anyone make nursing nightgowns, tips? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-04-2010, 04:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I decided that I should just make a few of my own nursing gowns for when this baby comes. I've had a few with every baby and for me it really makes a difference in ease at night time. Really I cant fathom spending over $30 for a nursing gown (mainly due to size-even the "cheap" ones from walmart/motherhood) plus I just got a serger and thought it be a good use of the "lettuce edge" on it. Plus joanns is having a sale soon on their jersey knit.

any tips or ideas? I think Im getting this pattern kwik sew 3327 and then just serging it basically to get them done up faster. but if anyone has a better/easier pattern or any ideas it would be appreciated.

http://www.kwiksew.com/catalog/cat_detail.cfm?pid=3327
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2010, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I use this KwikSew book for my nightgowns. http://www.kwiksew.com/catalog/Book_...=Book_Lingerie I made the square neck gown and had it button done the front. Personal preference. I just don't like the nursing slits on tops or gowns. I could slip the gown over my head without unbuttoning it but could unbutton for nursing. Now that I'm not nursing, I make the teddy or slip pattern as a nightgown.

Chris--extended breastfeeding, cloth diapering, babywearing, co-sleeping, APing, CLW, homeschooling before any of this was a trend mom to Joy (1/78), Erica (8/80), Angela (9/84), Dylan (2/98)
Old 09-04-2010, 11:50 PM

Have you thought about doing a regular styled gown with slits and velcro at the shoulder area? I know it's not quite what you are asking but I have thought about making nursing shirts this way too. Pretty sexy if I say so myself.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:19 AM

Haven't made it yet, but I just got a pattern from nearsea naturals for a nursing top that can also be made as a nursing nightgown and it has a tutorial on lettuce edging!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:04 AM

Not sure what type of night gown you like but here are a few Ive ran across
Elizabeth Lee Nursing Gown
Sweetheart gown- I love this one because you can make a matching one for the baby.
Since this is button down it would work for a nursing gown
Another one with buttons that would work for a nursing gown
A more mainstream pattern that could be easily altered to make nursing accessible

Im sure there are more patterns out there as well. Also, look at the clearance portion of clothing stores. I got a couple nightgowns that were suppose to be open top for other reasons but I sewed snaps on them to snap them up and they work well for nursing gowns. They were like 2.00 each and another 50 cents for snaps.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005

User Tag List