Do Crocheted Wool Soakers Really Work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-04-2010, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Forgive me for being a little skeptical, but I'm new to the whole CD thing. I crochet ALOT and would love to whip up some wool soakers for my babe, but not unless I know they actually will keep the wetness IN. I guess for some reason I just have trouble totally believing that moisture wouldn't escape because crocheted stitches tend to have more spaces than knit ones. I do not knit, and don't intend to anytime soon, so that's not an option! I know I could make some extra big and felt them, but then you run into the problem of sizing. I know that regardless, you have to lanolize the wool to make it moisture-resistant. But I'm needing a little bit more convincing that wetness would not still leak through the stitches. Am I just being silly?

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 05-04-2010, 02:49 PM

I only have a minute as I haven't had lunch yet but couldn't help but respond.
I was in the same boat as you several months ago but I bit the bullet and bought some inexpensive yarn to give it a go. I knit but the soakers should be one in the same. I made a few pair of longies for our new lo but didn't use them right away because I was skeptical. One day I just decided to try them and was so glad I did. I absolutely love wool! It's my go to dipe cover everyday.
Do they really hold the wetness in? If you use the proper wool, make the correct size, wash properly, and lanolize you will have no problems. I wash about once every couple weeks to a month and lanolize at the same time, of course. I have a wool wash bar for any poop that might escape. (fwiw, I've had this happen twice in 4.5 months.)

GL and hth!
#3 of 16 Old 05-04-2010, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just crocheted a wool sleep sack for my next LO. I used a single stitch to make sure it was nice and tight and didn't have much for holes. I may still felt it since the exact size isn't as important for a sleep sack.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 16 Old 05-04-2010, 03:36 PM

crochet stitches are thicker than knit, so it holds the moisture further back from the outside. even w/small holes, it works.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#5 of 16 Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 PM

My experience is that they work as well as any other wool, that is, they keep wetness in as long as they are not under compression (like, baby is strapped in a car seat)
#6 of 16 Old 05-04-2010, 04:19 PM

I also was very fond of my fleece covers and then pants. But, they really are too warm for my easily overheated lo. I started with acrylic since it is washable, but also resistant like the fleece. And, then switched to wool after I had knitted a few items. I was also a crocheter to start, but knitting has been easy to learn with the help of youtube. And, I NEVER use fleece ANYMORE. And, I rarely used the acrylic pants after the woolies were made as well. Comes to find out, you don't have to lanolize, but it does make them more resistant. I LOVE my woolies and don't use any others!! Kymberli
#7 of 16 Old 05-04-2010, 09:14 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, well, I'm going to give it a try then. I found some very economical wool on yarn.com that comes in lots of colors, so I will order some and give it a go!

Oh, anybody have a "fave" go to pattern for crocheting soakers/longies? I've found very few free ones online that look good enough to me, but I'm willing buy an e-pattern or two if I find some I like.

Wife to my best friend partners.gif (8-7-04) and mama to my sweet Josiah James baby.gif (10-30-10)
#8 of 16 Old 05-04-2010, 09:29 PM

this one is an old pattern from good housekeeping

http://www.glamarama.net/

Little fire soaker pants and longies

http://withatangledskein.blogspot.co...r-pattern.html

I have made both of these, while they both work well, I have to make different soakers for ds as the waist is too small for his chubby belly. You can make them a bit bigger and felt them if you want.

Check out Ravelry for free patterns if you haven't already

mum2row DD 3yrs & DS Oct/09
#9 of 16 Old 05-05-2010, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I've checked Ravelry and Crochet Pattern Central (my two stand-by's)...there are a few cute patterns on Etsy, too, but I'm always hesitant to spend money on a pattern unless I know it will work for me.

#10 of 16 Old 05-05-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemoncello View Post
Okay, well, I'm going to give it a try then. I found some very economical wool on yarn.com that comes in lots of colors, so I will order some and give it a go!
At worst, they are AWESOME as extra protection over a regular PUL diaper cover if you'll be out a long time or on a long drive or something... it absorbs any leaks that happen...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#11 of 16 Old 05-05-2010, 12:55 PM

Crocheted soakers absolutely can work. The thing to be aware of though is that the larger the stitch, the larger the holes. Also, if you're doing shorties/longies, I'd recommend adding stitched in the gusset - my one pair of crocheted shorties really has to stretch a lot in that area, which leaves wide open holes.

I crocheted a really simple soaker for a friend's baby shower just last week, did it in 2 evenings. It was all HDC and the way it was constructed meant it would fit from NB through probably the small end of Med. I haven't made one for my little guy yet, but I'm gonna - I really liked it. It was based on this pattern, but I adjusted the size for a NB (that's for a toddler). You can read about the adjustments I made in this thread.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#12 of 16 Old 06-06-2010, 03:36 AM

I made the same one, it works!!!!

My boy sleeps from 11pm to 9am, no leaks!!!!

here is my soaker:
http://namethatcandy.blogspot.com/20...for-lukie.html
#13 of 16 Old 06-23-2010, 01:42 AM

I really feel stupid for even asking this, but how do you know if you have the right yarn? I have tons of bargain quality yarn I've been given, but don't know how to tell if it will be any good for covers.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#14 of 16 Old 06-30-2010, 08:23 PM

You just make sure that it is 100% wool. Not Cotton or acrylic, they don't work.

You can go to Michaels or AC Moore, they have 100% wool for really cheap, esp you have coupon, I have tried Patons, Lion Brand and Stitch Nation. They are around $6 per skein, I can make one soaker from one skein. (for S/M)
#15 of 16 Old 06-30-2010, 08:53 PM

As long as it's 100% wool though it should work though? That's great, even I can follow those instructions!! lol I bookmarked a few photos/patterns for soakers but never wanted to start one with the wrong yarn.

Doula mama, medic daddy and Tenley Harper born naturally 11/29/11 delayedvax.gifbfinfant.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

#16 of 16 Old 07-01-2010, 04:14 PM

Absolutely! Crocheted wool soakers work just as well if not better than knit ones but they are more bulky than knit ones unless you are using a fine yarn and small hook. Just something to consider.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page