Anyone Batik? I have a question. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-06-2010, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am just getting into batik, and have just ordered a bunch of supplies from Dharma. My question is can I use a ricecooker to melt the wax? I know that having a temp gauge is probably necessary (and the cheapie rice cookers do not have one). If not a rice cooker than what? Dharma recommends finding an old electric frying pan, but I have been unsucessful at this...and a frying pan is simply too large for the space I have.

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 08-08-2010, 03:34 PM

I use a slow-cooker for short amounts of time. I found one of those little ones used for dips and it works okay. I usually heat the wax to melting, then turn off the cooker as it doesn't have a "warm" setting. If the wax starts to cool, I just turn the heat on again for a short time.

I've never tried a rice cooker, but you've made me think about it. I'd like to know how it works out if you try it.
#3 of 5 Old 08-08-2010, 04:10 PM

Someone had posted this elsewhere, and while it is not batik with wax, thought you might want to tuck the idea away:
http://thatartistwoman.blogspot.com/...dly-batik.html

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#4 of 5 Old 08-21-2010, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

So I tried the rice cooker to melt the wax and it works great! You put it onto the cook setting and once all the wax is melted it automatically goes to warm, which keeps the wax at a nice working temp. Whats more is the wax can just be stored in the cooker with the lid on, and it has a pretty small footprint.

I made my first batik shirt (onesie actually) freehand, and now I am experimenting with stencils. Not one to start small I'm trying some celtic knot stencils. After seeing some of the results I think I am going to just do stars and planets for awhile. The knotwork stuff is really hard. I'll post a pic once I finish a shirt. Right now I've only got the first color dyed.

But the first project turned out great, and I feel like I am well on my way to dressing my babe in style. Thanks for all the advice folks!
#5 of 5 Old 08-29-2010, 10:38 PM

That is a great shirt!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page