sewing machine - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 03:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I used to have a sewing machine and sold it. I would like to buy a new one. Any suggestions? I will likely make basic curtains, pillows, etc. I would also like to start quilting.

Overstock has a bunch. Do any look like good deal?
#2 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 09:01 AM

I have the first Brother sewing machine, and it has done evrything I have wanted it to do.
I don't even have the book, and did not know it could do more...
I have sewed since I was little, and I am now 32.
This brother is effective with what you want to do.
I use it all the time to sew all the things you have mentioned.
I think at WalMart it costs a little more, so this is a good deal.
Unless you intend on doing upholstery or thicker fabrics,
or using this machine for a living, then this is the one!

I'll vouch.
Happy Sewing!
#3 of 7 Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 PM

If you're interested in a vintage machine, I could make a couple of suggestions. They'll be more difficult to find, but they are fixable (usually by the owner) and will last indefinitely if taken care of. And you'll avoid purchasing a big hunk of plastic with a limited lifespan.
#4 of 7 Old 07-22-2010, 02:15 PM

Before you buy online or from a discount store, do your research at local dealers. Take fabric with you and personally sew on the machines. Then ask yourself the following questions: can I learn the machine on my own?, what happens if it breaks or needs servicing?, who will answer my questions?. Buying from a dealer can mean spending more money for a machine up front but you can't put a price on the after sale service.

That been said, I bought my last 2 machines from Sears. I knew what I wanted and knew that I only needed the owner's manual to learn how to operate the machines. And getting it serviced is no problem. I do my own maintenance. I've also been sewing for over 40 years. The last 30, professionally.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#5 of 7 Old 07-22-2010, 04:09 PM

Don't buy a Brother sewing machine from Wal-Mart! I have had TERRIBLE luck with Brother; I think they are very poorly designed and mine gave me nothing but frustrations. When I finally got a Janome, I found out that sewing can be fun. I saw several great deals on Janome machines on that overstock link.
The most amazing deal looked like that model no. 11542 with 42 stitch functions for only $69. And there is one with 58 stitches for like $20 more. I would go with one of those. That Hello Kitty sewing machine (the green one) is actually really nice, too (I have used one) and not only for kids. It is a smaller size, so nice for taking to classes or travelling, but it only has 10 stitch functions.
I think that as long as you buy a Janome, you will be pleased. I would recommend getting a mechanical (not electronic or computerized) Janome machine. I have one of their electronic computerized models, and I do love it, but I wouldn't have bought it if I didn't have a mechanical machine as a back up.
BTW, the "Kenmore" machines sold at Sears are made by Janome. When I bought my new machine a few months back, they were having amazing deals even better than what I could find on Overstock, but I am not sure if that is still the case.
Get a Janome. Good luck and happy sewing!

Mama to 3 boys 

#6 of 7 Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies.

Where was the deal on the Janome?

I may lean toward the vintage machine since I am trying to avoid plastic as much as possible. I see tons on CL. What should I look for in one? Will they be as easy to sew with? I used to gave a singer (I think) and I could get by fine.
#7 of 7 Old 07-24-2010, 05:08 PM

Old Singers are great; I have heard about problems with new ones.

FWIW, a while ago, overstock had some great deals on all metal janomes, several even well under $100 with the one step buttonholer and many stitch functions. i was really tempted by those, lol, but the plastic housed deluxe mechanical janome mom bought me 5+ years ago works really just fine (and has been used ALOT). I did not see any all metal models there when i checked your link earlier, but i bet they may have those again later.

B/C you asked, the Kenmore/ Janome machine I bought was $249 (or maybe 299, can't remember for sure) and has like 200+ stitches including a lot of embroidery stitches, but as I said, I would not have bought that one if I did not have a mechanical machine as a back up.

Mama to 3 boys 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page