Help me turn a negative into a positive! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-14-2010, 01:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So long story short, DS broke his leg a week before his second birthday. He's got a short cast on it that's hardly slowing him down, but I'm doing a bit of rethinking for his birthday party.

On my other thread someone suggested making a "cast" for each guest to decorate (or I suppose we could do just one and make it a group project?), but I have no idea how to do that. I thought about aiming for a boot shape but it seems like it could be kinda tricky ...

Can someone craftier than I come up with a way to maybe do this? It'd be so great to turn a negative into a positive!

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#2 of 4 Old 08-14-2010, 01:42 AM

You could go to the craft store and get the moldable mesh and them cast it with the stripes of cast material they sell. You just dip the strips in water.

~jen~ )O( mama to k 07/05 o 5/08 and c 12/09
#3 of 4 Old 08-14-2010, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

See? This is why I need help - I didn't even know they sell moldable mesh and cast strips! :P Do they have any special names for them? Is the moldable mesh just lightweight metal mesh of some kind, like metal window screen? Or is the grid bigger than that?

- C reading.gif + Tsuperhero.gif = DS 08/08 bouncy.gif  DD 02/12 angel.gif and D? praying.gif sometime around March 16/2014 

#4 of 4 Old 08-14-2010, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
IM not sure about the time on this but you could paper mache. Im forgetting the drying time on this (you may have to pre-make them)

You could get the long balloons and twist them into the shape needed and paper mache over them- making a 'cast'. When dry then you can paint or applique as needed.

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page