Cute beginner project to give as a gift? (POST #6: UPDATE W/ PIC & QUESTION) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Two of my aunts have birthdays coming up, and I thought it'd be nice to sew them their gifts. I'm a beginner though -- I've just made a pillowcase dress and burp cloths so far.

Any ideas for cute beginner projects I could give them as gifts? (One is in her 50s, the other is in her 70s if that makes a difference, but they're both really hip and just awesome in general. )

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 07-21-2010, 11:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
simple bags are really easy. or smaller projects like eyeglass cases are even easier. one of the first easy gifts i made was for my mom; it's called a pareau. All it is is a big piece of fabric hemmed on all sides, which can be used as a blanket or shawl or skirt or whatever. I made a little stuff sack for it and my mom keeps it in their car to use on trips. I made it years ago and she frequently mentions how much she has enjoyed it- she's a big car napper (my dad drives).
key fobs are another super easy gift idea.
Also, throw pillows are easy to make. imo, so is a lap quilt, if you do simple "in the ditch" quilting.

not sewing, but simple earrings or beaded bracelets are easy, inexpensive, and super quick to make up.

Good luck!

Mama to 3 boys 

#3 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 11:08 AM

Another vote for bags of some kind. Purses or re-usable shopping bags. Or there's this wallet tutorial I've been meaning to make. Looks simple enough.

There's this messenger bag. I've made 6 of these for gifts and loved them. You don't have to applique if you use cool fabric. But if you want to give it a try (and you really should at some point because it's easy and looks impressive) here's a tute for that too.

Kristy, wife to Josh proud mama to Katie: since 3/08 and Emma since 8/12.

#4 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Awesome ideas! I'll make some stuff for them and also get started on some Christmas projects with these ideas -- thank you so much!

#5 of 13 Old 07-22-2010, 01:11 PM

#6 of 13 Old 07-29-2010, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for the suggestions! I made an eyeglass case today and it came out really cute. (Pardon the photo quality, I took it with my phone.)

Also, since taking that photo I topstitched around the opening to make it look more finished, and I have some questions about that. Since the opening is so narrow, it wouldn't fit over my machine, even with the free arm. So I had to topstitch from the inside out, kind of like in this photo but for topstitching. Is it okay to do that? I always thought you were supposed to topstitch on the "right" side, but the way I had to do it, it's the underside of the stitches that show -- does that matter? It looks fine, but I just wonder if there's an easier way to do it since I'm going to be making 6 more of these over the next few days -- I'd appreciate any help!

#7 of 13 Old 08-01-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone have an answer to my topstitching question?

#8 of 13 Old 08-01-2010, 09:13 PM

very cute! love the fabrics!

I think it is fine the way you topstiched it. whatever works, right? as long as it looks good when you are done!

Blissful Mama to DD-(5), DS-(6) and someone new due in November!
#9 of 13 Old 08-03-2010, 11:28 AM

I love the eyeglass case. Did you use any particular pattern? I'd love to make something similar for my mom's new sunglasses but like you I am a beginner sewer and could use all the guidance I can get.

Thanks, Patti
#10 of 13 Old 08-03-2010, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangalca View Post
I love the eyeglass case. Did you use any particular pattern? I'd love to make something similar for my mom's new sunglasses but like you I am a beginner sewer and could use all the guidance I can get.

Thanks, Patti
Hi, and thank you!

I used a combination of these two tutorials:

First
Second

The first is where I got my color inspiration and the idea for making the contrasting band around the top.

The second is the one I used for the actual construction technique (but I did the quilting like in the first link), except I topstitched around the opening at the end, so mine aren't reversible (I didn't think it look finished enough the reversible way).

ETA: I made one for myself too, but am using it as a cell phone cozy instead of an eyeglass case.

#11 of 13 Old 08-03-2010, 10:28 PM

FWIW, you can topstitch inside out or right side out in the same manner as shown in the above pic. Ignore the free-arm and just keep the item in the correct position by going slowly. It generally looks best to topstitch on the right side of the fabric.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#12 of 13 Old 08-04-2010, 03:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnysandiegan View Post
FWIW, you can topstitch inside out or right side out in the same manner as shown in the above pic. Ignore the free-arm and just keep the item in the correct position by going slowly. It generally looks best to topstitch on the right side of the fabric.

I knew there was a better way to do it -- thank you!

#13 of 13 Old 09-16-2010, 05:56 PM

Thanks for the tutorials! Your case looks great.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page