Boy's shirt pattern help - pioneer era - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-27-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is going to a week summer day camp in June or July. It has a Little House on the Prairie theme. I get the impression some of the kids (prolly the girls) dress up at camp, wearing bonnets, aprons and such.

I'd like to make my son something to wear and am styling it after the general farmer Little House "Pa" look. I've decided against suspenders - too hard to make or buy. I am on a budget of course LOL

He can wear his own shoes and pants. I have a vest pattern and would like to buy him a straw hat.

But the shirt... having problems with that. The style seems to be basic button down, long sleeved. White or off white cotton, or even gingham or plaid. The collar varies between V or that short upsight style. I am not the best sewer and need a pattern. It's always hard to find boy's patterns.

Goodwill seems to only have sweaters and t shirts. I think if I just buy a modern plaid shirt - it will look modern and not period at all. Of course it's not like men's clothing has changed much in 200 years LOL

Any suggestions? I'd like to check out Joann this weekend.

Rhianna
#2 of 2 Old 06-04-2010, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe this you could do either the cowboy or the pirate shirt.

Or this

Then there's this one (the boy's shirt for the 2nd half of the 18th century.)

That sounds like a fun camp!

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page