door draft stoppers: sewn or crocheted? what kind of filling? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-10-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi mamas,
I want to make some door draft stoppers for our house this winter, and am wondering whether it would be best to have fabric (sewn) ones or crocheted ones. I am open to either option, but it seems to me that one would have to use a really fine gauge on a crochet project to keep the stuffing from coming out, or have some kind of fabric liner anyway (in which case, why not just sew one?). What has worked for you??

Also, I'm wondering about filling them. I know I an use rice or beans, sand or pebbles, plastic pellets and quilt batting, and so forth. Has anyone had a problem with rice or beans attracting pests or causing any other difficulties? Or have you had a problem with plastic pellets not being weighty enough?

And, hmm, after writing all that I kind of wonder...do draft stoppers REALLY make that much difference in keeping your house warmer and utility bills lower? What has been your experience?

Thank you so much!
#2 of 6 Old 09-10-2010, 02:38 PM

I sewed up a bunch and filled them with rice.They worked great and I've had no problems with pests.If it makes a difference or not,I think really depends on your draft.I first made them for a house that had old windows and the draft was horrible and it really helped warm up the room but if you don't really have a draft problem I don't see how they would really make a difference.I also put one infront of the kitchen door and no longer had cold feet while I was in there.Totally worth it too me.

#3 of 6 Old 09-12-2010, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My mum has made several filled with cut up scraps of fabric, generally old t shirts, socks etc. Providing you stuff them hard enough the seem heavy enough to stay in place.

We have a couple and they do cut down on the drafts, they just get in the way when I want to open the door.
#4 of 6 Old 09-12-2010, 03:57 PM

My daughter uses one to cut down on noise and light. I prefer them stuffed with non food items so they are washable and light weight.
#5 of 6 Old 09-13-2010, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for all the ideas, everyone!
#6 of 6 Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 AM

We make these out of old neckties-- stuffed with whatever you like, and sew on felt eyes and a tongue so they look like snakes

Tags
Arts Crafts

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page