HELP - lettering on an old suitcase?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-09-2010, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I found a sweet powder blue vitage hardside suitcase at a thrift store (for $1!!). I am filling it with dress up clothes for a little neighbor girl for her 3rd birthday. I want to put the words "Dress Up" on the outside of the suitcase
-- kind of like THIS ONE
What do I use to make the letters? Paint Pen? Or...? Any ideas crafty mamas? I am sort of craft impaired and I really want this to look nice. Thank you!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!
#2 of 5 Old 05-10-2010, 08:47 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I hate painting directly onto things. I like to be able to do it again if I mess up (and I do)

Could you paint onto a fabric panel then glue it onto the suitcase. You could glue ribbon round the edges to hide the edge of the fabric. I seem to have the best luck with spray adhesive.

Or maybe find wooden letters at a craft store which you could paint and glue on.

Hmm, maybe glue on some cotton rope in the shape of the letters.
#3 of 5 Old 05-11-2010, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
You can use a paint pen directly on the surface after you clean the suit case. Then you need to seal the entire surface with something like mod-podge.

Also if you go to the scrap-book section they have tons of letters to choose from, same thing though, if you are using stickers you need to clean the surface first then seal it when you are done.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#4 of 5 Old 05-11-2010, 06:47 PM

I would paint pens they are sold at most craft stores, the kind that make a clicking sound when you shake them up. They come in assort. colors. if you are unsure how the lettering would turn out I have often used my computer font and written out what I wanted and then used carbon paper (office supply store) to retrace on the item and then go over with my paint pens.
#5 of 5 Old 05-11-2010, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

You guys rock, these are all fabulous ideas! Normally I would call in my super-crafty-Martha-Stewart neighbor to help me, but the gift is for HER daughter! The good news is the suitcase is all cleaned up and is precious and the dress up items tuck in there perfectly!

Thanks mamas, and keep the ideas coming if anyone has more...!

Mama to Zach 6-18-04 & Naia 10-13-10 Partner to the sweetest DH. Loving our life afloat. TV Free!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page