How to make ribbon sticks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-06-2010, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I want to make ribbon sticks for my daughter, but I'm not sure the best way. Something like an eye screw thing on the end of a dowel, and then maybe a keychain ring thing on that, and tie the ribbon to the ring? Or is there a better way to get the ribbon to be able to move and swivel freely?

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#2 of 6 Old 08-06-2010, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I have these on my to make list too. The ones at our local library are made with fishing tackle bits. Not being a fishing person, I could never tell you the names of the bits, but the ribbons are tied on to the little metal thing that looks a bit like a safety pin but swivels. I can't exactly picture what is directly affixed to the stick, but it is made from the same bronze coloured metal as the other bit, so I assume they're from the same source. Anyway, that's probably not that helpful, but check out the fishing section of your hardware store. You might find something smaller than a keychain and eye hook in those little bins.

For greater things are yet to come...

#3 of 6 Old 08-07-2010, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you sooo much for the fishing tackle idea! We went to a fishing store today and got something similar to what you described. Here's what we did: Screwed an eye screw into the end of a dowel (I think they're called eye screws, or something like that) and then a thing like a key chain ring but little and really thin, and then a swivel something or other from the fishing store. Then I just tied the ribbon onto the swivel thing. I don't know if that makes any sense, but thanks and they came out awesome!

#4 of 6 Old 08-23-2010, 02:17 AM

That sounds wonderful....would you mind posting a picture of this....I would love to try and make one!

We may not have it all together, but together we have it all
#5 of 6 Old 08-23-2010, 02:26 AM

I've been looking for some instructions on this forever! I have bought the girls several sets of plastic ribbon twirlers from the $Tree... but they keep getting destroyed because they are so cheaply made. I would like to incorporate ribbon twirling into our daily exercise routines, but we need some good quality ribbon twirlers first.

I'd love to see a pic of one that someone has made!

I'm me. In love with this guy. We're bringing up two girls: Big A (8) and Little A (3)

#6 of 6 Old 09-03-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

I've just seen this, and took pictures of the ribbon sticks, but Photobucket is not working or something. How else can I get photos up on here?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page