Mothering Forum banner

Need help- dying prefolds

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  myfairbabies 
#1 ·
I know I need to buy dylons brand dye or something similar, but I was wondering if any of you crafty mamas have done this before and how you did yours? How many prefolds were you able to dye for each package of dye? I have 50 prefolds coming in the mail and I want to dye about 40 or so of them, so I am trying to figure out how many packages I need to buy.

TIA,
Veronica

Also, if you have any pics of ones you have done I would LOVE to see your work

See less See more
#2 ·
not sure how many you can dye w/ one packet, but I have a few tips...

-fully prep the prefolds before you dye. the more of the natural oils you get out the better the dye will take.
-whatever you do do not use RIT. it bleeds really bad & fades fast. I like dylon & can get it at Joanns (was on sale last week).
-dye in plastic 5gal buckets from the hardware store. they are easy to stir in, hold quite a bit, & really easy to dump / clean after.

#3 ·
Don't use Dylon. It may not contain enough fixative to set the dye--and you could have bleeding diapers as a result.

Check out dharmatrading.com for procion dyes and synthropol. You won't need much of the synthropol--the low foam pint size will more than do you. To save on shipping, get soda ash at a swimming pool supply store or at Walmart with the pool care stuff.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnyMcFluff View Post
Don't use Dylon. It may not contain enough fixative to set the dye--and you could have bleeding diapers as a result.

Check out dharmatrading.com for procion dyes and synthropol. You won't need much of the synthropol--the low foam pint size will more than do you. To save on shipping, get soda ash at a swimming pool supply store or at Walmart with the pool care stuff.
really? I have not had any problems w/ dylon

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by BunnyMcFluff View Post

I would advocate getting your dye through Dharma b/c it's cheaper per oz. You can get the 2 oz(or is it 4?) and that would be plenty to do some prefolds. If you know anybody who has a pool, ask em if you can borrow a cup of PhUP
As for the synthaprol, it's good to have but a mild detergent will get you by.

Also, if you have a fine arts supply store in your area, they probably carry jacquard brand procion dyes. It's the same that Dharma uses, except that Dharma builds on jacquard by mixing dyes to create a wider range of colors.

Two thoughts on the Dylon not working properly...Possibly the all-purpose dye was used instead of the cold water dye or, either the time or temp wsn't right thus causing the dye not to fully react with the fiber.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.