How much to charge? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-17-2010, 04:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure if this is where to post... but its a question about diapering so this seems like a good place.

I've been asked to sew a stash of cloth diapers for a friend's friend. I've sewn tons of diapers before - two girlfriends asked me to make their stashes but both times they paid for the materials and I 'gifted' my time and labour to make them as a baby gift.

I've only ever made Rita Rump Pocket diapers. I know that they have their limitations but both the friends I've made them for said that they're a good diaper. Plus they're easy to sew!

My question is - how much do I charge this lady?! I don't want to over price but I also don't want to under charge! I've looked around online and I see that a lot of pocket diapers go for $10 a piece... is that asking too much for a RRP diaper with velcro plus two inserts? My first inclination was to charge closer to $5 or $6.

What are your thoughts?

-Deedee
#2 of 4 Old 09-20-2010, 10:44 PM

I'd charge materials + time, paying yourself at least minimum wage for your area.
#3 of 4 Old 09-21-2010, 09:58 AM

i agree that materials+time is a good starting point. $10 per diaper sounds quite low to me, i'm in canada, and a prefold+cover combo would easily come to at least $15. if you're not sure that your abilities are really on par with store-bought, then i can see charging less, but don't short-change yourself!
#4 of 4 Old 09-24-2010, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

I ended up agreeing to be paid hourly if she'll cover the cost of the materials. So, I'll charge $10 an hour. I'm quite confident in my sewing abilities... so this sounds like a good plan. I figure I can make 2 diapers in that time so she's getting a good deal.

Thanks for your input, guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page