making fitteds from prefolds - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-27-2010, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Have any of you done this? With DD we used prefolds and covers exclusively. She went to child care part time at 6 months and full-time at about a year and our child care provider was totally cool with using them.

This baby will have to go to child care sooner- part time at 3-4 months and full-time at 6-7 months and we have a new child care provider (1st lady moved away last summer )and she's not so keen on cloth diapers. DD still wears one at nap and we've compromised by providing g-diapers for that one diaper a day but I don't want to compromise with the bitty new baby. I'm thinking that fitteds and covers might be easier for her to use. What do you think? Since I have a ton of prefolds I'm thinking of sewing some into fitteds. Do any of you know of a good/easy online pattern?

I know that all in ones would be the easiest for child care but I really don't want to spend the money on diapers that I don't really need, since I have a huge stash of nice prefolds and covers already.

Casey - Mama to my little lovey girl 6-2-07 and my littler lovey girl 11-16-10!
#2 of 12 Old 07-27-2010, 11:50 PM

I found a pattern over in the CD forum, there is a list of links in one of the stickied threads.

Laura mummy to my two sweet little girls (April 08) and (Nov 10)
#3 of 12 Old 08-25-2010, 09:47 AM

You can also check out the "Clotheez Workhorse Diaper" on greenmountiandiapers.com for inspiration. I was thinking of ordering one of these to kind of use as a guideline pattern to make my own.

Mama to 2: 2twins.gif 12/7 and 9/10
#4 of 12 Old 09-12-2010, 09:35 AM

Gee, I tried making a fitted out of a prefold and it didn't work at all... the cloth is too thick and the elastic didn't really pull enough at the legs. In the end I made pocket diapers out of 2 layers of flannel and used the prefolds to stuff them. If you're interested I'll try and look up where I found the pattern.

Just my 2 cents about DC though.... I would probably either look for a DC provider that was willing to give cloth a try, or just send your DD in a CD in the morning, with a choice of cloth and disposables ready for the next change, so your DC provider can choose whether she's up for the cloth or not on that particular day. If she is not keen on using CD then you might be wasting your money buying expensive ones. If she gives the prefolds a try and doesn't like them for whatever reason, fair enough, but if she won't even give them a try I would not assume she would use an all-in-one system either.

My DC provider was happy to use cloth but only changed every 4 hours... which I was not happy with at all. Rather than argue with her about it (not that I can control what she does when I'm not there, anyway) or treat lots of diaper rash I just started sending disposables.
#5 of 12 Old 09-12-2010, 11:37 PM

I made a entire stash of "prefitteds" for my ds. It works best if you have a serger, imo, because it's a little hard to t&t and prefold. Have you seen Tinkle Traps?? You can send them your pf's and they'll sew 'em up for ya. I didn't have any problems with the elastic being taunt enough with mine. If you sew them yourself you really need a serger, though, because doing a tight zigzag around the edges doesn't work very good with diaper guaze....it still frays

I loved my prefitteds! They're resourceful, quick to make, easy to add absorbancy to, best material to snappi, adjustable hip/rise, and many other reasons!! I think the instructions offered by the sticki is pretty good.

Married to dh since July '04, SAHM to ds 2/13/09,Standing on the promises of Godhale, cd addict
#6 of 12 Old 11-11-2010, 12:56 PM

okay, i was thinking of trying this, only adding a layer of flannel with colors/pattern on the outside of the diaper, i don't have a serger and was thinking of trying sew the pieces and fold them inside to prevent the fraying. FWIW, I am not an excellent sewer, but prefitteds are way expensive and I have old prefold diapers from ds to experiment with, I am really wanting to make them for the newborn/infant stage. I have one didee snug prefitted I can use as a reference size and I was also thinking about getting a few covers to help guide me in the sizing. This is an upcoming project as the new baby isn't due until april, but i am just doing some research now!

supermod.gif semi crunchy single student super mama to DS 7wave.gif and DD 3shy.gif. Falling in stillheart.gif with single super dad superhero.gif to DD5kissy.gif and DD2energy.gif 
#7 of 12 Old 11-13-2010, 12:42 PM

I have used the link that was stickied as well.  They worked just fine for me while I was using regular covers.  I sewed a straight seam and then zigzaged around them and while they frayed a titch- it was managable.  I quit using them though because I switched to wool longies and shorties and they are just not absorbant enough for that. 

Iowaorganic- mama to DD (1/5/06), DS1 (4/9/07), DS2 (1/22/09), DS3 (12/10/10), DD2 (7/6/12) and a new kid due in early 2014

#8 of 12 Old 11-13-2010, 12:54 PM

I used this tutorial and it worked perfectly http://cloth-crazy.blogspot.com/2009/04/prefold-to-fitted.html  With this one, there is no waste of any part of the diaper.  They will be quite thick & take longer to dry.  I made 12, dyed them different colors, and had snaps put on them.  They look (& work) great!

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#9 of 12 Old 05-26-2011, 07:08 PM

If you google "Rita's Rump Pocket" you should find it. It's a two layer pocket to convert a prefold without doing anything to it. I've made at least a dozen of these and they have been great. I will say next time I would make sure to prewash my cloth (Flannel). Also I might add some rise to it as it's a bit of a bikini fit on my 22 month toddler and he needs two pins not one to close (although a baby snappy works well).

joy.gif my two wonderful boys born Aug 2009 and Sept 2011. winner.jpg

#10 of 12 Old 08-18-2011, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogretro View Post

I used this tutorial and it worked perfectly http://cloth-crazy.blogspot.com/2009/04/prefold-to-fitted.html  With this one, there is no waste of any part of the diaper.  They will be quite thick & take longer to dry.  I made 12, dyed them different colors, and had snaps put on them.  They look (& work) great!

This is Awesome ;)

#11 of 12 Old 08-18-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:

Cant wait to try this!

#12 of 12 Old 04-04-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:

I was just coming to post about this! I have been using her instructions to convert some of my prefolds to fitteds. I needed a better system than what I was doing before and was feeling really torn about buying new diapers when I had so many prefolds. So, I started with my smaller gauze prefolds and made one to try out, loved it and am in the process of converting more for of a total of about 20. Some of them are the cheapy Gerber ones you can buy in stores (for size reference) and I ended up measuring how much I shortened my elastic by when I stretched it for the legs to be sure the diapers are all the same. I am shortening the elastic by two inches and they are fitting my 6wk baby great with plenty of room for her to grow. I plan to make more out of my larger prefolds before she reaches 9 months. I have found that it takes no longer to dry the one I have finished than the rest of my prefolds, and because of the way it's folded in, I think it would be really easy to put extra padding in the center if you felt you needed it. I have several inserts, so I didn't feel the need to do this. I put aplix on mine and love it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page