Question about selling stuffs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-27-2010, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking about selling stuff sometime soon, but not until my beanie is a little older. So I was coming against some ethical questions. And I absolutely don't want to step on anyones toes.
When does a pattern become your own?
I mean the Mei Tai pattern Jan Andrea has posted is great, but I changed it some like the strap length adding a hood, slight dimension changes. Is it then mine?

What about Felt houses? (not that I'm sure its worth the effort) If I make a house with a door and windows, garden and tree or use other ideas like a pirate ship or ocean adventure would it be copying Homemade by Jill or missprettypretty? The first idea (and second and third) came from them, but then again also from the fact that those are things houses have...

Like felt foods, I want to make ravioli, two squares sewn together stuffing inside with crimped edges, but one mom has directions for that on her blog. Part of me feels like its then stealing, but then again how else would you make ravioli?

I'm still in a thinking about thinking about mode, so please be nice in your responses. I'm just not sure how to go about the idea 'stealing' thing, when the ideas are kinda 'stolen' from life first (like play food), does it mean I can't since I didn't think of it first, like hi ho cherry oh.

also, what about simplicity patterns, can you modify them then sell or no?
Thanks!

ETA: I will admit I am currently internet stalking these brilliant ladies.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#2 of 7 Old 05-28-2010, 01:49 PM

not sure really about the answer to your questions.
but if you are interested in selling something that you feel like could be construed as "stealing" someone's pattern, i would suggest emailing the creator of the pattern to get permission. i recently made something from an internet tutorial that i really wanted to make more of, but they would have to be for sale as it was a baby dress and i have no one to give them to, currently. I just emailed her and asked her permission to make some for sale and she said sure. I didn't change the pattern, am using hers exactly, but i don't have to worry about anything, as i have her permission to make a few for sale in local shops.

Mama to 3 boys 

#3 of 7 Old 05-28-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I guess I just want to be sensitive to how the original author would feel if I spring boarded from their idea. I would hate to make anyone feel used. I did contact one person I'm thinking about doing something similar to and figured out the lines of concern and over lap.

I think of 'stealing' is from the idea owners point of view, not the borrower. Like how that one restaurant called McDonalds was made to change their name. I can't find the reference to it, but it was a few years ago. The restaurant was a family style one, the logo was nothing like Miky D's. and the owners name was McDonald. But he wasn't allowed to name his restaurant after himself because of the franchise with that name.

biggrinbounce.gifDS 10/09  sleepytime.gifDS 2/17/11 stork-suprise.gif Blessing #3 sometime 2/13

#4 of 7 Old 05-30-2010, 04:02 AM

Quote:
also, what about simplicity patterns, can you modify them then sell or no?
i want to know about this, too. on someone's blog or whatever, and also on individual peoples patterns, you see that statement "for personal use only." but i just got 2 books of patterns and i do not see this statement anywhere. or like say a quilt pattern that was published in a magazine...i mean, i guess it isn't that you can't follow any pattern to make something for sale, right? or if you design something yourself using various pattern pieces, like if i use the bodice pattern in that book and a sleeve i made up or got from say a simplicity pattern or whatever. is that or is it not ok? is it okay to follow a commercial pattern for something and then sell it if the pattern does not say anything about "personal use only?" i mean, not selling it as "My design," you know, but just selling the dress. i think it is probably ok but hope someone will answer....

Mama to 3 boys 

#5 of 7 Old 06-02-2010, 01:53 PM

The key is "inspired by"

For example the designers at Target watch the Paris runway and are "inspired" to make new fashions. If they went into the Paris workroom and stole the pattern, it would be a big problem. (duh!) But "inspired by" is ok, from what I have read.

Modifying the Simplicity pattern is still Simplicity's intellectual property. But re-drafting a fashion to be similar to a commercial design should be OK. There is lots of discussion of this at PatternReview or etsy forums.
#6 of 7 Old 06-03-2010, 11:05 AM

hi-- i just ordered a book for my library that looks like a good one for you to try to find.. it's called handmade marketplace, by kari chapin. i haven't seen it yet, but it has good reviews and sounds like it has lots of the info you're looking for. your public library probably has a copy. good luck!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#7 of 7 Old 06-06-2010, 11:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hildare View Post
hi-- i just ordered a book for my library that looks like a good one for you to try to find.. it's called handmade marketplace, by kari chapin. i haven't seen it yet, but it has good reviews and sounds like it has lots of the info you're looking for. your public library probably has a copy. good luck!

My library has it too! they are all checked out but I put out a hold. Thanks for the recommendation!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page