My little project today: DD's old underwear -> new family cloth - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-08-2010, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't ever post in this subforum because I'm about as crafty as a slug. But I just thought I'd share my little project for today.

DD, a little peanut, finally outgrew her size 2-3T underwear (we weren't paying attention; eventually she started complaining about constant wedgies, lol). DH bought her a new set in her size and asked me what we should do with her old underwear. I figured we had to throw it away since people don't exactly pass on used underwear.

Then I had the idea to make some more family cloth from it. I use family cloth for #1 and DD uses it for #2 but refuses to use it for #1. But when I mentioned making cloth from her old Dora and Tinkerbell underwear, she was sold on using it for #1 too.

I just cut out the butt side of the underwear, and backed it with flannel I already had around. There's a double layer of flannel and then the underwear pattern over it. It's cute and DD loves it. There's a few pieces that are actually quite nice, including a large close-up of Tinkerbell.

DD and I also had a good talk while I was cutting about reusing things and such. She (obviously, since she has the underwear) likes Dora and there's an episode called Dora Saves the Mermaid Kingdom which irritates the heck out of me. In it, a mean octopus dumps garbage over the mermaid kingdom, and Dora has to help. I don't get how the producers had the nerve to make it so backwards. It's people who dump garbage all over the octopus kingdom, and we don't say "sorry, we'll stop it" at the end, either. And we sure don't clean it up. Well, at least today we reduced our trash a little bit on two points: a little less underwear in the trash (obviously, there's still scraps) and less toilet paper now too (though it's the production of the TP that worries me a lot more than its disposal).

Homeschooling mama to 6 year old DD.

#2 of 3 Old 08-21-2010, 02:32 PM

What a nice way to teach your DD about reducing, reusing and recycling! That was a great idea to make a connection to Dora, too.
#3 of 3 Old 09-07-2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks for posting this!!

Just yesterday I was literally sitting there thinking what on earth should I do with DS's barely used outgrown underwear and then thinking, man we really need some more family cloth. And TADA! I ran across your post!

Thanks again!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page