emotional project, help me decide - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-29-2010, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This might seem kinda weird to some people I don't know. My dd was hit by a car in January and she was almost killed. She has since regained almost everything, and is still on the road to recovery. I just found the box of the clothes that she was wearing that morning, they are cut down the middle as the paramedics had to cut them off of her. I would really like to make something really cool with them. It's a sweatshirt, t-shirt and jeans. I thought about something with patchwork, maybe a wall hanging of some kind. I would like to look at whatever I make and see something hopeful,and inspiring rather than all the pain, if that makes sense. I really like the way applique and free stitching looks, so I'm thinking of something along those lines. Can anyone suggest something, maybe a link, or a good craft blog I could get ideas. Thank you.

Eating is an agricultural act.  -Wendell Berry

#2 of 8 Old 07-31-2010, 12:59 PM

I like your vision and reasoning!

I don't have any suggestions for where to go with it, though. Just wanted to post and offer support....

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#3 of 8 Old 08-01-2010, 12:17 PM

Wow,what a great idea!and glad your daughter is in a place where you can turn those clothes into a happy thing!

For me I would come up with an image that symbolized her recovery,strength and future and just use the clothes to create that image.The first thing that popped into my head was a rising sun.I think I might make it a pillow because I think I would need to hug those clothes sometimes...but that's me.

#4 of 8 Old 08-01-2010, 12:34 PM

I think I would make a wall hanging. Use the jeans as the base of it, and cut the jeans and sweatshirt into the appliques. Maybe a word appliqued on the denim. Maybe a word appliqued on the denim, like strength or hope. Get lightweight fusible webbing (like heat bond light) and put it on the backside of the shirt fabrics. Cut the letters for the words out of the shirts, take the backing off the webbing, and iron them onto the denim. A simple zigzag will applique the letters to the denim.

I do like rere's idea of a pillow, too. You can do the same technique for a pillow as a wall hanging.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#5 of 8 Old 08-01-2010, 01:00 PM

If it were me, I would incorporate an outfit that she would wear today. Something that fits her now, and something that is whole. That way, I'd see the transition from torn and "broken" to mended/ing and healed.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#6 of 8 Old 08-01-2010, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, all really great ideas, thank you all. Now if I could get a few hours uninterrupted to do it. Thanks for not thinking it was weird idea

Eating is an agricultural act.  -Wendell Berry

#7 of 8 Old 08-01-2010, 10:09 PM

I would make a patchwork heart shaped pillow.

Mama to E (12/07) and M (01/11). homebirth.jpg
#8 of 8 Old 08-02-2010, 06:02 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I would have it framed and made into a 'shadow box' but thats just me.... with something totally inspiring written in the background.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page