Longies Knitting Club: Part 2 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 132 Old 03-29-2004, 11:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The yarn over gives you a little "hole" for your waist tie to go through. It's used often for lace patterns, stuff like that. It also ensures you will not lose any stitches in the waist while you do this (like you would if you did k2tog the whole row). You'd end up with 1/2 the waist size. Kwim?

So yes, you k2tog, yo the entire row until you come to your beginning marker again. When you yarn over you end up going around the entire needle when you go to do the next k2tog again.

HTH!!! You are doing great!

Angela: Mum to 3 & wife to the man in the funny suit.

#62 of 132 Old 03-29-2004, 12:20 PM

Thank you Aurora!!! Using what you said I was able to go on, yippee! I don't think I did the grafting right because picking up a stitch from the crotch was really hard and now there is a little hole between the crotch and the leg but I don't care, I will just sew it shut, lol. I have now accepted that my first pair will be a bit wonky but I have great plans for my next pair to be much better. It has been so much fun and I think it will be more fun when it doesn't feel like I am performing brain surgery for the first time, .

One thing that would be helpful is if the pattern included how many stitches you should have after each change, KWIM? When I got to the leg parts I had way less stitches than I should have on each leg and I had to increase, so who knows what that will look like, lol.

I should be done today or tomorrow because I am making these into shorts...

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#63 of 132 Old 03-29-2004, 05:21 PM

I agree with Sheena - I think it would be VERY helpful if the pattern included how many stitches you should have as you move along. I know I am constantly counting and it would help you to know you were on track. (I think I will suggest it to Theresa!)

Emma
#64 of 132 Old 03-31-2004, 12:28 AM

Okay, I'm done with the ribbing although I screwed up the row after the k2tog row and so the bottom part isn't as pretty as the top. Oh well, now I have to switch needles and yarn. I think I can figure out the yarn part but how do I switch needles? My MIL is here and she knows how to knit - she said to just knit onto the new needles (??) . Or can I pull out the old needles and thread the new ones in? I'm scared I'll lose stitches that way though.
#65 of 132 Old 03-31-2004, 12:36 AM

Well, my longies have turned to crapola. No matter what I do the legs are too small. Way too small around, her fat little thigh will never squeeze in.

As much as I love my green wool I am going to start over tomorrow with some hand dyed yarn from Holy Sheep and chalk the green pair up to learning. Have I said already???

#66 of 132 Old 03-31-2004, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheena
One thing that would be helpful is if the pattern included how many stitches you should have after each change, KWIM? When I got to the leg parts I had way less stitches than I should have on each leg and I had to increase, so who knows what that will look like, lol.
Doesn't it say? The only confusing part would be on the crotch shaping, but you can subtract 4 sts each time and that should give you the right #. I can't find my pattern at the moment...
#67 of 132 Old 03-31-2004, 12:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Sheena
Well, my longies have turned to crapola. No matter what I do the legs are too small. Way too small around, her fat little thigh will never squeeze in.

As much as I love my green wool I am going to start over tomorrow with some hand dyed yarn from Holy Sheep and chalk the green pair up to learning. Have I said already???
Oh no Amy!!! That is terrible. I would rip them out and reuse the yarn for another pr or something else though.

I'm sorry
#68 of 132 Old 03-31-2004, 02:55 AM

Just knit onto the new needles- it is easy. I didn't quite get it the first time- just have faith and start knitttng with the other circular and voila! it will be on the new needle when you get to the end!

Quote:
Originally posted by thechrysalis
but how do I switch needles? My MIL is here and she knows how to knit - she said to just knit onto the new needles (??) . Or can I pull out the old needles and thread the new ones in? I'm scared I'll lose stitches that way though.

Being right is not always fair, but being fair is always right
#69 of 132 Old 03-31-2004, 01:15 PM

OK, I sat with it all night and I now accept I am going to have to pull out my first pair. I am going to try to salvage the yarn because it is sooo pretty and soft. I will also take a picture so you can see how far I got before disaster struck, lol.

So, I got this GORGEOUS yarn from Holy Sheep and last night I go to wind it from the hank. Well, I went on to create what has to be the biggest knot of pretty yarn in the world. Huge jumbled tangled mess. Dh and I worked on it for an hour last night and I worked on it again this morning, I have it about half untangled. I have no idea how I did it but I hope I never ever do it again!

#70 of 132 Old 03-31-2004, 03:05 PM

nak
Amy - i did that with my first thing of yarn too! It took dh and i two nights (and several hours) to get it undone and even then i had to make two balls and cut it in the middle. I feel for you!
#71 of 132 Old 03-31-2004, 03:14 PM

Quote:
nak
Amy - i did that with my first thing of yarn too! It took dh and i two nights (and several hours) to get it undone and even then i had to make two balls and cut it in the middle. I feel for you!
OMG, there have been times I have almost cried, seriously!

OK, so here they are:

The Longies that almost were

Here you can see my row of twisted stitches

The Back... almost looks OK

Please note that I have included my wad of Holy Sheep wool in the first pic for your enjoyment.

#72 of 132 Old 03-31-2004, 05:22 PM

Hi ~ I'm a *very* infrequent MDC poster but a very frequent reader/lurker. I finished 2 LTK soakers this week and bought the LTK longies pattern a couple of days ago -- just about ready to start so I thought I'd join in here if no one minds.

Oh and by the way, my little intro ~ I'm Heather, mama to 2 daughters (2½ & 16 months) and married for almost 4 years to my love. I just learned how to knit about a month ago and have finished 4 projects: 2 LTK apron tops for my girls and the 2 LTK soakers for Addah (younger dd).

Hope you all don't mind me jumping in this late in the longies club.

Heather
Mama to two tween girls and a stillborn baby girl (7/1/12)... and now expecting baby #4 in April 2014.

Writer at The Destiny Manifest: http://www.thedestinymanifest.com

#73 of 132 Old 03-31-2004, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter

Amy, I am glad you are going to reuse that yarn. It is much too pretty to just sit in the cupboard! That Holy Sheep yarn is beautiful! What color is it? I was drooling over the "medium grapes" for a long time, but they don't have any more right now... I hope they dye some more soon.

I ripped out a pr of longies too. I was making a small pr for a friend of mine who just had a baby girl. I was doing them in white wool so they would be like tights. Well, I messed up the short rows something awful but just kept going and when I started the first leg I decided that I didn't want to give them away looking like that and I decided that my friend wasn't that good of a friend anyway. :LOL I dyed the yarn blue and made a hat and mittens for Bret out of it.
#74 of 132 Old 03-31-2004, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Heather! Please do jump in! Those apron tops are so so cute. I wish I had girls to make some for... *sigh*
#75 of 132 Old 04-06-2004, 01:58 PM

Hey mamas! Welcome Heather!

I am still working on the first leg. *sigh*

How is it going for all of you?

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#76 of 132 Old 04-06-2004, 02:05 PM

Bad bad bad. So bad. I am taking a short break or I will lose it. I just pulled out again after I thought I was doing so great. They looked great, the ribbing was perfect... and then somehow I dropped 2 purl stitches and it created a HUGE hole. When I tried to pick them up it just wouldn't work because of the wrap so I had to pull out again. Sigh. I wonder if I will ever get better, I have been at this for a while now.

#77 of 132 Old 04-06-2004, 05:55 PM

Ohh, you guys are making me want to cry with all the ripping Is there anything I can do to help clear things up, or explain better? Please don't hesitate to ask me anything!!!
#78 of 132 Old 04-06-2004, 06:06 PM

LOL! It's not you, sadly, it's me. I just make these dumb mistakes and I don't understand enough about the mechanics of knitting to fix them. Even if someone tries to explain it I don't get it. Sigh.

#79 of 132 Old 04-06-2004, 09:16 PM

Mine are coming along, very slowly though. When do you guys knit? I can get in about an hour in the evening (like right now) after my toddler goes to bed and my dh is taking care of the baby. My hands cramp up though. My MIL was here visiting and she showed me how she lets the yarn run off her finger so she doesn't have to actually move her whole hand to wrap the yarn around the needle but I just can't get it.

Anyhow, I realized that I have a big hole between the ribbing and the body of the longies and thought it was in the back -= but no, it's right smack dab in the front of them! Ugh. I did the short rows okay, they look really crappy on one side but good on the other so I'm not sure what I did. I lost count of my stitches and couldn't figure out where I was supposed to pick up the wrapped yarn, I think that is what happened. Now I am just knitting away trying to get down to the legs.
#80 of 132 Old 04-07-2004, 01:29 AM

I finished a pair of newborn soaker shorts (from the longies pattern) yesterday - they're for my stepsister's baby (due in May).

Started a pair of medium longies tonight ~ one more row & I'll be done with the ribbing.

Heather
Mama to two tween girls and a stillborn baby girl (7/1/12)... and now expecting baby #4 in April 2014.

#81 of 132 Old 04-07-2004, 01:33 AM

Quote:
When do you guys knit?
Any chance I get, off & on all day (and night). I knit while my girls eat breakfast, while sitting on the floor reading to them, in the car (I don't have a license so any time we're in the car, I knit), while watching movies with dh a couple times a week & late at night when/if I finish with my WAH business sewing.

Did I mention that I hardly ever sleep? :LOL

Heather

#82 of 132 Old 04-07-2004, 02:20 AM

I get about 30 minutes a day, during the evenings. Not nearly enough time. Why oh why did I not do it when I was pregnant???

#83 of 132 Old 04-07-2004, 09:32 AM

I knit whenever I can - seems to be when we go on roadtrips (once a month) and when both babes are sleeping at the same time (so not that often!).... to boot, I am also incredibly slow. I do love knitting though. One of the things I love about it is that it is so meditative - I find that it relaxes me. At the same time it is an art form. I don't know if you have read

Stitch and Bitch - one of the sections in the book that I really connected with is when she writes about knitting's long history. Knitting really agrees with me, the me that is a 'postmodern, feminist, academic, stay-at-home-mum who has no craft or home-making skills.
#84 of 132 Old 04-08-2004, 04:46 PM

It is probably a bit late to be asking this but has anyone made a medium pair with LTK yarn and if so, how many skeins did it take? I am to the crotch area and quickly running out of yarn I kept meaning to ask Theresa how many skeins I would need but forgot. If I have enough for shorts, I might just do that.
#85 of 132 Old 04-08-2004, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
It is probably a bit late to be asking this but has anyone made a medium pair with LTK yarn and if so, how many skeins did it take? I am to the crotch area and quickly running out of yarn I kept meaning to ask Theresa how many skeins I would need but forgot. If I have enough for shorts, I might just do that.
I haven't made a med, but my large pr def took 2 skeins. How much do you have left?
#86 of 132 Old 04-08-2004, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter

I keep forgetting to mention that I got my F&F pattern. This thing is AWESOME! I love it... and I really like that you can use any yarn or needles for any size person. I told dh that I would make him a pr too... just kidding on that, lol.

Anyway, I am working on a pr for my 4 yo and it's coming along pretty well. I'm almost to the legs, but I will have to go get some dpn's of the right size since I don't have any in the right size.

Oh, almost forgot that there are no short rows in this pattern, though if you wanted them you could easily add them in.
#87 of 132 Old 04-08-2004, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by pb_and_j
I haven't made a med, but my large pr def took 2 skeins. How much do you have left?
ACK! I have a ball the size of a small fist. I guess I will be ordering myself some more yarn!
#88 of 132 Old 04-09-2004, 11:04 AM

Quote:
I am making a pair of med. size Longies right now. I have about 4 inches to go on the first leg and I am afraid I will run out too. I always think I won't have enough yarn though. :LOL Let us know if you talk to Theresa!

teapot2.GIF jog.gif

#89 of 132 Old 04-10-2004, 09:27 PM

More questions! I'm trying to do the kitchener stitch. On the instructions it says that the front needle will be the "knit needle" and the back the "purl needle" but then the Set Up part says to insert needle as if to purl the first stitch on the front needle. : That contradicts the above instructions.

Then there is a section immediately after that says
**Insert yarn needle as if to knit...etc

I'm confused. What is the "Set Up" part? Do I skip that and go straight to the ** section?? Also, the ** section says to remove the stitch from the circular needle. Does she mean remove from the stitch holder?

I'm sure I sound completely stupid here but I have a really hard time following written instructions without someone actually showing me. TIA!!
#90 of 132 Old 04-10-2004, 09:37 PM

Okay, I found a video online and *think* I understand. I'm going to try it after I get my toddler to bed. Wish me luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page