Wish me luck... I'm making my first flapper dress costume! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-13-2010, 12:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a marathon session over here - starting tomorrow! LOL! I'm making my first 1920's style flapper dress costume. I bought all of my supplies today, except for the fringe. I had no idea fringe was soooo expensive! I'll put that on last so I know exactly how much I'll need. Here is the link... http://www.simplicity.com/p-3198-girls-costumes.aspx

I'm making it in black like the picture, but not with the sequin-like fabric. I'm just going to do some sparkle-y trim. And I'm lengthening it a bit to reach knee-length, maybe a tad below the knee.

I have one week to complete it and find a feather boa! It is for dd to wear in a local theatrical production taking place next Saturday. I'll let you know how it turns out!

All natural sahm to dd1(12yo) and dd2(6yo). Married 16 years.

Time for the Master Tonic! thumb.gif

#2 of 11 Old 08-13-2010, 01:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Check JoAnn's for the boa. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...ODID=xprd77479 Or a craft store.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#3 of 11 Old 08-13-2010, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post
Check JoAnn's for the boa. http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/p...ODID=xprd77479 Or a craft store.
Great idea... Thanks! I wasn't sure where to start looking... A few years ago I saw one in the dress up section of a local toy store, but I don't think they are in business anymore.

#4 of 11 Old 08-13-2010, 10:15 PM

You're welcome. When you are done with the costume, I would love to see a picture if you would be so inclined.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
#5 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Major kink in the works.... Got into a bit of a mishap washing the mandolin slicer. My index finger is out of commission for now! This is going to set me back quite a bit. Hope I can get it done... I really didn't want to go OTR!

#6 of 11 Old 08-16-2010, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewchris2642 View Post
You're welcome. When you are done with the costume, I would love to see a picture if you would be so inclined.
No problem.... if I ever get it done!

#7 of 11 Old 08-17-2010, 11:08 AM

Man, that sucks. I did that but with a broken glass instead. I was washing dishes and the glass broke while I was washing it. I got a big gash on my right index finger's nuckle. And now I have a scar bump because I kept bending the finger.

Can you set up the sewing machine permanently so you can sew whenever you have the time? That way you can sew whenever you have a few minutes instead of wasting time in set up and put away.

#8 of 11 Old 08-18-2010, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Machine is up on dining rm table. I am just now getting back to using my finger. I'm planning to finish the dress tonight after the kiddos are in bed... All but the fringe, anyway. I'll get that at joanns tomorrow! (Providing my car battery is ok... I went out to find it dead this morning and had to call my FIL for a jump-start!)

UGH! Nothing like a little pressure... We're having about 50-60 people over after the show for a picnic to celebrate so I've got food to prepare (I'm doing the desserts and my SIL is doing the meal), my whole house to clean, and a boat-load of laundry to do....

Better get off of the computer and start working!

#9 of 11 Old 08-19-2010, 11:12 AM

With all that other stuff, no wonder that you allowed a week for the costume. I was wondering why you allowed that much time for a garment that would take about 5 hours to sew. Well, at least it would take me 5 hours. But then I sew fast and have had over 30 years of practice at it so much of it I don't have to think about. And since my first choice is to sew, I'll neglect everything else, especially housework and cooking.

#10 of 11 Old 08-23-2010, 12:15 PM - Thread Starter

Well.... I finished the dress about an hour before show time! Dd looked great and I got a lot of compliments. I didn't have time to do the bolero and omitted the sparkle-y trim around the arms. There were a few places where the stitching wasn't perfectly straight and the sparkle-y ribbon puckered a little bit (though I could pretty much fix that w/the iron), but unless you looked real close when the dress was hanging perfectly straight, you couldn't tell.... especially the audience.

As I was finishing I kept saying to myself, "I'll never do this again!" LOL! The biggest issue I had was with my fabric marker - dark purple disappearing ink on that black fabric... not a good combination. But I knew I wouldn't get a chance to wash the dress after the fringe was on (it went on last) so I wanted something disappearing!

I actually got all of the cleaning done, too, though I did have to stash some things in the basement, lol! I never got a chance to make dessert, so I bought an assortment of cookies and arranged them on a large, fancy catering tray. A couple of other people brought desserts, so there was plenty.

All-in-all, it was a very stressful, exhausting, and a painful (due to my finger) week and I am in need of a vacation!

#11 of 11 Old 08-24-2010, 11:07 AM

Congratulations. Don't sweat the imperfections. I bet that no one but you even noticed. One the most important things I have learned in my many years of dressmaking is that in most cases good enough out rants perfect any day. You deserve at least a day off. Declare a couch potato day, grab a movie, some popcorn, and sent out for pizza. Spread a blanket on the living room floor and have a picnic.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page