Any good patterns to making our clothes into maternity clothes? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-20-2010, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lets make a great list of links of tutorials that show us how to turn our regular clothes into maternity clothes!!!!!!! I have bought a couple tank tops, and a dress for church, but think I will try to make the rest of my clothes. Lets see those awesome links ladies!!!!!!!

A single mom, a student, and an aspiring midwife. Due with number 6 November 13th edd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 05-20-2010, 04:01 AM

I like this one, I wish I had it when I was pregnant!

http://homemadebyjill.blogspot.com/2...refashion.html

Andi, wife of Seraphim
Mom to Elijah (6/05) and Moses (6/08) and baby Joshua, UBAC February 18, 2011!

#3 of 7 Old 05-20-2010, 01:07 PM

its easy to make a cute summer top that would be perfect for maternity from a man's button down....i want to make a tutorial for this as soon as i finally get a camera connected to the computer....but basically you just cut off the top of the shirt, and get a small amount of contrasting fabric, which you use to bias bind the armholes and then make a thicker strip of binding to do the top of the front and back; gather the front and back of the original shirt to fit these and then make straps and attach. i leave the button front which makes it convenient for nursing, too....

Mama to 3 boys 

#4 of 7 Old 05-21-2010, 12:51 PM

I'm done with maternity sewing now (at 36 weeks I'm more about nursing wear now) but I did a lot of modifying non-maternity sewing patterns into maternity clothes. Mostly I sewed lots of stretchy knit or shirred skirts, but I also made some dresses and knit tops. Even though I have gained 40 pounds and got quite the belly I've also found that RTW non-maternity knit skirts have worked throughout my pregnancy.

One common tutorial I've seen is how to convert non-maternity pants or skirts by cutting out the front area and sewing in a panel of ribbing. I got bigger in the hips as well, so that wasn't really an option for me. But you could try it:

Kwik Sew sells a pattern with instructions and a panel pattern for doing this, Kwik Sew 3324.

And here's a free tutorial for doing the same.

----
Sewing, knitting, breastfeeding, babywearing, cloth diapering + working mama to baby Zora (born 6/22/10)
#5 of 7 Old 06-06-2010, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andisunshine View Post
I like this one, I wish I had it when I was pregnant!

http://homemadebyjill.blogspot.com/2...refashion.html
i love that one! I will definitely use it when I get PG

jeneca mommy to kamille, 6 lexi, 4
#3 due 2/28/12

#6 of 7 Old 06-15-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
its easy to make a cute summer top that would be perfect for maternity from a man's button down....i want to make a tutorial for this as soon as i finally get a camera connected to the computer....but basically you just cut off the top of the shirt, and get a small amount of contrasting fabric, which you use to bias bind the armholes and then make a thicker strip of binding to do the top of the front and back; gather the front and back of the original shirt to fit these and then make straps and attach. i leave the button front which makes it convenient for nursing, too....
i thought i should post here that i put a picture of this shirt up on my blog, and am working on a step by step tutorial, which may be totally unnecessary for this easy top.

Mama to 3 boys 

#7 of 7 Old 06-15-2010, 11:24 AM

Here's a tutorial - XL t-shirt to maternity tee:

http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2010/...rnity-tee.html

dog2.gifcrochetsmilie.gif Lovin' my sweetheart, pregnant with #1 (EDD Feb.2013) stork-suprise.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page