Should I be cautious when re-purposing fabrics? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-03-2010, 01:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a TON of old fabrics in my basement and some are from curtains that I had to cut in half. I'm wanting to make picnic blankets (for kids) out of these but am thinking maybe they've been treated with fire retardant stuff.

Does laundering make a big difference in this? Is this anything others are concerned about? What about waterproof fabrics? I'm wanting to recycle the stuff local factories don't use anymore and make them into various things for kids too...

I want to use fabrics that have already been made and are destined for the dump, usually these don't come with fabric contents or info on how they are treated? Should I just got with untreated fabrics I buy from the store?
#2 of 7 Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 PM

Are the recipients your own children? If so, I would use what you have after washing and drying.

If the recipients are other people's children, then I would be prudent and use fabric that I know for sure is made of child-friendly materials.

"Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless." - Mother Teresa

#3 of 7 Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 PM

This isn't even something i would think about. But it depends on the original article. Curtains, tablecloths, sheets don't tend to be fire-resistant. In fact i can't think of any household fabric that would be.

Cristeen ~ Always remembering our stillheart.gif  warrior ~ Our rainbow1284.gif  is 3, how'd that happen?!?! 

We welcomed another rainbow1284.gifstillheart.gif  warrior in May 2012!! 

2012 Decluttering challenge - 575/2012

#4 of 7 Old 08-04-2010, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristeen View Post
This isn't even something i would think about. But it depends on the original article. Curtains, tablecloths, sheets don't tend to be fire-resistant. In fact i can't think of any household fabric that would be.
I know that baby's sleepwear is treated to be fire-resistant, most of it anyway. When buying fabric there's warnings about not using certain ones for sleepwear because they AREN'T fire resistant.

Maybe I'm overthinking things? Totally possible!
#5 of 7 Old 08-07-2010, 06:49 PM

Well then, you're good to go. I would wash them since you're going to potentially have food inside (e.g. an apple), but I think you're clear on the chemicals front.

If you're curious about the type of fabric, you can do a burn test.
#6 of 7 Old 08-08-2010, 01:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Well then, you're good to go. I would wash them since you're going to potentially have food inside (e.g. an apple), but I think you're clear on the chemicals front.

If you're curious about the type of fabric, you can do a burn test.
I can tell what kind of fabric it is...just not the types of treatments. Although you're right about the burn test for the fire-resistant stuff...
#7 of 7 Old 08-08-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan3 View Post
I can tell what kind of fabric it is...just not the types of treatments. Although you're right about the burn test for the fire-resistant stuff...
Ooo, good point, you check for fire retardant by using fire.

A quick Google earlier indicated that it washes off with soap (as opposed to conditioner).

If you're worried about other chemicals, then older fabrics are better than new since they've been out of the factory longer and have been washed more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page