 07-19-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
I'm starting to have the"it's not enough's"creep in.As in this stuff I make is not enough of a gift.Uhg!Do you all experience any of that?
I have had this feeling before, rere. I remember last year, I was busting my behind during December making what I thought were so many cool gifts. And then we would go to the party, and I would realize that I had made a few *small* gifts, while others were laden with multiple large sacks of very large packages and were handing out many gifts to each person.

I was brought up with an insane materialistic celebration of Christmas (and everything else), and I am trying to be less materialistic myself. But December is the time of year when I feel my differences the strongest and sometimes I do get that its not enough feeling.

But that materialistic craziness is not how things should be and I hope that my little handmade especially-for-you presents are appreciated by them. But because of the way my folks did (and still do) Christmas, I do feel sometimes that I should make more. That is a reason why I started early this year.

I think oven mitts make great gifts. If you felt bothered it was not enough for someone, maybe you could think about making a square or round hot pad to match and turn it into a set? DP suggested that to me yesterday, and I have enough fabric to do that for a couple I have made, but not on others. I plan to give something like a jar of garden salsa or dried peppers along with a mitt, anyway, so I don't feel too inclined to worry about making sets. Most folks probably have some pot holders already anyway and would just love to have the special mitt. It's enough and your people will love them!

Mama to 3 boys 

#131 of 603 Old 07-19-2010, 07:18 PM

ms.shell...thanks for the reassurance.I really and truely believe in the handmade gifts,I just know not everyone shares my enthusiasm.I think I was just feeling doubtful because I was going to get started on a gift for my MIL and she is definitely one who does not share my enthusiasm but she hasn't been enthusiastic about store bought gifts from me either so...

I like the salsa idea.I do plan on giving food along with the mitts.Hopefully made from tomatoes from my garden.

Oh and as for that gift for my MIL...I was determined to make it today but my sister and her son unexpectedly came over and we all went to the pool.Oh well,maybe later tonight.

#132 of 603 Old 07-19-2010, 08:52 PM

starting to craft holiday gifts with the kiddos!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#133 of 603 Old 07-21-2010, 01:26 PM

Hey Mamas!If you haven't checked out ms.shell's blog you should.She's been busy and has lots of great gift ideas!A few that I might need to "borrow".

#134 of 603 Old 07-22-2010, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

I started kniting up the felt purse for my friend Suzy for xmas. But its her bdayin the next couple weeks...SOOOOO it may end up being a bday present LOL <sigh>

#135 of 603 Old 07-22-2010, 10:53 AM

the kids and I are going to make peanut butter cups for the far away family. any great ideas for mailing them? (I was thinking fabric covered boxes that could be reused)??

#136 of 603 Old 07-22-2010, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowmoon View Post
the kids and I are going to make peanut butter cups for the far away family. any great ideas for mailing them? (I was thinking fabric covered boxes that could be reused)??
Aren't you afraid they'll melt? LOL...might be a weird question. Maybe thats just my weird thinking lol

#137 of 603 Old 07-22-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
oh, YUM! Those look too good to wait until December! I think I might take a trip to the store for ingredients for these today! DP has a birthday coming up and I bet he would love some homemade peanut butter cups.

Sorry, I have NO IDEA how you would mail those....like caiesmommy, I would be afraid they would melt.

Mama to 3 boys 

#138 of 603 Old 07-22-2010, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiesmommy View Post
Aren't you afraid they'll melt? LOL...might be a weird question. Maybe thats just my weird thinking lol
well it will be cold in December and they will all be going to cold places too, so no worries about melting.

#139 of 603 Old 07-22-2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
oh, YUM! Those look too good to wait until December! I think I might take a trip to the store for ingredients for these today! DP has a birthday coming up and I bet he would love some homemade peanut butter cups.

Sorry, I have NO IDEA how you would mail those....like caiesmommy, I would be afraid they would melt.
please let us know how they come out!
(I have never made them)

#140 of 603 Old 07-23-2010, 10:02 AM

OOOOOO!I made homemade peanut butter cups once.They were great!Definitely something I would consider a great present to get.

#141 of 603 Old 07-23-2010, 10:22 AM

I'm so excited!I think I've worked out a swap for a present for my husband.I have some friends who make awesome ceramic stuff and they want some felt food to use for displays at fairs.So technically I won't be making that present but I will be making something so he can get a handmade present.That counts...right?

#142 of 603 Old 07-23-2010, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
well it will be cold in December and they will all be going to cold places too, so no worries about melting.
See thats what I would THINK..but then the truck shipping handling ect ect. Maybe im just crazy lol

I should make those for my uncle he LOVES peanut buttercups! And I never know what to make him!

#143 of 603 Old 07-23-2010, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere View Post
I'm so excited!I think I've worked out a swap for a present for my husband.I have some friends who make awesome ceramic stuff and they want some felt food to use for displays at fairs.So technically I won't be making that present but I will be making something so he can get a handmade present.That counts...right?

100% counts! Still homemade! I wish I had friends that I could swap with The only other people around me that are really crafty, are my dh(whos always too busy around the holidays to help), my bff(whos in the middle of planning a wedding LOL) and my grandma who knits for everyone anyways...I need a set of crafty friends LOL

#144 of 603 Old 07-23-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
wow they have cool stuff! lucky DH!

#145 of 603 Old 07-23-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
See thats what I would THINK..but then the truck shipping handling ect ect. Maybe im just crazy lol
I would worry about that too.BUT I'm willing to help.Rainbowmoon(or anyone else)can send me some and I'll let you know how they do.

Quote:
100% counts! Still homemade! I wish I had friends that I could swap with The only other people around me that are really crafty, are my dh(whos always too busy around the holidays to help), my bff(whos in the middle of planning a wedding LOL) and my grandma who knits for everyone anyways...I need a set of crafty friends LOL
I wish I had more people to swap with too.I LOVE the whole idea of the swap.Everytime I participate in an MDC craft swap I get all giddy.

Quote:
wow they have cool stuff! lucky DH!
Aren't they awesome?!

#146 of 603 Old 07-31-2010, 01:22 PM

I just made some bacon and eggs for my felt food/ceramics gift swap.I'm out of felt and my daughter isn't feeling well so I don't want to drag her to the store.So now I'm just itching to make more.

What have you all been up to?

#147 of 603 Old 07-31-2010, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Painting the outside of my house<SIGH> not a lot of crafting happening.

BUT I did buy the first Holiday crafting magazine of the year. Found it at the grocery store today! The cashier looked at me like I had two heads but ds and I listened to Sesame Streets Christmas album on vinyl and looked through every page So many ideas. sadly only a few that are easy enough for him to do but he's ready to work on them all

#148 of 603 Old 07-31-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
sadly only a few that are easy enough for him to do but he's ready to work on them all
The seed has been planted.That's the important part!

Uhg.On the house painting.I should be painting my porch but...uhhh...

#149 of 603 Old 08-01-2010, 12:24 PM

#150 of 603 Old 08-01-2010, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
CUTE!

Im almost done the purse Im making for my friend Suzy's bday...it was suppose to be her xmas present but well now its her bday present instead LOL Its been fairly easy, just need to knit the strap, sew it together and then felt it. Im a little worried this is my first time felting something Ekkkk.

I'm pretty sure Im going to knit sock monkeys for dh's cousins 2 kids. They have a little girl and are expecting a baby boy this month so I'm thinking a little girl and a little boy monkey

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page