Why did my sewing machine's needle BREAK off?! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How is that even possible? Literally the sharp part just broke right off...now what do i do? I was sewing felt with elastic under it...was i supposed to do something differently? I'm new at the whole sewing machine thing...

me, dh and 2 boys = our family (oh and a cat...who is also a male...lol)
#2 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 09:13 PM

The elastic was probably too tough for the needle. That has happened to me a few time when I was sewing thick material or elastic. You can out a new needle in and try going slower the next time.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#3 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4bob View Post
The elastic was probably too tough for the needle. That has happened to me a few time when I was sewing thick material or elastic. You can out a new needle in and try going slower the next time.
How do i change the needle?? EEK! I'm very intimidated by my sewing machine if you cannot tell!!! hehe

#4 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 09:29 PM

Lol! It's simple.. on my machine it is at least. Did yours come with a manual? It will tell you in there what to do exactly. On mine there is a little screw that I loosen that just holds the needle in place. I unscrew it, and the old needle comes right out, I put the new needle in and tighten the screw back. It is the kind of screw that you can tighten by hand. Does that make any sense? lol.

treehugger.gifAngie(25) Birth Doula and wife to Army man Bob(25), mommy to...dust.gifMeadow Shae(6),energy.gifLily Rain(4)homebirth.jpg, and joy.gif Sage Ashlyn(3). jog.gifAndrew Houston(9/3/11)

#5 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Your owner's manual will tell you how to change the needle. Generally, the needle is held in the bar with a screw. Look at how the broken needle is positioned before you unscrew it. Unscrew the broken needle, slide the new needle up into the hole, and rescrew. Needles break for several reason--you pulled the fabric behind the needle faster than the machine was feeding it or you hit something are the 2 most common. Check the owner's manual. It should have a trouble shooting section that will talk about needles breaking. Did you buy your machine from a dealer? Dealers usually have after sale services such as operating lessons that walk you through things like threading the machine, winding the bobbin, and changing the needle. If you don't have the manual to your machine, I urge you to contact your local dealer and order one. It has all kinds of information in it from identifying the parts of your machine, how to sew the various stitches, maintaining the machine (oiling and cleaning), change the needle and light bulb.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#6 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! I do have a manual. I also have a dvd...that i had to watch 9 times to figure out the whole bobbin and threading stuff

Oh and i bought it last year at Walmart so i'm not sure if people who work there would be able to help me or not?

I am slowly going to gain confidence and become an amazing seamstress

baby steps!

#7 of 12 Old 07-28-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollytheteacher View Post
Thanks! I do have a manual. I also have a dvd...that i had to watch 9 times to figure out the whole bobbin and threading stuff

Oh and i bought it last year at Walmart so i'm not sure if people who work there would be able to help me or not?

I am slowly going to gain confidence and become an amazing seamstress

baby steps!

Ya, I don't think that Wal-Mart employees will be much help!

You could also try looking on you tube to tutorials... it's worth a try at least! I learned how to knit from you tube! People post all kinds of things on there.. lol.

#8 of 12 Old 07-29-2010, 01:51 AM

i think it sounds like you were using too fine of a needle. I would use like a size 14 for sewing elastic. if you had like a 7 in there, it would easily break.

i tend to use heavier needles in general just to avoid needle breakage. i used to have that problem a lot more often until I finally understood to use heavier needles for heavier jobs. I just broke a heavy duty needle this week, though, so those can break just as easily, too. lol but i was trying to sew through an insane amount of thick layers.

Mama to 3 boys 

#9 of 12 Old 07-29-2010, 11:07 AM

that was your initiation!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it happens. i remember my first broken needle! i think you're supposed to make a cake

they do wear out. it's not hard at all to change, i think a pp had a good description.

congratulations!

Is it getting lonely in the echo chamber yet?

#10 of 12 Old 07-29-2010, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
No, Walmart employees aren't going to be able to help you. Youtube is a good place to start as well as the DVD that came with your machine. Set up your machine in front of the computer/TV and follow along on your machine. Also search for knowledgable people in your area to go to to learn and ask questions. Ask at your local fabric store, call dressmaking/alterations places, community colleges, even local sewing machine dealers and repair shops. Search out any and all sewing classes, even quilting classes will teach you skills you will use in other kinds of sewing. Get some good sewing books. Simplicity's Simply the Best Sewing Book, Reader's Digest has a good one (I forget the name of it), Singer Reference Library has a whole set of books on various sewing subjects. Check out your local library.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#11 of 12 Old 07-29-2010, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks gals! You ladies are nice and helpful...I was worried you'd all laugh at me! hahah. I didn't even realize there were/are different size needles for sewing machines. As you can tell i'm a newb. My mom never had one because she couldn't afford it so i never really got to sit around and watch someone use a sewing machine! My great grandmother; however, made all of her 3 daugther's clothing herself! I think that is amazing and hope to be able to make things for my kids to wear too!

#12 of 12 Old 07-29-2010, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Another reason I've had machine needles break is the thread got all stuck because something wasn't put through quite right someplace. Get the heavy duty ones that'll fit your machine. No biggie, just (curse for a moment,) replace it and move on - keep a few spare needles on hand just in case.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page