Microfleece vs. microfiber? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 07-27-2010, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
More newbie questions about these two fabrics! What is the difference between them? Does microfleece act as a material to keep baby's skin feeling dry and microfiber absorbs the moisture?

It is worth buying the microfiber towels instead of buying it by the yard at the fabric store?

Is there another natural material that would be a good or better filler instead of microfiber?

TIA!

chicken3.gif

#2 of 5 Old 07-28-2010, 03:12 PM

I love microfleece for the inner diaper layers. It does a beautiful job of wicking the moisture away, so my baby's bottom always seems dry. Some people are concerned because it's a synthetic. Both of my kiddos have super sensitive skin, but have never had a problem with the material next to their skin. I've never used microfiber in diapers, but would think it would work as a good filler for soaker pads. If you buy the towels, I would make sure they're not treated with anything that would be a potential irritant. Good luck in your diaper making!

hbac.gifknit.gifsewmachine.gif

SAHM to DD1 12/07, DD2 11/09, and expecting 04/11!
#3 of 5 Old 07-29-2010, 12:44 AM

Microfleece goes next to the baby's skin. It does help keep the skin "drier" by letting the moisture wick to the absorbent part of the diaper. I use suedecloth (Alova, from JoAnn fabrics) to do this b/c it's thinner and I like it better.

Microfiber is for absorbency. If you want one-piece inserts you can sew them from microfiber yardage. I use the $5/12 microfiber towels I got at Family Dollar. I fold them in thirds. These dry much faster than do the one-piece inserts, but do require folding before putting in the diaper. Some babies are sensitive to this next to their skin, but I've never had an issue and sometimes use them as lay-in soakers.

Jacki, old-fashioned, crunchy mama to five, grandmother to one.
#4 of 5 Old 08-20-2010, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artzy_fartzy68 View Post
Microfiber is for absorbency. If you want one-piece inserts you can sew them from microfiber yardage. I use the $5/12 microfiber towels I got at Family Dollar. I fold them in thirds. These dry much faster than do the one-piece inserts, but do require folding before putting in the diaper. Some babies are sensitive to this next to their skin, but I've never had an issue and sometimes use them as lay-in soakers.
Do you find microfiber is as absorbant as hemp? Also, are you using these as the double that actually goes inside the pocket? (I'm new to CD, so this will help me understand a better ofption than the cotton liners I've got now. They stink ... literally!!!! and they don't absorb very well.) Thanks!

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

#5 of 5 Old 08-29-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penny4Them View Post
Do you find microfiber is as absorbent as hemp? Also, are you using these as the double that actually goes inside the pocket? (I'm new to CD, so this will help me understand a better ofption than the cotton liners I've got now. They stink ... literally!!!! and they don't absorb very well.) Thanks!
I think per volume of fabric, microfiber is a bit more absorbent (yes, I use them as pocket diaper inserts). However, they do get stinky, just as hemp will over time. Cotton, IME is the LEAST stinky! If the cotton soakers/inserts have a layer of something *not cotton* sandwiched between the cotton, that can add to their stink capacity.

The GOOD thing about microfiber is that you can separate them from the diapers themselves for a good soaking in vinegar (if the stink is from water deposits) or in a bit of bleach (if the stink is from bacteria) because the material is indestructible. The indestructibility is also the BAD thing about it. b/c I'm sure it would sit a good while in a landfill before breaking down (like pul and other synthetic fabrics).

so..hemp...harder to get rid of stink, better for the environment, pretty absorbent

microfiber..easier to get rid of stink, altho more prone to stink, not as great as hemp for the environment, but better than a disposable (think reusable
plastic plate vs. paper toss-away)

So, there's my two-cents (if it's worth that!)

Jacki, old-fashioned, crunchy mama to five, grandmother to one.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page