Making 2 twin comforters out of 1 king...would this work? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-11-2010, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

I need some input from all of you crafty mdc mammas. In my basement sits an unused king sized down comforter (it was on our bed, but it is simply too heavy, even in the new england winter). My two children could each really use a new comforter. So, my plan is to sew a couple of lines right down the middle of this big one and then cut it apart in between the lines to minimize the amount of down flying around (I would do the cutting outside). It seems so simple that I must be missing something....what do you think?

I do realize that it might need to be shortened, and am prepared to do that as well.

Thanks for reading this.
#2 of 4 Old 05-11-2010, 11:59 AM

It shouldn't need shortening.

It won't be all nice and pretty, but if you manage to redistribute the down fairly evenly before you stitch/cut, it should work fine. Once you've cut it, I'd hem the cut edge down again though. And I'd definitely put it in a duvet cover.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#3 of 4 Old 05-11-2010, 12:34 PM

Yeah, that would work really well!

I would buy or sew two duvet covers which will cover up the cut edge, but that's about it.

Great idea to sew the two lines and cut between them. Just make sure to pin it securely, measure, mark and measure again before sewing.

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

#4 of 4 Old 05-11-2010, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

I think that you have given me the confidence I need to give it a try. My plan is to make duvet covers for the twin sized comforters. Since I'm thisclose to purchasing a serger, it would make finishing the cut sides that much easier! It's going to take me a week or two to find the time to give it a try. This is exciting! Thank you for your input and I'd love to hear more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page