painting/drawing fairies on bookshelf - Mothering Forums
Arts & Crafts > painting/drawing fairies on bookshelf
Adasmommy's Avatar Adasmommy 11:35 AM 06-09-2010
My daughter wants us to paint fairies on her bookshelf. I can't imagine using a paintbrush and having them come out well. It will be a light yellow bookshelf, and I'm wondering if there are some kind of markers that would draw well and permanently on a painted bookshelf.

Or is there some other way of doing fairies? Other medium ideas?

Usually we don't draw on the furniture so now I'm not sure how to go about it!

JamieCatheryn's Avatar JamieCatheryn 09:18 PM 06-09-2010
Glueing high quality print outs of fairies would be nice then adding a clear coat finish over it. I think that's decoupage. A blogger I read ( http://farmama.typepad.com ) did a few furniture pieces with copies of storybook illustrations glued on that looked great.
luv-my-boys's Avatar luv-my-boys 10:02 PM 06-09-2010
I would recommend a product called tatouage. They are like a dry rub transfer (you use a glorified popsicle stick to rub them on) They are hightly detailed and very easy to get on.

I have used them in several places in my home. They work best on a flat surface but I have used them on a slightly textured wall. I have used several designs over the yrs and have even painted over them when we changed the look of our playroom (paints over easily with primer) they are completely flat/flush so its not a raised surface. Most people who seen them in our home presume I painted them myself.

http://www.tatouagedesigns.com/Searc...Search=fairies
hildare's Avatar hildare 01:27 PM 06-10-2010
hm.. you could have her draw or collage fairies onto a sheet of posterboard and use moge poge (not sure how you spell it) to attach it to the shelf, i think a pp mentioned something similar.. it's a clear permanent coat that lots of people use for collage. You could have her trace fairy pictures or paint them, but if you did it on a piece of poster/paper, she could have lots of chances to get it "just right" before it was affixed.

eta: sorry, when i first read the post, i thought your daughter wanted to do the painting and that's why my reply is worded that way. not a bad idea, though..

and JamieCatheryn, that's an awesome blog, and you suggested the decopage idea first, anyway.. thanks for sharing the blog
Up