Best website to learn how to crochet - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-20-2010, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wanting to learn how to crochet but I am a slow learner lol. I have a booklet about learning how and have watched you tube videos and can get the first row done of the single crochet (I think that is what it is called) but I have a hard time getting the second row going.

So what are your best tips/sites for a beginner?

Thanks so much, I am looking forward to making washrags as my first projects!

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#2 of 5 Old 08-24-2010, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

ok well scratch crocheting I used you tube videos and learned how to knit lol. Making a dish towel now and will do matching washrags when done.

~Katie~ married to J, mom to DD- A 13 yrs ,DS- L 7yrs , and my little nursling DD2- R 5yrs.

crochetsmilie.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-13-2010, 01:29 PM

If you're still interested, this lady has a series of fantastic youtube crochet videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/tjw1963

Happy knitting and crocheting!
#4 of 5 Old 09-16-2010, 02:13 PM

Disclaimer: I'm no crochet expert, but I am entirely self-taught and have been crocheting for about six months now.

This video taught me how to make my very first crochet project, a simple blanket. I've watched dozens of other YouTube crochet videos, but this is still the best I've ever found for a beginner: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfFRoZxeNrU

His other videos are great too: http://www.youtube.com/user/mikeyssmail

I think the best way to learn is just to start doing it. Trial and error is a great way to figure out the basics.

The other thing that has really really helped me is this little book: The Crochet Answer Book: Solutions to Every Problem You'll Ever Face; Answers to Every Question You'll Ever Ask

It's this little indexed handbook that helps you figure things out as you go. Like, why won't this project lay flat? How do I make a granny square? Instead of wading through long explanatory chapters, you get a quick and dirty explanation on one or two short pages. It's like having a very patient teacher sitting next to you, ready to answer your common questions.

I used it constantly at first, and still reference it occasionally. One of these days I'm going to crochet a little protective cover for it.

Loving wife partners.gif and mama to my sweet little son coolshine.gif (Fall 2008) and a beautiful baby girl babyf.gif(Fall 2010)

When a stupid man is doing something he is ashamed of, he always declares that it is his duty. --George Bernard Shaw

#5 of 5 Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 AM

Katie, I can totally understand your troubles with crocheting.
I have been knitting for a few years but I just cannot get crochet.
I was trying to make square coasters. One turned into a triangle and the other turned into a semi-circle. I have no idea why???

I will check out these video ideas because I want to make several small things and I don't like dpns.

Happy knitting!

Mama Gina

flower.gif hippie.gif knit.gifhomeschool.gif  h20homebirth.gif  namaste.gif
Noah 14bikenew.gif, Emma 12 flowerkitty.gif, and Andrew 8 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page