Fleecy Pants! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 09-18-2010, 11:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS decided about six months ago that he will only wear "soft" pants and shorts. Now that it is getting cooler, he is in dire need of pants, so I decided to check out JoAnn's today and see what I could find. Lookie, lookie what I made!

Their fleece is half off right now, so these only cost around $4 per pair. I am so in love with these patterns!

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#2 of 25 Old 09-19-2010, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

29 views and no replies. Feeling a little self conscious and removed the links.

Formerly single Mama to the zaniest boy on the block, born on my birthday on 3/28/07. Soon to be Mama to a new little and can't wait to bfinfant.gif and femalesling.GIF and familybed1.gif again! 
#3 of 25 Old 09-19-2010, 08:24 PM

just came back from joann's and love their fleece. Super cute patterns this yr. My boys are "soft" pant junkies too in the winter (they really dont want to wear denim if possible) have you tried flannel? I know its normallly pj material but really in the winter we dont go out as much and their are some really nice flannel that you wouldnt tell if you didnt actually feel it plus on a cold winter day nothing beats wearing warm fuzzy pants and staying indoors
#4 of 25 Old 09-19-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post
29 views and no replies. Feeling a little self conscious and removed the links.
I just saw this thread and I would love to see your links, especially as I have been gifted 4 yards of lime green fleece and I need to figure out something to do with it.... and looking at what other mama's make is very inspiring

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#5 of 25 Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Lime green would make fabulous pants! I decided after making these that I am going to hit up the fleece sale the next time it is half off at JoAnn's and make him all sorts of them in super bright colors with patches on the knees of printed fleece. It is just impossible to find bright clothing for boys once they hit the 4T and up sizes. Everything is brown/navy blue/grey/black/tan. It drives me batty!

Anyway, here are the pants: Polka-Dots and Peace. They are just a basic pattern that I traced from a pair of his own pants. I added pockets using a zig zag stitch around the edge of them and they turned out great. (I think so anyway) He is a huge fan of them, and really wants more so he can wear them every day.

#6 of 25 Old 09-20-2010, 11:15 PM

Thanks for putting the links back up, I read your first post like 7 times figuring I was missing something.. I almost posted asking for the link when I saw the reply.

I love those pants! they look so comfortable! I have to say my favorites are the peace signs. Oh and by the way, your son is adorable and he looks so happy with his new pants.

I might have to make something like that for my girls, they wear skirts during the day but I like them to wear pants under when we go out to the park or some other place they are going to be playing a lot. Unfortunately Im running into a problem finding pants that fit them so I'm stuck making pants for them (not that they mind, they love being able to choose the fabric/print/style of their clothes).

ETA: By the way I have problems finding brightly colored girl clothes in bigger sizes too. I don't know if its where I live (its pretty bad when you hear teens comment on the little girl clothes saying that their parents wouldn't even let them as teens wear that) but I wanted to get a nice dress for DD1 and all they had color wise was black, brown, red, white or princesses-which was pink.

~Heather~ Mama to Miss E (1/07), Miss A (11/08), Mr.T (2/11) and Miss A (10/12) Expecting our newest blessing sometime late Sept/early Oct.. Wife to my Marine since 11/2005
#7 of 25 Old 09-21-2010, 08:51 PM

Those trousers will put a smile on his face every time he puts them on!

My eldest would only wear what he called 'soffy' trousers and now that he is 17 and wearing a work uniform (engineering) he isn't that comfortable.

Fleece is very forgiving for the sewer and also hard wearing for kids so you can't go wrong
#8 of 25 Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 AM

Those are great! I have been making dd leggings, but my pattern won't work for fleece, I don't think, and it would be great to have a few prs for cold weather. I've never made my own pattern before... Are you using 4 pcs or 2?
#9 of 25 Old 09-22-2010, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

2 piece. The fold over and the seam is on the inside of the legs. I sew a big "U" to do the legs.

#10 of 25 Old 09-23-2010, 05:14 PM

Those polka-dot pants are the awesomest ever! I am in the process of sewing my kid's winter pants and jammies right now. Thanks for sharing!

hh2.gif Proud Mama to DS1 09/07 ribboncesarean.gif, DD 07/09 hbac.gif, and DS2 06/11 uc.jpg.  Feeling more and more blessed with each day!

#11 of 25 Old 09-23-2010, 05:23 PM

Yeah for fleecy soft pants ! I bought a bunch of fleece last time it was on sale at Joannes and you have inspired me to at least go look and see what I've got!

Someone above mentioned flannel...y'know I've been seriously thinking about making myself a flannel skirt for the winter. I'll bet if I made it in a nice grey nobody would ever know...
#12 of 25 Old 09-24-2010, 12:20 PM

Those look comfy! Love the peace signs. I need to make some for my boys for winter. They are too casual to wear to school (the boys are older), but they'd be great for weekends or evenings, or pajamas. And older DS is so hard to buy pants for (he's between sizes and picky), that the fleece seems like it would be super comfy. And I love the fact that you don't need to worry about the seams fraying! Your DS looks so proud of his comfy pants!
#13 of 25 Old 09-27-2010, 04:47 PM

not sure if joann's still has it but last winter I was able to get a fleece with various monsters on it (very cute bright print with silly monsters on it) the boys loved it in fact I also got it in flannel for a quilt for them.

Love fleece its so forgiving because it hides the stiches very well if your not a straight sewer (like me) plus its sooooooo comfy.

btw LOVe the pants!
#14 of 25 Old 09-29-2010, 10:53 AM

I'm glad you put the links back up!! Very cute pants!

Jenn: WOHM to a big girl (7/03), a medium girl (8/07), and a little girl (12/10)
#15 of 25 Old 10-05-2010, 08:36 PM

they look great!! So excited to sew up my lime green fleece

My babies were born at home! 09/07, 01/10, and 09/12 joy.gif

#16 of 25 Old 10-05-2010, 11:47 PM

Ok, I think we need a fleecy pant tutorial. :P

(Mostly because I'm trying to envision exactly how to do them... )
#17 of 25 Old 10-06-2010, 12:52 AM

fyi....joanns is having a huge sale on 10/3-10/8 and their fleece will be 3.99 a yd!! Told the boys that they will get to pick out a few choices for their pants this winter.
#18 of 25 Old 11-07-2010, 02:43 PM

Very cute, I'd like to make some. Do you use a pattern?

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#19 of 25 Old 11-07-2010, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I hadn't checked this thread in a while. I just took a pair of DS's pants, turned them inside out and folded them in half so the crotch makes a half "U" shape and cut the fleece out using the pants as a pattern. You need to stretch the elastic of the pattern pants to make sure the waist is the right width and add three or four inches at the top to make it fold over for the waist band and that is pretty much it!

Now I want pictures of everyone's new fleecy pants!

#20 of 25 Old 11-08-2010, 02:08 AM

Those are great! I make a pair for my kids for Christmas every year, and use a similar "pattern".

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#21 of 25 Old 11-10-2010, 05:28 AM

love the fleece...wish we had joanne in canada ...fabricland sucks!!!

nak

mom to ds '07 first day of a new year, dd '09 in the caul, and  ds '11 at home Oct 24th

#22 of 25 Old 11-10-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_Pie View Post

Sorry, I hadn't checked this thread in a while. I just took a pair of DS's pants, turned them inside out and folded them in half so the crotch makes a half "U" shape and cut the fleece out using the pants as a pattern. You need to stretch the elastic of the pattern pants to make sure the waist is the right width and add three or four inches at the top to make it fold over for the waist band and that is pretty much it!

Now I want pictures of everyone's new fleecy pants!

I bought the fleece the other day. Now to cut it out using her pants as a pattern. Hope it turns out. I'll post pictures if I manage to make them look like pants wink1.gif

chicken3.gifdog2.gifcat.gifenergy.gif
#23 of 25 Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 PM

Very nice, OP!  I love making pants.  I wait for the $0.99 pattern sale at Joann and then get one PJ pattern with pants and use it for all of DD's pants.  I don't have photos of pants, but here she is in pjs I made (flannel):

026 - Copy.JPG

They had elastic leg cuffs at one point but they didn't seem comfortable, so I cut them....  PJs are super forgiving!

#24 of 25 Old 12-31-2010, 09:58 PM

where's the link for the fleece pants? i was just today thinking about making fleecs pants for my daughter. i would love to have a look. pls repost links or PM me. many thanks.

#25 of 25 Old 01-04-2011, 05:47 PM

I think yours are super  cute :)

I love making fleece pants for my kids--you can add a yoga waistband and then you don't have to use elastic at all.

I couldn't tell on the photo if you used elastic-but I thought I would share that tidbit of info.

I am going to have to make it out to get some fleece while its on sale!!

mother, wife, sister, friend--step mom to one grown man and mommy to 3 boys-ages 19, 10 and 4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page