Good Places to Buy Diaper fabrics?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 18 Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter
 
colsxjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 633
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in Toronto Canada. I am wanting to buy some fabrics to make some covers and soakers and make prefolds and fitteds.

What types of fabrics do you like?
Where do you buy your fabrics?

Thanks

Me 40 eat.gif. Partner to mamacolleen 33 superhero.gif. DD born July 2009 blahblah.gif. Twin boys born Nov 2012.

We are a family that loves cold.giftreehugger.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFcd.gif

colsxjack is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 18 Old 05-29-2010, 04:40 PM
 
NorthernPixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: in my garden
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've ordered from wazoodle.com before. If you're close enough (I think they're in Markham?) you can avoid the shipping. I've been happy with what I bought but I've also heard that others have been unhappy with their service.
NorthernPixie is offline  
#3 of 18 Old 06-06-2010, 02:59 PM
 
*~~Shannon~~*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: PNW
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I buy my fabrics from kidsinthegarden.com. I like PUL for the outer, suedecloth for the inner and microfiber for the soakers.

I get FOE from foeyourdiaper.com.

I've had great service and shipping with both.

Shannon (26), Fantastic Hubby (36), Awesome DS (12/07), and TTC our VBAC baby
*~~Shannon~~* is offline  
#4 of 18 Old 07-21-2010, 04:29 PM
 
weezix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 199
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by colsxjack View Post
I am in Toronto Canada. I am wanting to buy some fabrics to make some covers and soakers and make prefolds and fitteds.

What types of fabrics do you like?
Where do you buy your fabrics?

Thanks
I run a business making diapers and I'd sure LOVE to find a Canadian Supplier. I've heard of Wazoodle but have also heard bad reviews on their service/shipping.

I buy my PUL & Touch Tape from Kids in the Garden as well. I line my dipes with Microfleece that I pick up at Marshalls for usually only $5/meter, but at other stores like Fabricland it's $12/meter I've also bought the majority of my Microfleece from a fabric co-op out of the States.

I also buy my diaper flannel at Marshalls because it is LESS THAN HALF the price than it is at Fabricland. It's usually not out on the shelf though I have to ask for it (they tuck it back so it stays clean I think). Oh and I also get Microfibre towel by the meter there as well for $8/meter which is quite a bit cheaper than if you were to order from somewhere.

Do they have a Marshalls where you are?

Married Busy Mom to DSS 01/05, DD 11/05, DSD 11/06, DD 02/07, DS 03/08 and baby on the way 11/10
weezix is offline  
#5 of 18 Old 07-29-2010, 12:47 AM
 
artzy_fartzy68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Dallas
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i'm in the states, but I love Wazoodle. They take forever to ship to TEXAS but I'm not sure they would take that long in Canada. Usually it takes two weeks here, but I did get my order from there in one week, this time. I was amazed!

They have really nice stuff tho, and aside from the slow shipping that I expect, I've had NO problem. i recommend them! I sew baby products to sell and for gifts, and for all the babies in my family, so I buy a LOT Of stuff from them.

Jacki, old-fashioned, crunchy mama to five, grandmother to one.
artzy_fartzy68 is offline  
#6 of 18 Old 07-29-2010, 09:17 AM
 
leigh2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 44
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I order 90% of my diaper making supplies from Wazoodle. I've heard the bad reviews, but have never had any issues myself. I found their customer service to be very helpful. I'm in MD and I usually receive my orders in 1 week. I love that they give you bulk discounts.

hbac.gifknit.gifsewmachine.gif
 
SAHM to DD1 12/07, DD2 11/09, and expecting 04/11!
leigh2006 is offline  
#7 of 18 Old 07-30-2010, 04:36 AM
 
expatmommy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,032
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've ordered from Wazoodle a number of times & have been quite happy with their service & shipping.

Mom of 5: dd (10), ds (8) & dd2 (4), my sweet baby son born still 3/2/09, and celebrating the arrival of our dd 5/7/10.
expatmommy is offline  
#8 of 18 Old 01-08-2011, 11:37 PM
 
aussie mummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have had a really bad experience with Wazoodle Fabrics in Canada. My impression is that their customer service is OK as long as there are no issues with your order. If there are problems, they leave you in the dark.

I am out of pocket more than US $500 in two separate orders of undelivered fabric and Wazoodle doesn’t want to talk to me or to Consumer Services in Canada who could have mediated and worked towards a solution had Wazoodle come on board. The orders were held in process  for a number of weeks during which I was unable to contact Wazoodle for an explanation. The parcels then apparently spent months at sea but Wazoodle steadfastly resisted supplying tracking numbers to verify this or to verify that they reached Australia at all.  Eight months after I placed the orders Mike at Wazoodle told me that one parcel had been returned to Wazoodle and that he was awaiting the status of the second parcel from the postal service and that he would contact me the following day. A month later there was still no word from him. My requests for a refund have met with no response. Mike has indicated that he would look into the matter and propose a resolution. But he has just fobbed me off a few times, blamed  the Australian postal service, offered  a couple of lame excuses and  suggested that I should be more patient. Then he simply disappeared and ignored  any correspondence from me. He was never prepared to state or justify his position in keeping my money. After this experience I noticed lots of postings regarding their tendency towards poor customer service ,slow shipping and supplying conflicting information. I wonder, how widespread is this problem and when is Wazoodle going to acknowledge it? wazoodlecomplaints.blogspot.com  It is so frustrating because their range looks so good but Iwould warn against dealing with them, particularly on  a larger order. Kidsinthegarden are a lovely business to deal with in regard to customer service A1

aussie mummy is offline  
#9 of 18 Old 01-11-2011, 08:40 PM
 
nstewart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,720
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie mummy View Post

 

I have had a really bad experience with Wazoodle Fabrics in Canada. My impression is that their customer service is OK as long as there are no issues with your order. If there are problems, they leave you in the dark.

I am out of pocket more than US $500 in two separate orders of undelivered fabric and Wazoodle doesn’t want to talk to me or to Consumer Services in Canada who could have mediated and worked towards a solution had Wazoodle come on board. The orders were held in process  for a number of weeks during which I was unable to contact Wazoodle for an explanation. The parcels then apparently spent months at sea but Wazoodle steadfastly resisted supplying tracking numbers to verify this or to verify that they reached Australia at all.  Eight months after I placed the orders Mike at Wazoodle told me that one parcel had been returned to Wazoodle and that he was awaiting the status of the second parcel from the postal service and that he would contact me the following day. A month later there was still no word from him. My requests for a refund have met with no response. Mike has indicated that he would look into the matter and propose a resolution. But he has just fobbed me off a few times, blamed  the Australian postal service, offered  a couple of lame excuses and  suggested that I should be more patient. Then he simply disappeared and ignored  any correspondence from me. He was never prepared to state or justify his position in keeping my money. After this experience I noticed lots of postings regarding their tendency towards poor customer service ,slow shipping and supplying conflicting information. I wonder, how widespread is this problem and when is Wazoodle going to acknowledge it? wazoodlecomplaints.blogspot.com  It is so frustrating because their range looks so good but Iwould warn against dealing with them, particularly on  a larger order. Kidsinthegarden are a lovely business to deal with in regard to customer service A1


Sorry, I know this isn't the original question, but Aussie Mommy, if you paid by Visa or Master Card or American Express have you tried contacting them?  We were in a similar situation with some dining chairs we ordered from a vendor in the US which were never shipped to us in Canada and he tried to keep our money.  I had to be a bit pushy with visa (they gave me some excuse about not complaining within 30 days after placing the order, and that this was their "policy" but I persevered, asking for a copy of said "policy" and asking who made the policy,to explain how it applied in my case as we continued to be promised delivery, and could I speak to someone who could provide me with a copy of said policy and was soon put in touch with a manager who then said they would help) but we did eventually get refunded.  Sorry to hear you had such a nasty experience!


N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

nstewart is offline  
#10 of 18 Old 03-28-2011, 06:27 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I buy mine from http://www.printknitsstudio.com SUPER FAST shipping. I was blown away by how quick it arrived and really great quality stuff. Plus they included samples of other fabrics so you could see and touch them which kind of actually works in their favor because I always end up ordering more ;)


familybed1.gif   novaxnocirc.gif   treehugger.gif   bfolderchild.gif   homebirth.jpg  signcirc1.gifcd.gif    angel.gif one Angel Son

 

 

pos.gif Due in DEC 2014!

 

kid.gif Boy born 2010

sillything is offline  
#11 of 18 Old 03-28-2011, 08:06 PM
 
Italiamom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,414
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillything View Post

I buy mine from http://www.printknitsstudio.com SUPER FAST shipping. I was blown away by how quick it arrived and really great quality stuff. Plus they included samples of other fabrics so you could see and touch them which kind of actually works in their favor because I always end up ordering more ;)


Best. Link.  Ever.  THANK YOU!  I've been furiously scouring the web for some good knits.  I'm very, very excited about this link!!

 


Wife to DH geek.gif, mom to DS (4/09), and DD (8/11)fly-by-nursing2.gif, and crafty and hardworking in my own right!  In my parenting journey I've  delayedvax.gif, signcirc1.gif, familybed2.gif, h20homebirth.gif, andcd.gif.  To each family their own!!

 

 

"There are words for people like me, but I don't think there are very many."

Italiamom is offline  
#12 of 18 Old 03-29-2011, 12:31 PM
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 50
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

You are welcome! My only advice is pay attention to where they put Quality. I found the best fabric there was the 100% cotton interlock fabric and ones where they rate it great quality.. so thick and amazing perfect for diaper making! My favorite is the bacon and eggs found in the boy print knit section thumb.gif


familybed1.gif   novaxnocirc.gif   treehugger.gif   bfolderchild.gif   homebirth.jpg  signcirc1.gifcd.gif    angel.gif one Angel Son

 

 

pos.gif Due in DEC 2014!

 

kid.gif Boy born 2010

sillything is offline  
#13 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 01:24 PM
 
KCRoyalsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I run a co-op for many diaper making supplies and working on opening up a ready-to-ship shop for what I have on hand in the way of supplies.

 

You can find me on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_102630149820946&ap=1.

 

:)

KCRoyalsFan is offline  
#14 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 01:55 PM
 
NessieO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRoyalsFan View Post

I run a co-op for many diaper making supplies and working on opening up a ready-to-ship shop for what I have on hand in the way of supplies.

 

You can find me on facebook at http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk=group_102630149820946&ap=1.

 

:)


Is that a Canadian or American co-op?

 


Mommy to two beautiful children & Cloth Diaper Trader co-founder.
NessieO is offline  
#15 of 18 Old 05-11-2011, 02:20 PM
 
KCRoyalsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

American but we have a handful of Canadians involved and haven't had any issues so far with shipping or anything. :)

KCRoyalsFan is offline  
#16 of 18 Old 10-14-2011, 09:08 PM
 
littlelily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I ordered some woven bamboo terry (400gsm) for my business, and have TONS. I have so much because I ordered it straight from the factory in China. I won't use it all and am interested in selling some of it for diaper making...I have made some liners from it and it's fantastic!

If you'd like the link to the order form, I can post it here :)

littlelily is offline  
#17 of 18 Old 11-14-2011, 05:57 PM
 
BCmamaof6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,167
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

great question (to which I have no answer...but subbing for answers) ;)


Mama of 2 boys, 5 girls.grouphug.gif

BCmamaof6 is offline  
#18 of 18 Old 11-30-2011, 01:19 PM
 
oma to 9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I get most of my diaper making fabrics from http://www.naturesfabrics.com . Jeanne is a doll to work with and I've never found a better quality than the fabric she sells.  Many of my customers have mentioned how soft and absorbent Jeanne's bamboo fabrics are.  I don't use synthetic fabrics in diapers with the exception of PUL due to my own sensitivity especially to synthetic fleece.  I rarely sew with it because it makes my hands crack and bleed.  I've diapered 5 grandchildren with a bamboo fleece/bamboo terry combo and it's wonderful.  I especially like how absorbent it is once the toddlers reach the "pee like a horse" stage and want to soak everything in sight.  I actually made some diapers for my grandson that he could NOT pee through.  He waddled rather clumsily while wearing those diapers, but hey - they worked and his bedding stayed dry!!


Trisha

oma to 9 is offline  
Reply

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off