Making Diaper Inserts - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all---I am thinking about making my own inserts for the BumGenius Flip diapers. It seems like I could easily make the inserts for a lot less $$$$!

If I did two layers of microfiber terry with a layer of hemp fleece on the front and back, would that soak up enough? Would there be a better combo? I want something easy that may last through a few kids---it would start out being used on a 22 month old and then eventually I would make smaller ones for a newborn come November.

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#2 of 4 Old 05-31-2010, 12:27 AM

I want to do the same thing!

Any advice?

I've tried a few store bought inserts including the Flip organic cotton and bummi's cotton prefolds. The bummis work fine during the day and the flip cotton ones work well at night for our toddler (18 months old). I'm looking for more absorbancy for our 3 and 5 year olds who are still in diapers at night.

I sew, but I don't know exactly what to make...
#3 of 4 Old 06-01-2010, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

sbrinton---I'm starting to think I'll do two layers of microfiber terry with maybe a bamboo terry on the top/bottom. In looking at other diapers on the market, this seems to be a common combo---hoping to get some feedback though before I make the purchase!

Happy SAHM Mom and CBE to three jumpers.gifboys:  DS1 (11/06), DS2 (7/08), DS3 (11/10) and D?4 (12/12)!

#4 of 4 Old 06-09-2010, 07:24 PM

I just made my first insert two days ago. I used old receiving blankets, cut five layers of a relatively thick one (from the hospital) and stitched together the pieces, then sewed a thick border around it. It worked better than the original inserts and was super easy!

Kaiti, in heartbeat.gif with Shane, astrological mama to spitdrink.gif Sophie *12.27.05*, praying.gif Maya *09.25.07*, sleepytime.gif Phoenix *08.23.09* & 3rdtri.gif due *12.04.11*  Having a hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg lotbirth.gif after 3 cesareans!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page