mold for melting crayons - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 05-04-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really need to get rid of the tiny bits of crayon around the house. I'd love to melt them down, but I can't figure out what to put them in. All I can come up with is muffin tins, but I don't want to ruin mine. Any ideas?
#2 of 19 Old 05-04-2010, 05:25 PM

Some metal cookie cutters of fun shapes?
#3 of 19 Old 05-04-2010, 05:28 PM

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf666289.tip.html

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#4 of 19 Old 05-04-2010, 07:32 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by llwr View Post
I really need to get rid of the tiny bits of crayon around the house. I'd love to melt them down, but I can't figure out what to put them in. All I can come up with is muffin tins, but I don't want to ruin mine. Any ideas?
muffin tins are fine if you use the paper liners first.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#5 of 19 Old 05-06-2010, 03:38 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I tried cookie cutters with foil scrunched round the bottom but they were not a great success. A lot of wax leaked out of the bottom so the crayons were not a great shape.

The last lot I made I used little paper cases and they came out OK.
#6 of 19 Old 05-06-2010, 03:30 PM

I used a muffin pan and it didn't ruin it at all...honest. Just make sure you throughly wash it afterwards. It's so much fun and the kid's love them...Good luck!!!
#7 of 19 Old 05-06-2010, 11:48 PM

When I was younger we did this with all our crayons! We put them into cupcake papers in muffin/cupcake pans, then the papers come off after they bake and the crayons are colorful and lots of fun!

Doula & Nanny,  Momma to Hope, my angel baby 6/17/08, and Momma to be- to a little boy, EDD 3.13.13

#8 of 19 Old 05-07-2010, 12:51 AM

We did a craft a couple of years ago where we melted crayons in muffin tins and then when they were still soft, cut them with a cookie cutter into heart and star shapes. We didn't ruin the muffin tin at all; when we popped the new crayon blob out, it stuck to itself, rather than to the tin.
#9 of 19 Old 05-07-2010, 01:20 AM

I use muffin liners in mine first. It keeps the pan clean and the liners come off easily plus the edges have a nice scalloped design on them.
#10 of 19 Old 05-10-2010, 12:34 PM

I use a heart-shaped silicon ice cube tray from Ikea. Oil it first so they slide out. I think a silicon candy mold would be great, too.
#11 of 19 Old 05-10-2010, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think of Winter View Post
I use a heart-shaped silicon ice cube tray from Ikea. Oil it first so they slide out. I think a silicon candy mold would be great, too.
ooh that sounds like a good one. my daughter has been asking to do this. She got a heart-shaped crayaon from a woman who runs the library storytime and she said she used a silicone try
#12 of 19 Old 05-13-2010, 04:41 PM

yeah I use the triangle silcone ice cube trays from IKEA.
#13 of 19 Old 05-13-2010, 04:44 PM

you can get silicone trays in a ton of different shapes for cheap on amazon. i use them for truffles

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#14 of 19 Old 05-13-2010, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think of Winter View Post
ohh that sounds like fun. I actually noticed today that my DS' preschool has a mix match box of bits of crayons that really the kids dont wnat to use. Im going to ask to repurpose them for the class Im sure heart and star shaped crayons would go over much better.
#15 of 19 Old 05-18-2010, 11:16 PM

I got some candy-molds from Michaels - we haven't tried them out yet, but it seems like they'd work??

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#16 of 19 Old 06-08-2010, 05:03 PM

Maybe it's just because I live in Iowa, but this seems like it would make for a fun shape.

Doula, WOHM, wife to a super-fun papa, mama to the Monkey ('07), and his little brother, the Sea Monkey ('09).
#17 of 19 Old 06-09-2010, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcparker View Post
Maybe it's just because I live in Iowa, but this seems like it would make for a fun shape.
I would worry about melting wax in a cast iron pan, would it affect the seasoning? Or get into the pores of the cast iron thus affecting any food you cooked in it later. I have a nice ABC cast iron pan I'd love to use but am not being able to make cookies in it after a batch of crayons. Anyone know more?

I have seen the corn stalk molds in glass, tho, so that would be a fun option. I think they made glass ones during WWII when iron was in short supply.
#18 of 19 Old 06-09-2010, 03:29 PM

When we did this the crayons that we created were not any good for coloring! I think I left them in the oven too long, maybe...? The color sank to the bottom, and even though the wax on top looked colored, it didn't really look colored on paper.

If I do it again, I will definitely try to take them out just as soon as they are slightly melty.
#19 of 19 Old 06-09-2010, 03:40 PM

I made a batch yesterday using an ABC plastic tray that I think was for Jello. I didn't mind if it got ruined because we never have Jello. Good thing, because I must have had it in the microwave too long and one of the letter forms melted and burst. Wax dripped onto the microwave plate but it was easy to wash off, as long as I got it quick before it dried too hard.

One thing I'll do next time, after getting a metal pan to use in the oven, is to leave out the blacks, browns, and the darker reds. I think the crayons would be brighter and prettier without all the dark colors. Maybe I just had an abundance of broken dark colors.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page