craft ideas for blind - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-09-2010, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother has just been diagnosed with neuromyelitis optica (NMO) or Devic’s disease - she's afraid that she'll eventually go blind from it.

She's a VERY crafty active person, currently knitting, quilting, cross stitching, sewing, etc. She wants to learn clay-sculpting, which sounds like a good thing ... but any other thoughts? resources?

I'm also very into all the textile arts, and this is my worst nightmare, as well.

thanks
--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 05-09-2010, 12:29 AM

First, she can definitely learn how to knit "blind" just in case. I did most of my knitting in college while reading books, so clearly limited visual input, and I know a blind woman who knit and crocheted.

Second, there's a group called Art Beyond Sight, website http://www.artbeyondsight.org/index.php. They're mostly focused on bringing the world of fine art to the blind (they have a whole series of art history textbooks in Braille, with pictures in a tactile format they developed), but I know there are some people there who have a lot of experience working with blind people in hands-on art projects. She could poke around the website now and/or email the people behind it -- they're very approachable.
#3 of 3 Old 05-09-2010, 12:50 AM

Origami? Loom weaving? I'd think most basket work could be done by feel and that would have interesting textures for her.

I don't know how easy it would be to cut out the fabric and such, but sewing manufacturers employ blind people at the sewing machines so there must be some way to sew seams without looking.

Could she take up a musical instrument? As a skilled crafting person, she's bound to have the coordination for it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page